Lighting Help for Newbies (:

EpyonB16

His red light is only used at night never during the day. His UVB and UVA lighst are now running together for about 8 to 10 hours depending on how cold the day will be. As it is I'm getting him everything little by little. I had to pay my bills so I couldn't get him his light. I'm going to try this upcoming friday when I get paid. I looked up the price for the bulb and fixture at petsmart and the bulb is 3ish but they didn't have the fixture. Do you know where I can get it cheaper? Oh yeah and a bigger tank cause I feel he is a bit confined with all the stuff I put in and my parents put in to decorate his 10 gallon Terrarium. Phew long paragraph^LOL

Ok guys.. I have a big dilemma. I am currenty using a coil bulb for my UVB and im replacing it with a reptisun 10.0 that I ordered from petmountain.com.. The dilemma is that I accidentally ordered a 36" bulb not the 24" bulb.. I have a 40 breeder tank which is 38" long so I could probably fit it but I can't find a fixture for it that isn't 200$. So I Tried to cancel my order but it was already shipped.. So should I just get a 24" repti-glo UVB bulb for now bc I still have to wait to get it ship it back and reorder.. Taking like another two weeks? And my pet shops don't sell them :(

Runsnoopy":asgtpw0o said:
You can get a 38" fixture for the UVB bulb at Lowes's or Home Depot for less that $20.00

Thanks. I will definitely check into that tomorrow. My Rango is getting stressed from not having the right light so I don't wanna make him wait any longer. But I'm skeptical about the repti glo bc everyone says it's no good.. Ya know?

Hey, I have a question or two :)

Currently in Mushu's tank we have the Reptisun 10.0 which is good and correct from what you lovely peeps are saying :D The heat/ basking lamp is a ceramic heat lamp and I have no idea of the brand... It is SO difficult to get the temperature right with this thing. We currently have a spot lamp (clear) and fixture on order and should arrive in a few days. However my question is should I keep the ceramic lamp for night time? I want him to be warm enough as the room he's in can get awfully cold at night and living in the UK, we're coming up to winter (he's only 6 months so not going to bruminate correct??) and who knows what kind of winter we'll end up with this year lol.

What should I do for the best?

Thanks so much for this post!! It definitely helps, especially with the photos of the habitat!! Starting out with BDs can be a bit difficult, because there are so many things to take into consideration to ensure their health, safety and happiness. Right now I'm at the point of figuring out what additional items I need to purchase to make my habitat more comfortable for my 2 BDs, so seeing what extra lights are needed is certainly helpful!! I already have 1 main heat light and one UV light, so I think I may add another main heat light to keep the temperature higher, and eventually get a long UV light that stretches the length of the enclosure (right now it is smaller and located in the middle of the enclosure on top of the screen).
Thanks so much for helping a somewhat stressed-out new beardie mama!! :)

Elliot2012

Well after reading this thread (Thank all of you) I think I have come up with a suitable layout for my future Beardie. Free feel to provide any feedback positive or negative.
PossibleLayout-1.png

I plan to use either an exo-terra light unit with the end caps lilacdragon mentioned or just find two simpler yet just as effect fixtures from Wal-Mart for the fluorescents. More research to be done. And the fixture for the halogen I was thinking a ZooMed porcelain lamp? Now depending on the temps, a higher or lower wattage may be necessary but would the three bulbs mentioned/shown be efficient?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A CHE is a ceramic heat emitter.

You would use it at night if your temps in the tank drop below 65 degrees. It gives off no light so makes it about the only thing you should use at night if you need to raise temps.

-Brandon

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom