lighting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently bought a vivaruim with a bearded dragon he/she is doing fine eat crickets and some veg but my question is when i go to bed at night do i turn both lights off and leave the heat matt on or shall i leave one light on im rather confused i turn all his/her light off at night at 8 then turn them on just before work at 8 i leave the lights on throught the day he/she seems to be okay but im not sure if it is the correct way to do things if anyone can help me it will be very helpful thank you :?

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
My beardie's light come on at 8:30AM and they are set to go off at 10:30PM. So I have 14 hours of daylight and 10 hours of night. The lights are to go off COMPLETELY during the night, even infrared bulbs could disturb their sleep.

mike91383

Hatchling Member
I have been doing a lot of research on the Mega Ray both uv and non UV. The http://www.reptileuv.com/ has a lot of information on lighting and its setup. The thing to remember is "lighting is a process, not a bulb". You will need two dome lights. For one of them you will need a 50 watt Halogen bulb or greater that puts out 4,000 lumens. Depending on the distance from the face of the bulb to your Beardie you may need a higher watt bulb. Remember that Watts = Heat put out. In the second dome light you will need Mega Ray Self-ballasted 100 watt MVB/UVB or Mega-Ray External Ballasted Kits 60 watt Flood UVB Lamp Kit or T- Rex Active UVB Self-ballasted MVB. Either one of these are a great choice for a 40 gallon Breeder. Third is a Full Spectrum Fluorescent that can put out at least 5,000 lumens. All of the lights should be on timers to come on at different times during a 12 hour cycle. First the halogen between 7-8 am to 7-8pm. Next use the Mega Ray or T- Rex between 9-10am to 5-6pm. Then use the Fluorescent between 10 -11am to 3-4pm. And what this does is gives your reptile a more nature sunrise to sunset simulation. This will create a healthier immune system and physiological well being. I hope this helps. And like they say on retileuv.com "lighting is a process, not a bulb".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom