Lighting help, not warm enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help with lighting. I have attached a picture of Falkor's tank below. He likes to bask on his rock (I'm sure it's warm from the basking bulb) and he climbs up to the top of the stick on the right of the tank to get closer to the basking bulb. I have the thermometer in there and I took temps in various places the hottest it got was 91 degrees all the way up near the top of his stick where he sits! He is in a 75 gallon tank with a screen top (I have dogs and if he got out they would probably eat him, I am very paranoid) with a 150 watt "All living things" basking bulb, at night I put on his 150 watt red heat bulb. Right now I have the red bulb and the basking bulb on near each other for more heat. He doesn't seem like he is cold because he is hanging out more on his rock then up close to the basking bulb like in the picture. He even sleeps on the rock. Do any of you smart Beardie lovers have any ideas for a better way to warm up his tank? I was thinking of maybe using the clamps I have to bring the bulbs down closer and lowering the stick he sits on so he can't get out, the problem is, his UVB has to sit on the screen top (it's on the left in the pic). Any input would be greatly appreciated and feel free to ask me any more questions about his set up.
Falkorstank002.jpg

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
a 150w bulb is only getting to 91 degrees?

Anyways a couple of things. Either the 150w bulb is faulty or your temperature readings are off. I use a 60w house bulb, that is 14 inches from the top of my 75 gallon long and it hits 105 F no problems. I use a temp gun for the readings.

Is the "All Living Things" a mercury vapor bulb? I see no UVB tube light so I hope it is a Mercury vapor bulb.

Do you use a digital thermometer or a temp gun? Both are good, temp guns being more accurate.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Yep, just 91 degrees. The UVB tube is on the top of the tank, left side. I have a digital thermometer. I am going to try and get a better reading tomorrow. I may try getting a new 150 watt, I've had this one for awhile but I didn't think that would matter. My bulb is 19 inches away from the bottom of the tank, I just measured it.
Where did you get your temp gun? I've never seen them.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
I got mine from a Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=temp+gun

That's their website, but they could have a store near you. I got the Non-Contact Laser Thermometer (not the pocket one)

Ok so for the 91 degree measurement, that is taken at the 19" mark, or up on his log where it's closer? 91 degrees going 19 inches down would make more sense. But because you said the log itself that's much closer read the 91, that is what seems way off to me.

The screen is probably taking in a lot of the heat as well. Which is why you could have a lower reading.

The Tube UVB should be between 6-8 inches of the beardy. I'm not sure how you could hang it lower because I can't see the top of the tank.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Thanks! I don't have much out here where I live, I order most of my stuff online.
The 91 degree measurement was taken where Falkor basks normally, which is pretty close to the bulb. I think the screen top may have been messing things up, which stinks because I do need it.
I did some adjustments (see the pic below) I clamped the basking bulb to the screen top and lowered it, which means I need to leave the screen top open some but he can't get out. Now I have a reading of about 105 where he likes to lay on the rock. There was a lot of head bobbing at first (he wasn't too sure of the new lighting placement) but now he is basking under it. I have researched a few things and I am going to order him a Zoo Med 150 watt incandescent spot lamp, I'm not too sure about the All Living Things bulb. I am also getting him a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB to replace the one he has.
Falkorlighting.jpg

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Ok, it's good that you got the temps to 105 F. But be careful. Lights at angles tend to cause glare at the reptiles view and usually they dislike this.

You want to *try* to put the light directly down. Maybe not get such a long domed fixture? 19 inches is a decent amount to work with. But I see you want him to be able to bask on that rock.

One way I can think of is change the screen top a little? I'm not sure how handy you are. But this isn't too difficult. If you were to make the side with the lights a wood top, instead of screen (I.e get rid of the screen on that side). You could mount the fixture to the top, and cut an opening in the lid.

Here's mine.
000_0007-5.jpg

It doesn't show it the best. But the left side where the dome fixture is, is a wood top with a screen vent off to the side. I cut a hole just smaller than the circumference of the fixture in the lid. Placed the fixture on the lid and then screwed down around the outside of the fixture. My cats can't get in, the fixture can't fall in the enclosure or get knocked off. And the heat doesn't have to go through a screen.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
I'm not as handy as you are, LOL but I'm thinking I may cut a hole in the screen top or rig some way to hang the basking bulb from the screen top. Maybe cut smaller holes and use zip ties attached to the cord.
Another thing, I ordered a ZooMed Powersun 160 watt mercury vapor UVA/UVB. Then I saw all the stuff here on the forums about it causing problems with Beardie's eyes! Ugh, I can't win. Now I am worried.
I'm going to start working on trying to get the dome to face down more now.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Well, if you are referring to this post.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105630&start=15

That was from over a year ago. I belong to a tortoise forum, and have been for over a year. I know many, many people who use PowerSuns and have had no issues. Some actually have multiple enclosures, all using PowerSuns and their tortoises are active and healthy.

I think some of the issues people have are, they bring the bulbs too close than the recommended 12 inches for most Mercury vapor bulbs. Because they can't get the temperature right. And by doing so, making the UV rays much more potent, and when their beardy goes to bask, it soaks up too much and eventually they see issues.

I am not saying it's not a possibility that the PowerSuns are bad. But it could just have been a bad batch, or again, people using them incorrectly.

Just recently I joined this forum, but I have been dealing with reptiles for 10+ years. From reading through a lot of the posts, I can tell a lot of people are new to the whole reptile thing, which is great. But a lot don't take the time to read up on what bulbs are safe or not. So people do things that are not so good (MVBs way too close and have issues) etc.

I have never heard of the powersun issues until joining this forum. And like I said, that post was over a year ago.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Thank you so much for easing my worries. I would think that if there were issues with the bulbs they would have straightened them out by now. I just worry about my babies, all of them. This is my first pet that I've had where I'm dealing with lighting, I have Tiger Salamanders, Toads, Guinea Pigs and Dogs.
Falkor thanks you for all of your help!
14OCT2010010.jpg

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded dragons can actually see red light,unlike most reptiles. So that red light is like a lighy shining in his face at night while he sleeps.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
The red light is on top of his tank shining down. He sleeps fine with it on, as soon as I shut off his UVB and basking lamp he is out.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Or at least it appears he does. I would really consider shutting it off at niggt. As long as he is at least 65 degrees he doesnt need night heat

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
If his eyes are closed and he is stretched out on his log is he awake? He is always in the same position when I get up in the morning and check on him. Our entire house is 65 degrees I can shut it off at night but he does sleep with it on.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Just because hes asleep doesnt mean its ideal. Mine has fallen asleep right under the basking light before. Just because he can sleep with light doesnt mean its necessarily comfortable. You asked for lighting help and i was just informing you that light is not a nocturnal light for bearded dragons, it is just a dimmer version of white light to them. But if you dont care about that information im presenting you, disregard it and move on. No need to be defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom