LG ~ The Handi-Capable Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Jason,

I know that I actually suggested the plexi-glass, to keep him from falling, but Kirby may be right. They do tend to glass dance sometimes, when they see their reflection, or the glass confuses them, and being up closer to the light, he could overheat while doing that.

Also, if for some reason, he can't make it, or chooses not to go up the ramp to the top level, you will have wasted all the space at the top, which will basically cut the size of his home in half.

Maybe you should try something simpler, like what Kirby suggested, and then, if he does well with that, you could always change it to your original plan later.

Its so hard to know what's best for him, as none of us have ever had a little guy who has no legs at all. He really is a little miracle, and we're all rooting for him to have as normal of a life as possible, which I'm sure he will with the love and care you're giving him!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
you make some good points about the glass-dancing and confusion :| .

he used to get stuck or confused when trying to squeeze between a piece of wood and the glass... i'd watch him wiggle and wiggle untill he was wedged in there sideways with his nubs off the ground :shock: . needless to say, i moved any obstacles away from all four sides.

i will take your advice and go with a simple slope... i guess i was just caught up in the excitment :oops: . i'll try to get the highest part within 6-8" of the reptisun tube, thats the best distance right?

kirby

Extreme Poster
Denise Bushnell":2b9f1 said:
Jason,

I know that I actually suggested the plexi-glass, to keep him from falling,
:oops: sorry denise...

without the ledge, i guess he has more space to move about..

hows he going? any up dates? eating any better?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I do like the idea of having the ramp open all of the way up just so he doesn't get confused. Everyone has had great ideas for revisions for him. Having the ramp the entire width is probably the best idea.
It is amazing you have put in so much time & effort into getting his home all setup for him. This is great!! :D
Yes, 6-8 inches distance from the Reptisun 10 is fine.

Tracie

kirby

Extreme Poster
seeing your scrapping for cash, you could construct a very basic open top viv for him. (seeing he is incapable of jumping out.) unless you have a cat or dog..

i say a simple 4x2x1 ply box, with perspex front, clamp lamp and uv batten screwed on the inside wall, so the tube is 9" from flat floor OR 7" from his basking slope/platform. (i added an inch to the requirements as im making up for his hieght)

ply will end up your cheapest option, with a perspex front, open top.

good luck with finding a job? any news? hope something comes up...

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Kirby,

Why are you sorry? You were right to be worried about that. Sometimes a few brains are better than one, especially when we're trying to help with such a special project......he is so adorable, and the start that he got in life was so sad. I'm just glad that Jason has him now, and that he's doing so well!

When I think of how Jason found him, I'd like to slam those nitwits in that pet store. Who takes an animal injured that badly, and just sticks him in a tank in the corner to bleed to death and die? I probably would have gotten arrested, if I'd found him like that!

Actually, finding a beardie who was in bad shape and not being cared for properly was how I got my first beardie, Charlie. He was in a tank with no lighting, on sand, that was filthy with feces and dead crickets.
The water in his dish was actually green, and the glass in his tank was filthy. I ripped the clerk a new one about the condition of his tank, and asked if I could hold him. He crawled up the front of me, snuggled into my neck and rubbed his face against mine, and the rest is history.
I pulled out the old credit card and charged $139, bought what else I thought he needed, and took him home, only to have him nearly die on me because of being overloaded with hookworms and internal bleeding. The vet said he probably wouldn't survive, and he wouldn't eat for 9-1/2 weeks, but I refused to give up on him, so I did a lot of online research, and finally found this forum. So six months and about $400 later, I had a relatively healthy beardie! See pix below!

SORRY JASON, I DIDN'T MEAN TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD! However, I should warn you...these little guys are like potato chips! Nobody can have just one! :D :D :D
CHARLIE, 3 DAYS AFTER I BROUGHT HIM HOME

24-Charlie-1.jpg

CHARLIE AS HE LOOKS TODAY

4-Charlie.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're right Denise, they ARE like potato chips. Gee, about time for you to get a 4th so you can be equal with me. :mrgreen: Charlie looks wonderful!

kirby

Extreme Poster
oh yeh, addictive!! i almost bought two adults a few weeks back, but it looks like it will be just little butters! :love5:

i suppose adding another isnt 'too' much more work or food prep.. but when does it get out of hand?

i must admit, im loving my winter holiday during brumation. i haven't dealt with poop or roaches in WEEKS!! but i miss my little babies..

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Diane,

He does look good, doesn't he? :D However, he does still have digestive problems to this day, due to all the scar tissue in his digestive tract. I have to hand feed him to get him to eat, and he can't have a bowel movement without being soaked in warm water first. However, that's a small price to pay to still have him. He's a bit small for his age, but with a little special care, he stays healthy, and I wouldn't trade him for anything! He was a little fighter, once he knew he was loved!

I'm sure that Jason's little guy will be too. Sometimes a lot of love can do what all the medication in the world can't. Handicapped animals are amazing, the way they adapt, without feeling sorry for themselves!
We could take some lessons from them! Charlie and Evie are both living proof of that! :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what we're talking about does relate to handicapped beardies, so guess I can get away with it, maybe. :p

It's amazing that Charlie is doing so well, but with all the TLC he gets, how can he not. :wink: I know exactly what you mean about them needing extra care & the handfeeding, but it being worth it. Widge (our 22" beardie) only has 1 eye & I've been handfeeding him since we got him at about 1 1/2 months old. He is now about 15 mo old & still growing. He manages to eat some greens on his own & once in a while is able to catch a cricket or superworm but if he loses sight of them, he gets very frustrated & gives up. He is the most laid back of all of them though. We also have Gizmo who was only 3 1/2 inches long at about 1 month old and although he will always have a small frame, he eats very well & is now 19" long although he looks like he is much younger than 3 1/2 yrs. Jason, I know your little guy will do extremely well too and that he will be very affectionate with you as he appreciates all the extra efforts you have made for him. 8)

Kirby, I can't imagine what it would be like here if ours went into brumation. I spend so much time taking care of them when they are active, that I would literally be lost. I'm glad they only go through a short semi-brumation period.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
IT'S HERE :shock: , IT'S HERE :D , IT'S HERE :mrgreen: !!!

i came home at lunch today to see if the mail came. it had, and no bulb :? . i was wondering when i would get it. i left and went about my daily business, not really expecting to find anything when i got home(but still hoping). as i got closer to my door, i saw something leaning against it! to my delight i was my bulb! i ordered it on saturday and got it tuesday, all for only $35!!! i have it mounted on top of the screen just for today. i wanted him to get under it ASAP, but i plan to mount it under the screen tommorow.

i was sceptical it would have any effect at 17"(top of screen), but only ten minutes after it was on i found my beardie in this relatively rare position:

UVBbasking.jpg

just look at the difference in light quality :D :

a5.jpg
this is before i had the reptisun

UVB.jpg
here's after :mrgreen:.

tomorrow i will lower the bulb so it's 8' from him. so far, i think he's in bliss.

p.s. i went out and bought an X-Large habba-hut today too. he outgrew his old one a while ago. i figured he would need a place to escape all the new light if he wants.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jason,

That looks great, nice & bright! I think he looks very happy in there. I am sure that he will love it & it is a great bulb.
I can't believe that you got it THAT fast! Not too bad.
It is amazing how they can adapt to living differently. :D I don't think he knows that he doesn't have all of his limbs, either.

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Oh My Precious Lord! :cry:
I sat on the first page of this thread for 4 hours. I was cry over this poor little beardies story. :cry:
How sad can it get? And this little beardies God sent angel with no job to continue provideing for him. :(
I was thinking how awesome you are Jason for all you are doing and trying to do for him. And how stressful it must be trying to get supplies without a job. I found this story so heart breaking. I had to walk away from the computer and try to get it out of my head but I couldn't. I found myself going thru beardie supplies that I could spare with. I even had rounded you up a 40 gal breeder. I was trying to figure out how to get everything to you. I live in California too, but won't be going down south until the first weekend of September.
I even thought of posting a thread to take donations to help you out.

Then I finally stopped crying long enough to finish reading the thread. Just to see that you got most everything that you need.

Now I'd like to say what a special person you are Jason to have kept this special little guy alive.
Bless Your Heart!
Okay I'm starting to cry again but I'm going to try to finish this post.

I have a handicapped beardie(s) an I can tell you that simple is the best for him good to see
that you simplified his viv. BTW Kirby's idea is a good one that's kinda what I'm looking to do
for Zak-n-Wheezie.

Now on to the upper note! He looks fat and happy what a trooper! You are his angel for sure. :love5:
Keep up the awesome job, pat yourself on the back because you deserve it!
If I can ever be of any help please let me know. And please keep us updated.

Barbara

MissT

BD.org Addict
fresnowitte":b6ccb said:
Oh My Precious Lord!
I sat on the first page of this thread for 4 hours. I was cry over this poor little beardies story.

I did exactly the same when I read the initial post - it breaks your heart to think of how he was living before you stepped in and rescued him!

Im so glad you got so much sorted for him so quickly and he looks absolutely adorable up against his branch there!!! The difference the repti-sun makes to them is quite unbelievable...when I switched to it, Abu turned into a whole different beardie lol!!!

One thing I noticed tho... are there any crickets in the cricket keeper beside the viv? Im just asking because I had the cricket keeper beside my babies feeding box one day and she went mad when she saw them...getting herself into quite a tangle trying to get through to them (instead of eating the ones jumping around her)!!! Just a thought...

Keep us updated, i love checking in on the little guy every day... its so good to see how well he is doing in your care!!! And as Barbara said, give yourself a big pat on the back for being this little guys angel!!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom