Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
This is the fixture I use with the T5 http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1439274919&sr=1-3
The ViaVolt would work too, but I like to use the reflector so the lamp can be mounted further away (even outside the screen)

You want to match the wattage for safety and also to get the correct performance from your lamp. Under or overpowering it can severely alter the quality of light and the UV output IR shorten the lifespan.

Emily2014

Hi. Just wondering if you have had your reptisun positioned in the cage since he was a baby? I like the idea and have done the same to mine but I read this "A well-recognised risk associated with a lighting system where the lamps are poorly fitted is of course eye inflammation and/or infection. All lamps MUST always be fitted to the roof of an enclosure and never hung half way down the back wall.

Light from any source (and not just UV lamps) hitting the eye of an animal from the side can cause inflammation. If left untreated, this can in turn lead on to infection. So all lamps should be fitted well above the top of the vivarium occupants, with suitable reflectors being used.

I would advise fitting lamps in the corner between the roof and the front plate above the door. This ensures that the light is above the lizard and is also out of an onlooker’s direct eye line. Lamps do look ugly, particularly when they loom above attractive naturalistic décor.

You can then use your chosen decoration to generate a useable ‘solar gradient’ within the enclosure. So with the aid of a suitable reflector, a High Output T5 D3+ 12% lamp will be producing suitable levels of exposure at around 30-38cm (12-15in), as measured from the lamp to the lizard’s back at the highest point. I would advise that 20cm (8in) is too close."
From Arcadia website and was worried. Have you had any problems? Is this refferring to what you are doing in the picture? Just wondering and worried. Thanks

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Emily, alot of people have the UV mounted on the wall and don't notice any problems but the advice on the Arcadia website is good advice to follow. The first pages of this thread do suggest to hang the UVB lamp from the wall it's possible to arrange the furnishings so the dragon always has its back to the bulb but it is far from ideal. It is however the simplest way to get the tube close enough when using a cheap fixture.

I would advise the use of stronger overhead lighting whenever possible for the safety and comfort of your pet. You can mount the stronger lamps further away and outside of screen if needed. This is more natural and takes better advantage of their natural adaptations for protecting their eyes.

nucknfutz

Hi guys,

As you probably have heard countless times, we are new bearded dragon owners. I'm hoping you can help because I am so confused about this lighting stuff.

Our guy (Rex) is about a year old and we just purchased him and his whole enclosure from a guy who seems very knowledgeable about lizards and dragons (has a ton of them). It is a 40 gallon tank, food/water dish, sunning branch and rock.

It also came with 3 lights that sit on top of the wire mesh lid to the enclosure. There is a Phillips Ecovantage 72w 120v/a19 bulb in one. I think this is for the heat. Then there is a PT2186 UVB bulb (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_uvb100.php). The third looks like a red bulb for night heat, but the guy said we would only need this if the temp drops below 50 (which would never do in our house). The temp dropped into the high 60's last night and i turned it on, but Rex moved to the other end of the enclosure, so I think he was ok with it being a little cooler.

The guy we purchased from recommended a reptiglow 10.0 UVB light. Then I read on here that maybe these types of lights are great for them (eye problems or something).

I'm also trying to find a couple good digital thermometers as the ones in there now are hard to read. I was thinking of getting two of these (one for each end of the enclosure): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18QCHJMTLCL8B&coliid=I2M3ZMY615CS00&psc=1

Any recommendations or help you can provide regarding the lighting would be really appreciated. I know you guys have to buy this stuff all the time so if you have any specific recommendations (links are great :) ), it would really help a newb out.

Thanks in advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your Philips bulb just looks like a household incandescent. Is that getting the basking area up to 100-110? If not, I suggest swapping it out with a more concentrated halogen flood light or reptile basking bulb. I don't advise using the red night bulb as that can disturb sleep. If your temps go below 65 at night, you could use a ceramic heat emitting bulb at low wattage just go give the temps a little bit of a boost. You may not need it at all or just use it seasonally. For UVB I'd replace the coil with a tube style bulb. I prefer the tubes because they provide a nice wide spread of UVB across the basking area rather than a narrow, intense cone that the coil bulbs output. Here are a couple of very good options for UVB in a 40g tank
This fixture http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ
With this bulb http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-10-0-Lamp/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

Or this combo set http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

nucknfutz

CooperDragon":18p5jdrx said:
Your Philips bulb just looks like a household incandescent. Is that getting the basking area up to 100-110? If not, I suggest swapping it out with a more concentrated halogen flood light or reptile basking bulb. I don't advise using the red night bulb as that can disturb sleep. If your temps go below 65 at night, you could use a ceramic heat emitting bulb at low wattage just go give the temps a little bit of a boost. You may not need it at all or just use it seasonally. For UVB I'd replace the coil with a tube style bulb. I prefer the tubes because they provide a nice wide spread of UVB across the basking area rather than a narrow, intense cone that the coil bulbs output. Here are a couple of very good options for UVB in a 40g tank
This fixture http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ
With this bulb http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-10-0-Lamp/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

Thanks Coop. That's some great information. So would you mount the fixture inside of the tank? If so, does it matter what side it is on or will the reflector give me the ability to adjust where the light goes?

Regarding the temp, I just ordered two digital thermometers so that I can be sure what the temp is on both sides. Thanks again for your help.

Or this combo set http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, with those lights you can mount them right on top. Nice and powerful. I suggest putting the UVB light on the same side of the tank as the basking light. That will provide heat, white light, and UVB all together at the basking spot and a nice gradient downward toward the cool side of the tank.

nucknfutz

CooperDragon":2tuvw5f1 said:
Yes, with those lights you can mount them right on top. Nice and powerful. I suggest putting the UVB light on the same side of the tank as the basking light. That will provide heat, white light, and UVB all together at the basking spot and a nice gradient downward toward the cool side of the tank.

Is there a type of bulb that I should stay away from for the heat light or any old halogen flood light would be ok?

Again, I appreciate the guidance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't use one with neodymium coating or a blue tint (like GE Reveal). Those block certain wavelengths. Stick with a nice bright white bulb. I've had good luck with the Zoomed ReptiBasking spot lamp and I also have some PAR38 90w halogen flood bulbs and some BR40 halogen flood bulbs. You may want to get an adjustable lamp stand or a lamp dimmer (use dimmable bulbs) to fine tune the output so you get 100-110 in the basking area and a gradient down to 75-80 or so on the cool side of the tank.

nucknfutz

CooperDragon":2i56uqc7 said:
Don't use one with neodymium coating or a blue tint (like GE Reveal). Those block certain wavelengths. Stick with a nice bright white bulb. I've had good luck with the Zoomed ReptiBasking spot lamp and I also have some PAR38 90w halogen flood bulbs and some BR40 halogen flood bulbs. You may want to get an adjustable lamp stand or a lamp dimmer (use dimmable bulbs) to fine tune the output so you get 100-110 in the basking area and a gradient down to 75-80 or so on the cool side of the tank.

Great. Thanks.

nucknfutz

CooperDragon":1tv1e99d said:

Hi Coop,

So the UVB you recommended is on order but I'm having trouble with the heat. I was using a 65w halogen and just switched to Sylvania 90w halogen flood light 1305 brightness, but the temp is still in the low 90s. It's about 6-8 inches from the basking spot. I really thought that would do the trick but guess not. Any other bulb recommendations?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I definitely wouldn't go any closer than that. 12'' or so would be a better distance. You may need to try a bulb with more lumens (more visible light may mean more heat). The GE I have is a 90w at 1790 lumens.

nucknfutz

CooperDragon":101r1ie8 said:
I definitely wouldn't go any closer than that. 12'' or so would be a better distance. You may need to try a bulb with more lumens (more visible light may mean more heat). The GE I have is a 90w at 1790 lumens.

Ah perfect. I was afraid of going to high. Thanks again.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom