Lighting/Season Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
I've read that several people change the lenght of time their lights are on when the time/season changes. I was wondering if this was necessary? I have timers for my lights but with my work schedule it really can't be reduced with out skipping a meal. They come on at 6:30AM and off at 8PM, giving 13 1/2 hours per day. This is so that I can feed them at 7:30AM right before I leave for work then again at 6:00PM when I get home. This gives them an hour before breakfast and two hours after supper. Will this schedule be okay to keep year round? When they are adults and no longer eat twice a day it will be easy to reduce the lighting hours, but for now, I can't see how it's possible.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
If they are juviniles I wouldn't shorten the light schedule.

With my 11yr old beardie I turn off his lights when i notice he has gone to sleep during the winter months, this can be anywhere from 12:00pm to 9pm depending on him. He chooses his brumation pattern I just act like a good slave and do as he tells me.

Kalyn

Draxx

Admittedly apples and oranges, but I try with my other reptiles on timers (Crested gecko, fire belly frogs) to mirror the actual sunrise, sunset times.

I just changed all my timers to go on at 6:00 am and off at 5pm to reflect the season and time change. I can see the challenge of doing this with a juvie dragon that must eat a couple times a day tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom