Light/UV Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Hi folks,

OK, so I've had Khalil in a Exo-Terra 40-gal tank (The PT-2613 here: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/glass_terrarium.php). I'd been using a MegaRay together with a heat projector, which gave me the right temps throughout the tank, plus UV. However, as I mentioned in another thread, Khalil has not been doing well. (And this is already with replacement MegaRay after their earlier issues.) Now that the MegaRay has been off for about a week, he seems to be perking up. (Fecal tests were negative.) Bottom line, I think the guys at ReptileUV are awesome, but I'm just getting less and less comfortable with the MegaRay, so I'd like to switch to another approach to light/UV.

I currently have:

3 ceramic dome light fixtures
a ReptileUV heat projector
various household lightbulbs
the 60W MegaRay bulb

So, in other words, I have no halogen light fixtures or anything. Exo-Terra has a special canopy top that precisely fits this model tank, but it's like $150. Sheesh. (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/dual_top.php)

What do you recommend, both for heat and for UV, for fixtures and for bulbs? I've never used other UV sources before.

Thanks!

Steve and Khalil

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
So your two basic options are to mount one inside, or to put one on the top of the screen.
I started off with the light on top of my screen in this holder. http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-light-fixtures/516021/perfecto-fluorescent-perfect-a-strip-light-black.html (the 20" one, holds an 18" reptisun). Problem is, the screen filters out some of the UVB (reptisun's put out signifcantly less than megas to begin with, like 1/3) and it is really hard to get them at the right distance.
Oddly out of my 10 billion pics I can't find 1 that shows the UVB like that.
So, as you know, we went to the vet, found out that her bone density had lessened. I couldn't figure out why cuz she gets liquid calcium and such. Well, turns out it's cuz she wasn't gettin enough UVB. So, I went to walmart and got a $7 fixture meant for under the sink or in a cabinet and 3M hooks (the kind that are advertised to not hurt your walls) and mounted it that way. she can now easily get close enough to her light. There are pics on her thread
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106413&start=1410. Let me know if you decide on either of these and I can help you more.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I am sorry to hear that you have been having the issues with the UVB as many other have including myself.It is very difficult when we try to do the right thing but still have to deal with all of this nonsense.You would think that by now they would figure out how to do it right when it comes to uv lighting but they just don't seem to get it sometimes.
In regards to your enclosure I can only see two methods that I would go with.The first and probably safest considering the state of our current MVB situation is to go with a linear reptisun 10.0 however I would not bother buying that expensive hood as it makes it very difficult to get your beardie to the proper distance for ideal uvb absorption.The method Sara mentioned in regards to mounting the fixture inside the enclosure is also what I would recommend if you are going to go with a linear fluorescent.The other option is to stay with an MVB but at this time the only one I know that is available and reasonably safe if used correctly is the solar-glo. T-Rex seems to be getting things in order in regards to the Active UV heat bulb but I think it may still be a wait to actually get a hold of the bulb UNLESS you happen to have any mom and pop herp stores in the area that carry them because since they don't sell as often as fluorescent tubes chances are good that they have the older version(pre-clear glass problems) and those bulbs worked great.You can verify this by simply looking at the bulb itself.The problem bulbs were stamped with J1,K1 or L1 so anything before that is safe to use.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all of your advice. Right, so to go with the internal setup, I would need:

- a fixture for an 18" halogen bulb
- some hooks or something to affix it to the cage
- some 18" UV bulb - is this the one everyone recommends?

Sara, I'm struggling trying to figure out how you used hooks to affix the fixture to a glass enclosure. Unfortunately, I'm approximately the LEAST handy person on the planet, so I tend to need pretty specific instructions if I'm to cobble something together! :D

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Okay lol let me try this again.
The hooks I got are the 3M command hooks with metal ends. They have a sticky thing that you put on the hook then stick on the viv wall. Then they just hook onto the holes in the back of the fixture. The fixture is $7 at walmart at the hooks are like $3. I'm sure target would have the hooks but idk about the fixture. If it's still not clear, you're more than welcome to call me and I'll do my best to explain it better.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Steve, nice to see you posting again, but I'm sorry it's under such a bad circumstance. I hope Khalil continues to improve for you.

As Sara did, I also used the 3M hooks to do an internal mount with Dewey's Reptisun. I also used the WalMart light fixture which has the holes on the back that you would use to secure it to the cabinet. I used the 3M Utensil Hooks. What I did was used a hot glue gun to secure the actual metal hook part into holes on the light fixture. Because I'm super paranoid and didn't want the light to fall in Dewey's viv I basically filled up the entire hole with the glue. Once it tried it was clear that the hook would NOT come loose. From there I put the adhesive strip on the backs of the plastic hook part and secured it to the back of Dewey's cage. Just make sure you have you have little pully tab part facing down so you can easily move it if need be.

Also, just wanted to mention that I'm using a 24" light and fixture. I'm not sure if the 18" setup would be any better or worst. Good luck! :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well looks like everyone got the info to you! Good Job guys :D Those 3M hooks do come in real handy :D

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Yup. I think Steve just likes to be reassured every once in a while that I do know what I'm talking about. Occasionally... :mrgreen:

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
spurlee01":2vexerrb said:
Yup. I think Steve just likes to be reassured every once in a while that I do know what I'm talking about. Occasionally... :mrgreen:
Nah.... Sara, you've got to know that you're a great source of info! :) I would always trust you! ;)

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Beardie09":2inek3qz said:
spurlee01":2inek3qz said:
Nah.... Sara, you've got to know that you're a great source of info! :) I would always trust you! ;)

Lol Steve I totally did not pay her to say that! Thank you Mandy :mrgreen:

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm always thankful for Sara's comments. I'm just cautious by nature and like to triangulate multiple sources. :D

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, this is a stupid question:

If the light fixture is INSIDE the tank, and I have a fitted screen top kind of thingy, what do you do with the power cord from the fixture?? Do you just not have the top on tight? Or did you cut a hole in it or something?

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
My cage actually had a little cut out on the framing for power cords so I just popped the little tab in. I'm not familiar with the Exo Terra cages though. They don't have the little tab things for cords?

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie09":3kmq6gzj said:
My cage actually had a little cut out on the framing for power cords so I just popped the little tab in. I'm not familiar with the Exo Terra cages though. They don't have the little tab things for cords?

It didn't occur to me to look. :D

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Steve your thing advertises holes for the cords. I just don't have Lilly's screen closed all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom