Light problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy01

Im curently not happy with my beardies lighing right now I dont know how many gallons his tank its 14" by 30 inches he just has one 75 watt house bulb in it it lights up his whole cage and is about 80 where he bask I know thats not right but I dont have the money to buy a uvb and a basking bulb I do however have a 14'' long floresent light from a fish tank I had could I use that to make his cage warmer until i can get a uvb? I also have a ceramic heat bulb that I could combine with the light during the day if that is safe.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Fluorescent bulbs don't put off much heat at all. So adding your fish tank tube won't really do anything at all.

How are you measuring your temps? With a stick on dial? Digital with probe? Or temp gun?

80 isn't just not right, its dangerous. At that temperature your dragon can't even digest or perform basic metabolic functions. At 75 watts, even a household bulb should produce higher temps than that. Unless its a compact bulb instead of a halogen/incandescent.

If your measuring temps with an accurate thermometer, and are really getting 80~ degrees, then yes you should set up your CHE right next to the basking light to provide the correct amount of heat. The CHE will produce heat, and the current bulb you have will produce the visible light needed.

I'm sure you know it, but I'm just going to reiterate how UTTERLY important it is for you to fix your lighting setup ASAP. Even taking in some recyclables will help get you some money to buy a reptisun 10.0 tube or arcadia. And 20 bucks or so should be enough to buy a few different bulbs till you find one that gets you the temperatures you need.

If there is a will, there is always a way. Good luck.

-Brandon

Speedy01

Original Poster
claudiusx":2ehpgq6l said:
Fluorescent bulbs don't put off much heat at all. So adding your fish tank tube won't really do anything at all.

How are you measuring your temps? With a stick on dial? Digital with probe? Or temp gun?

80 isn't just not right, its dangerous. At that temperature your dragon can't even digest or perform basic metabolic functions. At 75 watts, even a household bulb should produce higher temps than that. Unless its a compact bulb instead of a halogen/incandescent.

If your measuring temps with an accurate thermometer, and are really getting 80~ degrees, then yes you should set up your CHE right next to the basking light to provide the correct amount of heat. The CHE will produce heat, and the current bulb you have will produce the visible light needed.

I'm sure you know it, but I'm just going to reiterate how UTTERLY important it is for you to fix your lighting setup ASAP. Even taking in some recyclables will help get you some money to buy a reptisun 10.0 tube or arcadia. And 20 bucks or so should be enough to buy a few different bulbs till you find one that gets you the temperatures you need.

If there is a will, there is always a way. Good luck.

-Brandon
Ok I had a mini heart attack when i read that i just got another bulb and hung it in the cage with his basking log under it he seems happyer that explains why he doesnt use the bathroom much only once a week maby ive had him since I was 4 now he is 8 I dont want my little buddy to be sick ill try getting a new bulb for him as soon as i can thank you

Speedy01

Original Poster
oh i almost forgot I used just a regular thermomitor that you hang outside im sure its off a little i have a 75 watt bulb not the spring or energy saving one just a regular light bulb hanging in his cage about 7 or 8 inches above his log i can post pictures of my setup for him im saving up to upgrade his tank alot he just got over the stress of moving i dont want him sick again

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those types of thermometers are extremely inaccurate, and can't measure the basking SURFACE, which is the most important temperature. You will need to get either a temp gun, or a digital thermometer with probe. You should be able to find either at a local petshop for around 10-15 dollars.

An accurate thermometer is a must. Proper temperatures are just as important as having a proper UVB bulb. So you need an accurate tool to measure with.

In order of things I think you should get done is this:

1. Buy an accurate thermometer and test the temperatures of your basking SURFACE, hot side, and cool side. Leave the probe in each area for 45 minutes or more to get an accurate reading.
2. If temps are not where they should be, work on getting that situated.
3. Getting proper UVB. This will be either a reptisun 10.0 tube, or the arcadia 12%. Don't get tricked into buying any other bulb, especially not the coil compact uvb bulbs.
4. Once that is all taken care of, we can work on getting his poo'ing more regular if fixing the above doesn't do that for us.

-Brandon

Speedy01

Original Poster
Ok thank you I hope i can get those things within the week he eats evrything i give him it just never goes anywhere he has been under the light basking since i put it there hopfully that will hold up for a week

Speedy01

Original Poster
Thank you soo much where do you recomend i buy one I need one that fits into a regular clamp on lamp all the ones i see are long floresent tubes can you send a link to a good site i tried petco

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You need the long tubes. All the ones that fit into the fixtures you are talking about are compact coil bulbs. Which are very dangerous to the health of our dragons. In fact, having one of those is worse that not having one at all.

You will need to buy the tube, and buy a fixture for it. You can find a fixture for it at any home improvement store, even walmart has them. They run about 12 bucks or so.

-Brandon

Speedy01

Original Poster
Ok i have that fish tank light i first asked about could i replace the bulb on it with another if they have it in that size?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes you can if the bulb you get is the right length and the right bulb size. Florescents come in sizes such as t8, t5, t12, etc. Reptisuns are t8 bulbs, so if your fixture for your fish tank is also a t8, then all you have to worry about is getting the correct length reptisun. If its not a t8 though, I wouldn't recommend using a reptisun in it.

-Brandon

Speedy01

Original Poster
Ok ill check it should i stop feeding him for a day or two he hasnt pooed in about 4 or 5 days but not losing apitite i took his carrots away a second ago should i wait and see if he poos then give him food? he has been this way for 2 or 3 years but i kept being told he was fine now i know he is not and want to help him sorry if i am taking your time with all my post i just want my little guy to be happy

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Speedy01":8pwn1xhx said:
sorry if i am taking your time with all my post i just want my little guy to be happy
Don't worry about that. I want that too which is why i'm trying to help out.

I would keep offering him food. If you don't give baths, you should start. A warm soak in the tub usually encourages poo'ing, and you can also gently rub his belly in a circular motion while in the tub to help move things along. Squash baby food also seems to help move things along if you can get him to lick it off his nose, or out of a spoon.

But remember, getting the thermometer and the heat figured out is still the first priority. Because even if he does keep eating, he needs the heat to be able to process the food.

-Brandon

Speedy01

Original Poster
ok thanks i give him a warm bath evry day i tried rubbing his belly but not in a circular motion ill try that he doesnt i posted his pooing problem on health yesterday but no one would answer thank you for helping me also i found a bulb on petco for 22$ but it didnt have any comments its a Zilla Tropical 25 UVB Fluorescent T8 Bulb can you give me your opinon on it i dont want to buy it and have it hurt him

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That won't work. Really the only two bulbs that will work are the ones I mentioned earlier when I said don't be tricked into getting any others. All others besides certain MVB bulbs (but I won't get into that) have been linked to health problems whether it be from not providing the correct amounts of uvb, or for other issues.

Here is a site where you can get the reptisun for relatively cheap: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...ulbs/11442-504983/reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html

You might be able to find cheaper by shopping around, but that's a decent price.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom