Leo, the Uro! With pictures of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!! I'm not entirely new to the site, as a few of you may know Rango and Bailey, my beardies, a little. They are doing well, loving their new custom viv's, like a king and queen, of course. Well what I'm on this thread to do is introduce the newest member of our growing family. Meet Leo. He is a Mali Uromastyx. I got him off Craigslist, I talked to the lady before getting him to find out why she was giving him and his entire custom enclosure setup away for FREE. She said it's just because she wanted to "thin out" a little. She had another uro, and a ton of other tropical geckos, blue tails and the such. She said she got him after hurricane Katrina, making him about 5-6 years old now. I was kind of weary to get another herp as I've obtained 2 in the past month and a half and wasn't sure if I really wanted another. So I asked a few questions, like what he eats and his substrate and other herp questions. And when she told me that he lived on sand I knew right then that I wanted him, to save him from the sand. And she had told me he lived in a 40 long tank. Well it was actually two 10 gallon tanks with a side cut out of each and taped together. I took it to be polite of course but decided to house him in Rangos old 40 breeder tank :) so nonetheless his tank won't go to waste yay! :blob8: She informed me that she wasn't giving him much attention anymore and you can definitely tell :( he's real skiddish right now, but also in the beginning of his brumation for the winter, so now I have a uro who won't come around till who knows when?! :(

Sorry about the story. Just wanted to fill everyone in on his life before today :)
So without further ado: **oh and he's shedding right now too** he's supposed to be black and gold-ish, perfect for my NOLA Saints team :D
6bd71e12.jpg

here he is in my hand. I didn't measure how long he is bc he started to get fussy.
3a825795.jpg

salt build-up around his nose,, is this normal? the lady said it was??
125cd2d6.jpg

and him hiding in his new house, I knew we didn't make that one for no reason :D **he didn't have a blanket in this pic but he demanded one afterwards :) **
d10b1799.jpg

I will be honest, I didn't know that caring for a Uro was much different than caring for a beardie.. I have since learned this. I WILL do everything to get this little guy the perfect life he deserves. Any help from all of you would be SOO GREAT!! I'm a pretty quick learner, and I read, read, read, absorbing everything I can about these guys. In his previous viv his temps didn't get nearly as high as required as the same bulb isn't putting out near enough heat now. And someone told me that Uro's, unlike beardies, don't like to be held or have blankets.. well this guy here liked that blanket, because I just had it in the enclosure and he went and cuddled up on it, so I moved it to see what he would do and he followed it.. so I put it in his house where he's been sleeping, as the lady says he's beginning brumation.. she said his brumation time is from mid-october until late february!!!! gosh I don't like this brumation stuff.. is 4 months normal? I only ask bc I only have baby beardies and well they aren't gonna brumate just yet. Thanks again. I can't give temps just yet because well I just got him today and I know they aren't right yet so I'm going to get new bulbs tomorrow for him. Any suggestions for wattage for a 40 breeder glass enclosure that will reach 120+? The 50watts in my 4x2x2's for my beardies works for them but they are in wooden closed in enclosures.. soo I'm not sure what watt?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Uro's are easy to care for, you can check out mine and Brandon's threads in the Uro section.
Nice Mali :wink:
Welcome to the Uro group :mrgreen:

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Thanks so much! I have been snooping around both of your threads and I am picking up/absorbing all KINDS of information! I'm thinkking I might try a PowerSun MVB bulb for this guy instead of two different lights? any opinion to that?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I like the 160 watt powersun for my uro. I see temps right around 120°F sometimes a bit higher or lower. Gaulam does well under this light.
Oh, the "snalt" build up is generally from feeding insects, too many or too much and the uro cannot process them well.
They do well with a salad the same as you would give a dragon.
If you live out where there is not any pesticides or weed killers being used, or if you can get it locally to you, dandelion greens and flowers, they love em. :wink:

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Well great! I will definitely have to pick up an MVB for him tomorrow. I was going to use one for my beardies but went traditional for them so here comes something else new! YAY! This "snalt" build up, I take it that it's a not-so-good thing.. Right? Will it go away with time if I discontinue feeding him live feeders? The lady claimed to feed him "a few" crickets, and I'm not sure how many "a few" really was though, once a week or so.. I'm really excited to have him though! Does he look healthy to you? I read on a few threads that you guys mention that a round belly is a good belly, his belly seems round to me.. I think? lol.. also his skin seems loose, is that okay? kinda feels like grandma/pa skin, you know?

Also, substrate. I have him on repti-carpet right now, is that an okay substrate, as that they like to dig? Now that winter is here, where do I buy bird seed to change it out every week, or how often does that occur?

Sorry for SOOO many questions, but you and Brandon definitely seem to be the most prominent, knowledgeable and "go-to" Uro men on the forums! It seems like the Uro community is rather small? I'm really excited to be a part of it.. I guess I should have introduced myself in the first post as I did for Leo, but I'm Anna; a small town girl, with big city dreams, as my mother says.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The birdseed can be bought anywhere they sell it, ensure it is low dust and doesn't contain sunflower seeds or anything else that looks adverse. I forget what I got the very first time but, it had these little sharp spur seeds in it, stir clear. You will want birdseed for small birds.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753491
pPETS-3761100t400.jpg

He does look healthy. The snalt will subside when on a proper diet. I do (not sure about Brandon) feed my uro maybe 2-3 insects a month. Each time I do so he gets snalt build up but, it goes away in a few days.
Also I feed bird pellets, they are the fruit flavored ones, Gaulam loves them. Which is a plus cause they are very good for him.
http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/birds/fruitblend%E2%84%A2-flavor-premium-daily-bird-food
I get the one in the green highlighted packaging.
80020%20FB%202lb%20XS.jpg

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
SUPER!! Thank you SOO MUCH for all the quick replies and the amazing help! Seeing as he is in brumation right now I guess I shouldn't expect too much from him, but I would love to see him dig and play in bird seed, lol, and eat greens.. bc all my baby bd's do is NEVER eat the greens!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The hide should be lower, they like to be able to feel their back on the top of the hide.
Helps with security. :wink:

Forgot to mention this too, congrats Anna on the uro. :mrgreen:

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
I read that in some other posts as well.. I was given a small hide when I received him, he was curled up in that one, the one he has had for,, well forever I'm assuming.. and I put it in his new enclosure so he could go in it if he wants to, but seemingly enough he went in the other one.. After reading all of the posts saying they like hides that touch their backs I wondered why he chose the new, strange one over his familar one that's the only piece of his former life? I didn't wanna bother him to ask, I figured that as long as I give him the choice, he will decide,, right? Or should I take the larger one away from him?

here is a pic of his viv setup.. his old hide is on the left
6b196262.jpg

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
That might be what it is. The lady had him on about three inches of sand before so he probably had a bit more room after digging some of it out. How deep would you suggest for the bird seed? two to three inches?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
RangoTheBeardie":33ilt3m8 said:
Awesomeness!! I will definitely be getting that ASAP for him.. and of course will update to let you know how it goes!
I can't wait.
Thinking after I post like always LOL
Might want to do closer to 2 inches. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom