Lethargic, not eating, beard black

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
My beardie has been very lethargic and not eating. He is over 13 inches llong, and doesnt eat eat his salads or the crickets i try to feed him. he has skin or mucus in his eye, and ive soaked him in water for a while, but i heard to soak him with mater part water and part pedialyte. will this help?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sorry to hear about Riley's trouble. His eye condition won't be helped by Pedialyte, but maybe we can figure out what's causing the irritation. Is he kept on any loose sandy substrate ? What type of lights do you use ? Be very specific with brand + type of lights. Do you soak him for hydration, if so do you keep him out of the tank after, while he's wet ? For now some turtle drops may help, or unpasteurized honey mixed with a bit of water to thin it , then apply with a Q-tip. It's a natural antibacterial/antibiotic that can help if there's an infection, but it must be the type from a health food store, [ unpasteurized ], not the regular grocery store type of honey. Hopefully you can figure out what his problem is.

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thx for the early response. my lighting is an exo terra basking bulb (100-110 degrees) and my lighting is a zoomed compact uv, but ive been told to change it to a tube lighting, so i will do that soon. my substrate is newspaper. i do soak him for hydration , but now i've been doing it every day or 2 days. i dry him with a towel, let him explore my bed for 5 minutes, then put him under the basking bulb, but now he won't explore anymore, he just sits and sleeps. for the honey mixture, is it 2 parts honey and 1 part water or what? what should the consistency be? i will try this, and the pedialyte soak. hopefully hell get better, cause im really worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can mix it 50 - 50, but you don't have to be exact. Another question, has he shed recently ? You say that it may be skin shed in his eyes , or does it really seem like mucous ? Can you post a pic of his eyes ?

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok gave him two pedialyte baths today. he is still lathargic and sleeping but he is more aware. hopefully he'll be back to normal after a weeks worth of pedialyte baths.

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yesterday i scheduled a vet trip for the next day. the next morning i woke up and went to school. my sister stayed to take him to the vet, but it was too late. riley was gone. i am crying right now, and i just wanted to let you guys know. i wish i wouldve died instead of riley. well, thats all i have to say.

goodbye, beardeddragon.org.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry about Riley ! What a sad , sad shock for you ! You were taking such good care of him + trying to help him. He even looked pretty good in those pictures. He must have had an illness that was hidden and it just took him. I'm so sorry, my heart really goes out to you !

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks, but i have more details that my sister told me. she said that he pooped, and it looked pretty normal, but then he started spinning, like he was going to have a spasm. suddenly he threw up a collard green slice. then it looked as if he needed to throw up something else, so my sister took him to the vet. the vet couldnt find anything, and recommended some products. she then spent 80 dollars on the things, and after countless tries, he finally gave up. she returned the things. we then wrapped him in cloth, put him in a small suitcase, put his towel, some notes, and the syringe we used to try to save him, and buried him out in the yard. we are going to buy flower seeds and plant them around his grave. and thats about it. we were crying so much.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
- Dr. Seuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom