Lethargic beardie baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexileigh9

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
Hi guys- new beardie owner here, got my guy about 3 weeks ago. Getting straight to the point, my beardie baby is so lethargic and his legs are so weak and I’m freaking out. He seems to be able to move his legs still though, but he can’t hold onto / grab anything (like when I hold him he doesn’t grab onto me). I accidentally committed a beardie mom sin and had put walnut shell sand at the bottom, replacing with carpet literally tomorrow, I have a layer of paper towel on top now in the mean time. He doesn’t feel impacted, his belly is still squishy/I couldn’t feel any impaction. I did notice some come out when he pooped today, but also I am having to massage his belly and help him poop almost. Today was the fourth day of this. He was fine until he wasn’t. His tail is also shedding. I went out and bought a stronger UVB from my Zilla mini bulb one, I attached a pic. Switched from crickets to roaches (dusted in calcium) for an extra nutrient boost. That’s my info dump on the situation. I attached some pics for reference. I’m just so sad watching him try to crawl around and barely be able to and don’t know what to do. How do I get my crazy baby lizard back:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 574CCA2C-3893-4048-ADB2-0E931AA50A51.jpeg
    574CCA2C-3893-4048-ADB2-0E931AA50A51.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 45F8B0E9-C511-425B-A99E-739F735A82B6.jpeg
    45F8B0E9-C511-425B-A99E-739F735A82B6.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 2DC8D688-9475-424A-8263-555186C7C378.jpeg
    2DC8D688-9475-424A-8263-555186C7C378.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 103
  • A339F494-E036-4733-BB1B-45FF08409BA5.jpeg
    A339F494-E036-4733-BB1B-45FF08409BA5.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4170D8B1-1470-4C4E-96BE-EC03498921FC.jpeg
    4170D8B1-1470-4C4E-96BE-EC03498921FC.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 98

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Question with that!! Do you usually let it burn a bit before you let your beardie use it? Like I read something about letting it burn for a bit before you use it for your beardie.
If you're talking about the deep heat projector, it did take a couple of days running before it was at full power. I used a 100 W bulb alongside it in a dual dome to keep the temps up until it was broken in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has your boy been eating his greens that you put out for him? Definitely continue to make the nutritional slurry for him so that
he gets some nutrition to support his weight.
Most of the time, we usually recommend placing the light at the appropriate distance, test the UVB output, heat, etc before putting
him in the tank just to be sure it is all good. As far as burning in, it isn't absolutely necessary but mostly applies to the Mercury
Vapor bulbs.
Please keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Last edited:

Lexileigh9

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
Still the same. Is perking up a little bit though. I made him a kale + water + calcium powder + multivitamin powder smoothie to lick off my finger (and he did) just to get something in his system. He hasn't eaten any roaches when I offered it to him the last couple days. I put out some veggies for him to see if he had any desire to graze on those.
Update, I ordered the Reptisun 14" T5HO Terrarium Hood Light Fixture & 5.0 UV-B Bulb, it should be here tomorrow. He perked up for a bit today. Passed more substrate as well after a belly massage which I was happy about him getting more out of his system. Gave him more water+kale+multivitamin powder+calcium powder juice today as well as olive oil. Still not interested in bugs or his salad, but I keep salad out and try bugs daily in case he changes his mind.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you got a Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb hopefully it will really help him out a lot. He has had a lot of substrate pass
through. I'm glad to hear he seems to be able to get all of this out of his system. Keep giving softer foods right now, along with
extra hydration, too.

Tracie

Lexileigh9

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
Hello,

That is great you got a Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb hopefully it will really help him out a lot. He has had a lot of substrate pass
through. I'm glad to hear he seems to be able to get all of this out of his system. Keep giving softer foods right now, along with
extra hydration, too.

Tracie
Yes I’m hoping this new light helps speed this up as we are a week in now. He passed more substrate through today twice. I can’t believe how much he has in his belly. Still on the kale juice concoction for nutrients, but he did eat a few pieces of normal kale today too. I’m sneaking a few drops of oil a day to help too still. No bugs yet. He still has noodle legs though, but has the ability to move them, just not well/are weak. Sleeping a ton, but I’m sure he doesn’t feel great. Anything else I can do?

Lexileigh9

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
Yes I’m hoping this new light helps speed this up as we are a week in now. He passed more substrate through today twice. I can’t believe how much he has in his belly. Still on the kale juice concoction for nutrients, but he did eat a few pieces of normal kale today too. I’m sneaking a few drops of oil a day to help too still. No bugs yet. He still has noodle legs though, but has the ability to move them, just not well/are weak. Sleeping a ton, but I’m sure he doesn’t feel great. Anything else I can do?
Another update: he pooped twice today, the second one not having any substrate, but his legs are still barely working.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Another update: he pooped twice today, the second one not having any substrate, but his legs are still barely working.
What size tank is the dragon in? If you are using a 40 gallon the 14" fixture is too small and the bulb should be a reptisun 10.0 - the 5.0 is not going to be strong enough--- it's good he's pooping the substrate out- that can cause the legs not working but your uvb needs to be up to par- mbd is lack of uvb rays and could also be a cause of the legs not working

Lexileigh9

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
What size tank is the dragon in? If you are using a 40 gallon the 14" fixture is too small and the bulb should be a reptisun 10.0 - the 5.0 is not going to be strong enough--- it's good he's pooping the substrate out- that can cause the legs not working but your uvb needs to be up to par- mbd is lack of uvb rays and could also be a cause of the legs not working
He’s only in a 10gal right now until I move into my new apartment in a couple months, then I’m bumping it to 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom