Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking to buy a timer for my beardie. He has 3 lights on during the day and one on at night.What do you suggest the best timer is. I really dont have a budget so anything will do but under 70$ will be best. I want one that is easy to use and is reliable. What do you guys think? Links will help.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
He should only need 2 lights on during the day, period. No lights at night, unless your temps get under 65 degrees in the house. If they do, you need a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which lets off no light. Their sleep cycle is disturbed even by red "nocturnal" lights. The only 2 lights you should have on during the day are a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb and a basking light (which can be a household bulb).

I've bought my "double timers" on ebay with no problems. I think they were under $15.

MangoFeet3

Original Poster
well the reason i have so many lights during the day is cause the one basking light wont get it hot enough in his tank. it will keep it around 70 degrees. so i have another on that keeps its at 90 on one side and 70 on the other. and it gets to cold at night. it will drop below 65 degrees. his night light keeps its at about 67 or 68.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, I wanted to mention that if 90 is the basking temp, that isn't hot enough to allow for proper digestion. The minimum for the basking spot is 95 and the maximum is 110. The cool side should be 78 to 82 with 80 being ideal. I looked at the pics of your setup and noticed that you have the stick-on round gauge thermometers stuck to your tank. If those are the only type of thermometers you're using, they can be off as much as 20 degrees. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either an infrared temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. If he is spending all day in the basking spot, he probably isn't hot enough but you have to make sure that you're using an accurate thermometer so you know if you need to increase the wattages or not. What size tank is he in and what wattage basking bulbs are you using? How is his appetite and pooping schedule?

I also wanted to mention that red and black lights can disturb their sleep so if you need night heating, a ceramic heat emitter would be best, they give off heat but no light.

MangoFeet3

Original Poster
Im not sure the wattage in of the bulbs. I think they are 75. but his appetite is really good. he eats a bowl of greens in the morning and at night. and eat about 8 to 10 crickets in morning and night. he eats like a champ. and as far as pooping goes. he poops just about every morning. sometimes he will skip a day. but he is pretty regular. and it all looks normal. my buddy has raised 2 beardies and he said that elvis looks good and is acting normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom