lighting help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillee

any suggestions for good regular bulbs (household bulbs, not heat bulbs or uvb - i have those already) to help light my beardie’s tank?? my uva/uvb lights aren’t putting off enough to significantly brighten the tank, so just looking for a good one to help it be brighter during the day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lillee":lncwi3cg said:
any suggestions for good regular bulbs (household bulbs, not heat bulbs or uvb - i have those already) to help light my beardie’s tank?? my uva/uvb lights aren’t putting off enough to significantly brighten the tank, so just looking for a good one to help it be brighter during the day.

upgrade from compacts to a T5ho 12% uvb tube.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can try household LEDs. Just make sure the light they put off isnt too glaring. If it is you can angle the bulb or place a diffuser in front of it.

If you use a long tube uvb bulb in conjunction with a basking bulb that should usually be enough light for the whole tank.

But to answer your question, the LEDs would be the way to go since I imagine you're wanting to add light near the cool side and not add more heat.
You could also get just a regular t8 bulb and fixture to add light to your tank since they span long distances.

-Brandon

Depending on inches you need. 18" 24" 36" can use under cabinet lighting usually comes with a basic light bulb. They don't give off much heat mostly light. Make good uvb fixtures to if your mounting inside the enclosure. I just replaced the bulb with a uvb bulb for a 40gal breeder tank. Have smaller one on petmountain think it's 14 inches. Can put it on top and replace the reptisun 5.0 it comes with. Just few ideas for you. Can find them on Amazon and some hardware stores. Better selection online of course. Had the same issue with my rock iguana when she was in a 40 gallon breeder. Used Mercury vapor bulb mega-ray and 100 watt basic for heat to. Cool end was to dark so added under cabinet fixture along the top 24" and problem solved. Hope this helps.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":hoa92jtr said:
You can try household LEDs.
+1

If you use a long tube uvb bulb in conjunction with a basking bulb that should usually be enough light for the whole tank.
Maybe. It wasn't in my case; it was really dark on the cold side, and since I incorporated quite a few live plants... I wound up getting another Sunblaster, and using the (plant) bulb it came with. The amount of light still isn't great for the plants; in retrospect I probably should have gotten a double fixture. One is probably OK for an enclosure w/o plants, but it definitely needed more than just the UVB and basking lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom