Lighting - another general query

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
I would imagine you could mount it in side the viv....play w/ the light bulb wattage
40 or 60 puts off enuff heat about 15 inches above the beardie.make sure you have a probe temp thermometer or temp gun to closely monitor temps.You do not want your beardie to get burned..also make sure not vines or any thing he might be able to climb can get close to the light.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Thanks hugely Malibsmom, I just bought a 60 watt spot bulb and promptly smashed it inside the viv (Basil was not in of course) *sigh* On the plus side, I had to clean out all the sand and have decided not to replace it. Basil is now on kitchen towel until I find some slate tiles. Scrabbled around for a new bulb but they are all the energy saving ones and I wasnt sure they would be ok. Finally found a normal 40 watt household clear bulb but it gives off nowhere near enough heat. Hubby has just dashed off to the local harware store to replace the broken bulb. Got myself a probe thermometer at last :blob5: Should make things a lot easier. :D

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
Remember it takes about 45 minutes for bulb to heat.I have a 40 and a 60 side by side ontop of viv at the moment 40 over the basking spot 60 beside it so it is aimed at her lower part of her log..temps are at 100...perfect basking in malibus opinion...she has her legs behind her and is gazing out her window.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Hmm i may have to try 2 bulbs. I have a 100 watt housebulb in there at the moment shining directly down onto Basil's rock and the probe thermometer is telling me that its 90.3 buts it's only been in for about 20-30mins. I have gone through a 40 and a 60 watt bulb so far. Unfortunately Basil is now sulking I am assuming it's because I have taken away his sand and changed his lighting setup. He is lying in his log with his eyes half shut totally ignoring me. Hopefully he will forgive by tomorrow. His lights usually go off at 8pm so I am hoping to get the temp sorted by then. If not it will mean more disruption to his enviro as I will have to add another bulb and as I cannot place them on top of the viv it means more fixing and fiddling inside. *sigh* the things we do for these lil critters. I don't think I was this panicky about my first child! *takes a deep breath* Thanks for "holding my hand" a bit malibusmom :D

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Urgghh I am beginning to hate lighting! Even with a 100 watt household bulb I cannot get the temp up high enough. It only reaches just over 92 and I know this is too low. I think I am going to have to add another light which means more disruption for poor Basil. I wonder if he will ever talk to me again. Any suggestions other than putting in another light? I have to screw them to the inside of the viv as I cant put them on the top. I asked at the hardware shop about halogen bulbs but they only had the small lil ones. I did have a 60 watt spot but that didnt throw out enough heat. Anyone in the UK got a favourite basking light for inside the viv? Thanks all.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
Raise your basking area to 12-14 inches from the top of the tank...this should be close enuf to get uvb and temps right....your tank is a 65 gallon?i have malibus log proped up on her cave and a squishy pillow...i have used a shoe box,wood a rock ...see pics at beginning of this post.example...(basking area)/O(rock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom