Lighting Help for Newbies (:

HLSLeO

Hatchling Member
Jess":3bmg8dyt said:
That looks great! :) Good job, there isn't anything I can criticize LOL.

Although I would love to know where you got your tiles... :wink:

i got them at the home depot and then after some measuring i cut them down to size using a tile saw... they fit pretty snug into the tank with little to no gap in between the glass and the tile... i was real happy with the outcome... :)

angrif

EDITED TO FIX PICTURES

Wanted to ask a couple followup questions. I just got my beardie from Petsmart (i'm a manager there so i like to support my store as much as I can). He's very young as we usually get them (4-6" long including his tail).

I got a zilla 40gal tank kit with a coil uvb bulb (i now know to replace), a 150w day blue light for basking/heat and a 50w night black light for nighttime heat. I am going to hit walmart tomorrow after work to get a 24" under the cabinet fixture before i get the reptisun tube (which i'll have to get somewhere else since we only sell the reptisun compacts in store) and a probe thermo. First question is this basking bulb good enough or should I replace it? The command hooks for the under cabinet fixture... is the idea to actually use the screw holes on the fixture to hang on the hook itself?

I have the basking and the uvb on a timer from about 830a to 830p.

Here is my setup from last night:
scaled.php

Here is my planned setup after i get the reptisun:
scaled.php

Here is my little Greedo:

scaled.php

Also should the water be at the farthest end from the basking lamp?

Thanks
Brad

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
The pictures aren't showing up... Are you using the IMG code?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the blue or black lights. A bright white basking light is best for them, and CHEs are excellent for night time heat. Does your Petsmart sell the Zoomed spot light basking bulbs? I really like those!

angrif

Think I have the pictures fixed. I actually have a 100w neodymium basking bulb in right now. I forgot that I got it because the tank kit didn't say what type or wattage the bulb inside was. I'll check work tomorrow but I think they may have zoomed spot lamps. If i get a CHE what wattage should I get? In a few weeks (maybe a month) I probably won't need any nighttime bulb on to keep the temp above 65, but for now it's still getting a little below that.

Kristen623

I just wanted to quickly chime in on the light fixtures. For whatever reason (wrong size, wrong shape?) I couldn't get the command hooks to grip the fixture right. So I went to the hardware store, got some industrial strength velcro, stuck a strip on the glass wall, and another strip on the light fixture, and viola! It's working perfectly.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ok, the pics of your set up look good! Try a 50 watt or a 75 watt, depending on your house temps and how far away the basking spot will be.

angrif

I had to get the 18" reptisun 10.0 for now. I will have to replace it at a later time. Here is the current tank setup:

scaled.php

I have to head back to walmart tonight to get the probe therm, but I'm still concerned about the overall ambient tank temp. The dial therm (i know they can be very unreliable) on the far end of the tank (the dark end) is only reading about equal to the house temp (71ish). It's also fairly dark. Should i use some type of regular house bulb on the far end for a little warmth or light?

Also should I place the hammock more under the reptisun. My wife placed in in the front corner with the fossil tree next to it as a way to get up to it. Greedo is currently sitting on the tree under the basking light. I'll post an update on the temps when i get the probe therm later today. I'd really like to get a good final setup for awhile. I fed him some crickets today in a critter keeper and placed it inside the tank so he would get the UVB and heat bulb. He still only ate 3 small ones.

angrif

Greedo ate better today and now I think I have his tank set up. Tell me what you think.

tile3.jpg

I have the acurite probe wrapped around the top of the fossil tree. Currently after 15min it's reading 108 depending on where exactly i slide the dome. We will see if I need to drop the bulb wattage. On the right side I have a plain energy smart soft white coil bulb because that side tended to be dark.

I removed the water dish but humidity is still a bit high. Currently 53% at the probe.

Slippers

I will be starting to build a new Cherry Oak 4x2x2 viv this week. I want to use a 36" reptisun 10.0, a basking light, or should I go with a 24"? I am also using a black light heat bulb that I am currently using. The very dim purple light aids in a night light for the kids and keeps slippers warm at night + she is used to it by now. I want to add another light on the cool side for light. I see on here some are using coiled bulbs. Is this a floursent bulb? Where can I pick on up and what wattage are you using.Or is a standard light buld ok.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Angrif, your tank looks great!

Slippers, the 36" would be great, but a 24" works fine too. Any fluorescent coiled bulb will work, try to get the "day light" kind of you can!
IMO the black lights are better than the red ones, but CHE are still the best to use.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
angrif, the tank looks very nice. Make sure you wait at least 45 min and to wait for the temp to stop rising before finding the final temp and then check the cool side the same way.

What is the distance of the UVB to your beardie when he's on the log? It looks like it might be a little too close.

angrif

It just depends on where he's sitting. The log is in the front half so his most common spot he is about 8" away. The hammock is also up that corner which he loves and he lays in different areas of it. on that he could be as close as 6" to as far as 15" from it. There is also a corner ramp thing in the back corner under where the UVB is that's about 6" below it. He does sometimes run up there for a bit.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, great, was hard to tell in the picture, I just wanted to make sure.

Perhaps you already knew about how long to wait before getting the final probe readings too but I just wanted to be cautious since it was up to 108 after only 15 minutes.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom