Lighting Help for Newbies (:

smauggle

Ok, my lights are up and running!
36x18x18 tank. I've mounted a 22" Repitsun 10.0 T5 on top of my screen on one side. I've got a 150w basking bulb, and a 250w ceramic heater. My concern is my cool side. I'm maxing out at 74/75*, I haven't seen it get any higher. My warm side will maintain 115*, although it takes about an hour after lights on to get there. I have the option to dim the CHE. I've been monitoring with an indoor/outdoor thermometer with probe. I will be getting a temp gun as well, for peice of mind.
I've been talking with a breeder who recommended low-mid 80s, and up to 115 (especially for young dragons) - am I ok with 75*? Will my little guy be able to regulate on his own with this gradient? (I haven't actually bought a dragon yet, I don't want to hassle this guy with too many questions yet)

beardy27

Question regarding basking light color temp. So I keep reading that the color of the basking light should be around the 5500K -6500K to simulate daylight. My question is where can I get these? The one I use now and most of the ones I see at the pet stores are warm tones. The one I am using now is around 2600K exo terra incandesent bulb.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
smauggle":6ol7g1sd said:
Ok, my lights are up and running!
36x18x18 tank. I've mounted a 22" Repitsun 10.0 T5 on top of my screen on one side. I've got a 150w basking bulb, and a 250w ceramic heater. My concern is my cool side. I'm maxing out at 74/75*, I haven't seen it get any higher. My warm side will maintain 115*, although it takes about an hour after lights on to get there. I have the option to dim the CHE. I've been monitoring with an indoor/outdoor thermometer with probe. I will be getting a temp gun as well, for peice of mind.
I've been talking with a breeder who recommended low-mid 80s, and up to 115 (especially for young dragons) - am I ok with 75*? Will my little guy be able to regulate on his own with this gradient? (I haven't actually bought a dragon yet, I don't want to hassle this guy with too many questions yet)
I have 2 tanks that same size and I don't even need to use a 150 watt bulb. In fact, the basking bulb in one of them is 75 watts with a 40 watt standard household light bulb on the cool side with a basking temp of 104 and cool side of 80. What is the basking SURFACE temp with the probe laying right on the basking log or rock for about 45 min? The 115 should actually be closer to 110. It doesn't seem like the CHE should be needed and if you plan on using it at night, would recommend dimming it down a lot so that the tank isn't any hotter than 80 degrees while your beardie is sleeping as they need it cooler at night. The cool side should be in the 78 to 82 range so once you get the basking temp a little lower, you could try a lower watt household bulb on the cool side to bring the temp there up a little. How old is your beardie?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
beardy27":13q64r13 said:
Question regarding basking light color temp. So I keep reading that the color of the basking light should be around the 5500K -6500K to simulate daylight. My question is where can I get these? The one I use now and most of the ones I see at the pet stores are warm tones. The one I am using now is around 2600K exo terra incandesent bulb.
This site has some full spectrum bulbs that will give you the daylight output that you're looking for. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/full-spectrum/ This company is great to deal with & will also respond via email or phone calls. Todd has a big variety of bulbs for every need.

beardy27":mb1fqakq said:

The one you have is fine. It is difficult to find a bulb in that spectrum that does not have some kind of coating on it. I and many others here use bright white halogen flood lights, par30 or par38 size.(available at home depot or lowes). They are usually around 2900k and work great.

JimmysMom

Taterbug":lg9id3lr said:
Sorry about that. I hope this is makes more sense.

Yes, you can use that fixture outside the screen. The screen filters about 30% of the light which is a problem for the T8 bulbs but T5 bulbs are strong enough that it is ok. How far away the lamp should be depends on the bulb you use, Reptisun makes a 5.0 or a 10.0 strength.

The reptisun fixture was shipping with a free Reptisun 5.0 bulb, I'm not sure if it still is or not. The 5.0 has lower UVB output than the 10.0 does, so it should be positioned a little closer to the dragon to get the same results.

When positioned at the distances I suggested you will get a decent amount of exposure (UVI of 3-5). With these bulbs it is recomended to have a photo-gradient (much like a thermal gradient) to allow your dragon to select it's exposure levels. It's like a wild dragon moving in and out of the shade. With a 36" bulb your whole enclosure will have a higher amount of UVB and you will want to make shaded areas or move the lamp further away. With a shorter lamp on the warm side you will have a good high uvb area at the basking site, and low/zero uvb on the cool side.

Taterbug....You may be the person I was looking for to help me with my issue.... :blob5:

I have a Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 24" with the 10.0 laying on top of the screen of my 40 g breeder. I want to get it off the screen and maybe mount it on the underside of a shelf over the tank. How far from my beardies back while on his basking spot can I mount it? Currently it is at 9 inches while on the screen.

84298-8406166625.jpg

valleyval21

Hello everyone! I live in North Dakota so it does get a bit chilly up here but i need some input for my new tank. It's a PVC cage so I cannot just set lights on top for a heat source and it isn't very tall so mounting a light inside probably shouldn't be attempted since my beardie might burn himself. I am thinking maybe I should cut a hole in the top so that a basking lamp can be placed above him

20150427_162742.jpg

I have removed the light from the back vent hole as well.
tank dimensions are: 36" long x 14" deep x 21" tall

20150427_162750.jpg

top of the tank

He hasn't been eating much lately and I believe it's because the temperature isn't correct. I thought of installing an under tank heater just to keep the temperature at a sufficient level but that doesn't solve my basking area dilemma. PLEAISE help me! Drogo is a family pet and everyone loves him, I would hate for him to suffer because I'm a noob :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can cut a hole in the top and fit a dome lamp on top it should work out pretty well. I'd go with a 150w dome lamp and put a light dimmer on it so you can fine tune the output and get the temps just right. You may want to put foil or similar around the edge of the hole to protect it from the heat of the bulb and of the fixture.

I would also scoot the UVB tube over to the basking side of the enclosure so the highest UVB output occurs along with the highest temperatures across the basking spot.

Hi all!

While Wayne is in his deep slumber I am building him a new, larger enclosure and need a bit of advice please. :)

He is currently in a 40g breeder with a 24" Sunblaster (w/ reflector) and a T5 bulb hanging above the cage with a mesh screen. I use a dimmable flood light for basking and a CHE for chilly nights.

His new digs will measure 60"L x 20"D x 24"H. My questions are, if I mount the 24" Sunblaster w/ T5 (w/ reflector) on the warm side, without a mesh screen:

1. Will that be enough UVB for this size enclosure or do I need to upgrade to a longer Sunblaster?

2. At 24" in height (intending on giving him a few options to climb and sleep at mid-level) will I be over-exposing him with the reflector? Or under-exposing him if it's mounted at 24"?

3. With this size enclosure, since it's an uncommon size, does anyone have any suggestions on the most optimal set-up that's worked for their beardies?

My intent is to build the enclosure with a removable top (and sliding front doors) so I can adjust lighting needs as necessary... not exactly sure how I'm doing that yet but that's the plan. :)

I've been reading and try to follow the lighting guidelines but I'm still a nervous mom that really appreciates hearing about your personal experience.

Thank you SOOOOO much in advance! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will still be sufficient and will provide plenty of UVB across the basking area at 12'' above it and there will be a good gradient down to very low levels on the cool side.

You can mount it at 24'' but just have part of the basking site sit up 12'' from the ground so it's in optimal range.

The size of your enclosure will allow you to provide a wide basking area. Perhaps you could use two or three lower wattage lights in combination to create a larger warm area with gradients around it. Something you'd need to play around with though. I'd definitely take advantage of the height and put plenty of climbing branches in.

CooperDragon":1162v8ah said:
That will still be sufficient and will provide plenty of UVB across the basking area at 12'' above it and there will be a good gradient down to very low levels on the cool side.

You can mount it at 24'' but just have part of the basking site sit up 12'' from the ground so it's in optimal range.

The size of your enclosure will allow you to provide a wide basking area. Perhaps you could use two or three lower wattage lights in combination to create a larger warm area with gradients around it. Something you'd need to play around with though. I'd definitely take advantage of the height and put plenty of climbing branches in.

Perfect! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! :)

I agree... we will definitely be taking advantage of the height so he can have multiple basking & climbing zones. :)

Thanks again!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Depending on how you setup the lights 24" is still kind of short, nice an long though! The 22" sunblaster would be fine, you could add a second 22" without a reflector to make the gradient longer.

Taterbug":1hkexg3n said:
Depending on how you setup the lights 24" is still kind of short, nice an long though! The 22" sunblaster would be fine, you could add a second 22" without a reflector to make the gradient longer.

Thanks Taterbug!

That's a great idea about a second 22" w/o the refelctor. I was worried I would be over-exposing him with another. Glad to know it will be okay!

Do you think I should increase the height to 30" or so?

My intent was to not have the lights hanging from 24" but to have their bottoms at 24"... thinking about a removable hooded top that the lights will be mounted in. Still thinking about the top though... I haven't figured out what it best yet.

My concern for making it much higher was that he wouldn't get enough light or warmth at the bottom. Thoughts?

Any and all suggestions and advice welcomed!

Thank you for taking the time again! You helped me big time when he came into our life a neglected little guy a few months ago. :) I'm happy to say he's a much healthier beardie now and we are ridiculously in love with him. :)

Thanks again! :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
My viv is 48" tall with the lights inside, so probably 36" usable spence depending on where in the cage. The 3D space really helps a lot with a diverse thermal gadient and you can get clever with lights/heat sources to get the temps you need. Pepper doesn't spend much time on the ground but it helps assure there is a cool shade area for himto get away to if he wants.

These photos may help illustrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom