Let's Talk Beardie Poop - no pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z71

I know this subject comes up quite a bit and I've searched the forums and read many related posts, however, I still have some questions.

My son's beardie is about 4 months old, he's happy, healthy and growing quickly. His enclosure is set up as recommended by this site with tile flooring, ReptiSun tube, halogen heating light, temps correct with digital probe, etc. He was eating about 60 - 85 crickets per day up until last week when I switched him over to all Reptiworms. He is now eating about 50 - 60 Reptiworms per day and greens consisting of collards or dandelions. Calcium dusting in the mornings 7 days per week and vitamins in the evenings 5 days a week. NO calcium dusting with Reptiworms.

My concern is his regularity and he doesn't seem to want to poop in his enclosure. If I give him a bath, he'll poop in 5 minutes. If he hasn't gone in a couple days and we get him out to play with him, he'll poop on us or something else within about 10 minutes. If we leave him in his enclosure, he seems to hold it as long as he can. For example, I gave him a bath on Sunday and he pooped. Last night (3 days later), my wife got him out to play and within 5 minutes, he pooped. However, it's my belief that if we hadn't gotten him out last night, he wouldn't have pooped. Often when he does poop in his enclosure, he does it at the far end away from where he spends most of his time.

Is it normal for a beardie to not want to mess in his living quarters? He seems healthy as can be. His poop seems normal and he appears well hydrated. His poops are huge and smelly!

It seems like a lot of people on this site give their beardie's a bath 4 or more times a week, and it also appears that a bath causes a bearded to poop. Is that the main reason for the regular baths? I don't mind giving him a bath, but it seems to really just be more of a toilet break as opposed to a bath!

z71

Original Poster
Thanks for replying Kginxx!

I made some additional changes to the tank in order to make sure that he is getting the proper temperature in an effort to rule out any digestion issues.

My poor wife was sold a lie that bearded dragons are easy, carefree pets - but that's a whole different thread for a different day. There is a LOT to learn!

noella5088

Juvie Member
Good! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Allie doesn't like to poo in her enclosure either. I exercised her on a screen. (She hadn't pooped in two days until this afternoon.) I'm keeping tabs on her BM now. Is it normal for her to go every two days? Just wondering if that's normal.

Anyway, I was massaging her belly and she pooped on the screen. Lucky it didn't land on me. I took her into the bathroom, reassuring her she's fine. I gave her a small bath with water. She wanted out. I put her back in her enclosure and she finished her bath in her pool. :) So I guess she's okay.

Her diet consists of crickets, mustard greens, some parsley (Not a lot and her favorite), celery leaves, celery, a sliver of strawberry diced up in small pieces, slice of banana in small dices, and a small amount of grated carrots. *I don't feed her carrots that much after what I read about it. Once in a while.* I think I'll find a container large enough for her soak and relax tomorrow.

She felt better after her BM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom