Lethargic beardie- can't get him back to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just realized that I didn't answer your post about the bathing, I'm sorry. I always recommend 3 to 4 times a wk although I actually give mine baths daily if I have time as they all enjoy it so much.

Is he still having runny poops? Did something else go on today that has you even more concerned?

joesaldivar

Original Poster
He hasn't pooped in about in three days which gives me concern. Also, he's just not getting any better. I'm leaving town on Thursday and my husband will be taking care of him but I'd just like to get him into the vet before I go.
The funny thing is, when I pull him out of his cool spot in the afternoon and handle him for a little while, he seems to perk up. He usually goes back in his cage, eats a little and basks for a while. If I don't pull him out he just stays holed up in his dark corner. The main thing I'm worried about right now is his pooping. He isn't pooping very often and when he does it's still kind of runny - not full blown diahhrea but not firm, either.
I'll bathe him again this evening. I should be receiving his new light bulb today so I'll switch that out and see if that makes a difference. I've changed his food to collard greens and two kinds of squash.
I'll let you know what the vet says.

joesaldivar

Original Poster
The vet said Rocky looks perfectly fine. I dropped him off in the morning and picked him up in the afternoon so they were able to observe him several hours and said he was perky and fine (of course!). She said he's gained weight since I brought him in June and she didn't feel any signs of blockage in his stomach so that was a relief. She guesses that maybe he's just brumating early. I got the new bulb in today and have switched it out. I'm in the process of monitoring the temperature. If he perks up over the next few days I'm going to guess it was the UVB output of the old bulb.
Thanks for all of your help. I learned a few new things in this process about bathing and feeding. I appreciate this forum.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wanted to mention that beardies that are over 1 yr old don't always poop every day, sometimes there is 3 days in between and as long as he doesn't seem uncomfortable, that is fine. Also, it's fine that their poops aren't solid (firm), better to have them somewhat soft rather than rock hard. The urates (white part) should be soft, not hard like chalk or rubbery. Since you're bathing him fairly often now, that is probably why they aren't firm, so that is fine. If all of it was like water and literally ran or squirted in the viv, that would be a different story and a concern. Was the vet able to get a fecal sample to check anyway?

My beardies are starting to fall asleep earlier too. If I'm here to get them out, they are wide awake and move around but if I'm not, they move to a cooler area of their viv and tend to dose off at times. Some days they eat quite a bit and other days they don't. As long as yours is somewhat active and is basking some after eating, then it does sound normal for this time of year.

That's great that the vet thought Rocky looked fine and that he was perky. Taking him there must not have stressed him out too much or you'd think the vet would have said that he acted lethargic and was dark in color the whole time. Great that he's gained weight too, that must have made you feel better. See, eating 10 to 15 crickets a day has helped him put some weight on. 8)

Let us know what the temps are and if you notice any difference in him. We're happy that you found the forum and we love helping owners with their beardies.

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
I have a lethargic beardie to because of parasites but if he isn't eating right feed him soy yogurt , turkey & a vegtable mixed together of 1st stage baby food and vitamins this will help him get nutrience and start gaining a more solid stool with time... And frequent soaks in water. Sounds like to me he is just wore out from the parasites and will take some time to gain full health back.. I'm no pro but I am going through this with my beardie and all suggestions I said is suggestions from on here.. Try it he should start pooping right and formed.. And take a spray bottle and have maybe a 1/2 ounce bleach to clean his cage so he won't get the parasites back.. Just wait till the smell if gone for a few minutes and then you can return him to his cage I do it and it is safe.

Just got this information try making a slurry also here is one way to make it........

The staple is organic baby food: squash or chicken.
Dilute with pedialyte for extra hydration.
You can also mix in calcium powder, crushed up bugs, veggies, etc.

Feed with an eye dropper or needless syringe. Put a drop on the beardie's nose, right above his lips, and give him time to lick it off.
They can be stubborn at first, but eventually get the idea.

If you do a search you can find some of the other things people mix in for specific types of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom