Lerthargic Baby Full recovery!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maze1216

My wife picked up a rescue today, she posted this in the rescue forum but I think it needs to be here.

RykersMum":b34bd said:
So I saw a post on Craigslist asking for help on how to take care of a beardie late last night. Apparently their son was given this beardie who was in awful condition and they didn't really know any better until the next day when he wouldn't even open his eyes, and I guess that was when they made that post. So they called me this morning and apparently they didn't realize how much time, money, and effort you have to put into a beardie, especially a sick one so they asked if I would take him. From what she told me on the phone it sounded like he was calcium deficient and/or maybe a was starting to suffer from MBD. I think I was only partially right. When I got him he was so lifeless he wouldn't even lift his head. They told me on the phone that he wouldn't open his eyes, but in all reality he couldn't open his eyes. They were so crusted and anytime I would try to softly get them open with a wet q-tip his head would just started shaking all over the place, I guess because it hurt so much. So I let him soak in the sink with warm water for a while and I would run water over his head with my hand and finally I was able to get his eyes open. He still won't hold them open very much, and one he holds open a bit more than the other. I also got him to drink some water from an eye dropper and he ate a very small piece of greens (but spit it out a few times before he would take it). I figure once I get him home (I'm at my mother's right now because she was concerned and wanted to try to help) and get him under his heat lamp and UVB he might perk up a bit. I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions as I'm not exactly positive as to what might be entirely wrong with him. The people who I got him from didn't have him under any sort of heat lamo and they had one of those awful coil UVB lights, other than that they had no idea what they were doing. The people that gave him to them were letting their 10 year old take care of it...he was obviously clueless as well. Like I said, any input you may have I would greatly appreciate! If this needs to be moved or copy and pasted into another part of the forum please let me know. Thanks everyone!

She got him home a couple hours ago and I gave him some of the Bene-bac gel which, once I got his mouth open, he gobbled up. He's super malnutritioned, doesn't look like he's eaten in forever, his legs are about as thin as the baby we just got who's half his size. I mixed a bit of calcium and vitamin powders in some water and managed to get its mouth open to take a couple drops of that. I got him a drop of Solar drops too to hopefully start balancing his vitamin D. Then to get him some food I mashed up some juvi beardie pellets with calcium and vitamins and again, once his mouth was open he gobbled it all up but he's so small and frail feeling I don't want to stress him out too much with the force feeding. I figured I just needed to get something in his belly before it finishes eating itself. If you flip him upside down he instantly flips himself back over which is good. but most of the time seems to barely have the energy to hold its head up let alone stand. I put it under a basking light for an hour or so and it's stood up which is amazing with how week it seems but he still won't open his eye's. My wife checked him a little bit ago and said he had puss on his eye's again. I don't know if he has calcisand in his eye's still that has scraped it up on the inside or if it's something even more worse. his eye's are definitely in pain and if you touch anywhere near them he shakes his head around for a second like trying to shake off the pain. I get the same reaction sometimes from the force feeding, you can tell he hasn't been handled enough.

Would it be better to try to get some more food in his belly, he only ate about the equivalent of about 2 peas.

What do I do about the puss in his eye's, should I try to clean them out with a Q-tip or could that be too stressful after all he's been through today? I'm really worried about stressing him out too much tonight after being relocated but I'd really like to get his eye's open as soon as possible. We rescued a water dragon a couple years ago who acted exactly like this. The pet store who rescued him said he didn't like worms but ate crickets sometimes. Once we got him home we found out he didn't like worms cus he couldn't hear them and his eye's were both infected and he couldn't open them very well. They had him on that coconut substrate that you add water too and it looks like fuzzy dirt. He had gotten a ton of it packed into the back corners of his eye's so far back you couldn't see it, only reason i noticed it was because he had a speck of dirt on his eye lid the next morning and there was nothing but newspaper in his cage. We got it out and he cheered right up later that day and did great. BUT he was 5 times bigger than this little beardie and a q-tip would fit in his eye to clean it out. How do you clean out a baby beardies eyes?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Poor baby sounds like he is in bad shape.
I dont know what to do, but figured I would bump this back up.
I am glad you took the beardie in to help it.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
What people usually do is drip non-chemical saline solution into their eyes. Keep us updated.
Sara

maze1216

Original Poster
Picture update..

PICT1899.jpg

PICT1900.jpg

PICT1901.jpg

PICT1902.jpg

PICT1903.jpg

PICT1904.jpg

PICT1905.jpg

Don't mind the white on her nose and around her mouth, that's just leftovers from the vitamin water I gave her.

Oh yea, and we checked, he's definately a her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh what a cute little baby, poor thing. :( His eyes probably feel terrible I am sure.
As suggested, using the saline solution several times a day should help quite a bit. Another thing you can do is at night before his bedtime, get some warm tea bags & place them over his eyes, moistened, of course. Let them cover his eyes for a few minutes. Herbal tea bags works well, such as chamomile. The warm moist heat really helps, too. You can put a small handtowel over the teabags to help hold some of the heat in. Don't make them too hot though just warm.
Treat the eyes like you would someone with pink eye, an infection. I can also recommend antibiotic eye ointment. You can buy it from here:
http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=680610.20934&product=Health_Care&user4=Medications/Aids&xm=on

The Terramycin works really well, so maybe you should try that too just so he has no complications of an infection.

Good luck with your little one. Let us know if you need other help with anything.

Tracie

maze1216

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, we'll get some saline tonight and some tea bags tomorrow. If it gets any worse we'll order the Terramycin.

Anyone have any experience with force feeding? Is it better to stress them out with feeding a normal amount of food a couple times a day or just do a little bit at a time a few times a day? I'm sure I'll have to start out with smaller amounts anyway as her stomach has probably shrunk.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I would make a slurry with the calcium added and some water. You can use baby foods, like squash to add extra weight.

Just warm it up a tad, and place a dot on the mouth. If she licks that up, try another dot. Do this several times a day.

Also, try to offer a couple of baths a day for now, water warm for a baby, with some pedalyte. Dribbling the water over the head, around the eyes will help too !

Hope this helps out.
Janie.

maze1216

Original Poster
zebraflavencs":b9dfd said:
I would make a slurry with the calcium added and some water. You can use baby foods, like squash to add extra weight.

Just warm it up a tad, and place a dot on the mouth. If she licks that up, try another dot. Do this several times a day.

Also, try to offer a couple of baths a day for now, water warm for a baby, with some pedalyte. Dribbling the water over the head, around the eyes will help too !

Hope this helps out.
Janie.

Thanks, I did the slurry with calcium, vitamins and water last night, I'll definitely do it again today as she's standing and reacting every time I hold her now. Almost looks like nothings wrong with her cept she's too thin and her eye's won't open. Last night when I gave her the last bath before bed time, she was draped across my finger more like a noodle than a living creature. She's holding her head up much better today and her eye's don't look quite as pussy, i cleaned them out as best as I could and did the saline last night. I'll update more after she's basked for a bit.

maze1216

Original Poster
zebraflavencs":d7840 said:
Oh yes, keep us posted ! So that slurry worked ! Marvelous !
Janie.

Yep, it seems to have helped a lot, she's still pretty lethargic but I took her out side for some nice florida sun a couple times today and she perked up quite a bit, I got her eye's open with some q-tips with saline on em and then for the rest of the time she was out there she kept opening her eyes on her own. She even actually waddled about 10 feet to some shade during her second time. For the most part she was even basking with her mouth open a few times which made it really easy to give her drops of water with the eye dropper. I had made another slurry but decided to just give her a couple drops of the actually slurry but to keep her body from going into shock of too many vitamins to soon, i just gave her water the rest of the time. She even ate a few meal worms this morning the first time I brought her out. I know they're mostly shell but I picked a few that had just molted and when she was basking early this morning I'd drop them on her tongue and she gobbled them right up. I even got her to eat a small piece of hibiscus flower. I tried hibiscus leaves but she just spit em out. She's currently sleeping after her exhausting 10 foot journey. She's still very week and has a hard time standing but that walk was priceless, both eye's open and trotted off across the sidewalk to the shade of a bush. Last night I really wasn't sure if she was going to make it but after today.... I think she might actually last. We've decided to call her Yuki and hopefully she'll be with us for a long time.

On a side note we also adopted another beardie last night named Norbert, they didn't have the time to take care of him so we got him an his whole setup. We saw pictures of him before we got him but nothing quite prepared us for what he was. They had bought him as a normal and thought he was. My wife showed up at the door with Karma, our huge german giant, on her shoulder and they answered and saw Karma and said, "aww, it's a little Norbert!" He is HUGE, and cute, and REALLY REALLY wants to mate with Karma but I don't think he knows what he's doing yet but man is he manly. His forearms look like Popeye's, you'd think he had to much spinach if he would eat anything other than bok choy. He hung out with our iguana for a while this morning, they got along great. I don't think Norbert ever expected to run into a lizard that is bigger than him. I'll try to get some pictures up today in the picture forum, hopefully I'll be able to find a way to truly capture the enormity of Norbert in a picture.

maze1216

Original Poster
UPDATE! She's doing so much better, standing up on her own opening her right eye without much trouble. Her left eye still seals itself shut and I have to get it open for her and she still prefers to keep it closed... I really think she'll make it.. :) YAY

PICT1931.jpg

PICT1932.jpg

PICT1934.jpg

PICT1935.jpg

PICT1936.jpg

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh yes ! That's our baby !
I am so glad to see this, after answering as I did earlier. Great job ! Awwe she's trying to be fierce ! That's a Kodak moment !

Now, Norbert and Karma pictures please ! :D
Janie.

maze1216

Original Poster
KARMA AND NORBERT PICS!!!! just posted for those that are interested.. :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=109006&hilit=

Yuki is still doing good tonight, holding her head up much better but still having problems with her eye's. Her body is filling out already too, and she's holding herself up with her legs for longer periods of time. I'm about to give her a final bath for the night, even though it's late and tuck her back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom