Left on heat lamp over night

Status
Not open for further replies.

meboyer1987

I recently got a bearded dragon. A week and a day ago. He is about 2 mo. I had heard to turn off his uvb light, but to leave his heart lamp on. So I did for a week. My daughter had a stomach virus and I noticed while being up in the middle of the night he was up at 2am and 4am... he decided Saturday he didn't want to eat meal worms anymore and seems sleepy. I freaked out and did research. Put him in a dark room for a nap, and lay night and tonight have turned out his lights. He still eats crickets, fed him about 6 today, and he ate a little kale,but he'd only eat one meal worm. He was eating 20+ before. Will he be okay? Does he just need to get back to a norm? Today was the first day he didn't poo, but he didn't eat much. Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure I care for him properly.

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
Lights go off at night. All of them, because the light will keep him up and he'll never sleep. If you need heat at night to keep temps above 65*F try a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter). Any "night bulb" or basking light on at night is only going to disturb his sleep. I also recommend a timer, you just set it up and plug your stuff into it. Then you don't ever have to worry about it staying on as the timer will turn it off and on at the right times each day, this helps establish a routine. As far as feeding goes, it sounds to me like he's still adjusting some and maybe is stressed. Give it time and keep offering the crickets and worms and he'll come around soon I'm sure.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I would nix the mealworms as those are hard for beardies to digest. Phoenix worms are good. The crickets are fine as long as they are smaller than the space between the eyes.

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
destiny1998":8tasjo46 said:
Hi. I would nix the mealworms as those are hard for beardies to digest. Phoenix worms are good. The crickets are fine as long as they are smaller than the space between the eyes.

This is also true. A site where you can order in bulk that people have suggested is

http://www.symtonbsf.com/store/p7/Reptile_Feeding_Grade_Soldier_Grubs_%28ship_on_May_02%29.html

I would switch over to the BSF (Black Soldier Fly / Phoenix worms, its the same thing different names) or super worms even would be a better option.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hatchling bearded dragons (and other day time lizards) are often active at night, my water skink often midnight raided her salad / softened pellets and hunted down crickets quite late at night , and often could be seen watching TV. Similarly with my bluetongues, and adult and now juvenile beardies (Peppa and Toothless).I often hear bangs coming from Peppa or Toothless's tubs (100L rearing tubs) as late a 1am, and when I look , I see him or her chewing away on something they've caught (a cricket) or at their salad dish having a late night snack. There is nothing wrong with this , only light in the room will be that coming from the TV, my laptop on the coffee table and subdued light from a 4ft fluoro in the kitchen (about 20ft away), so it's not brightly lit up once we turn off the dining and lounge room lights.

If it gets cooler than 24oC in the room the little hatchling is housed, definitely provide a warm area in it's tank to sleep , either
-- a thermostat controlled ceramic heat emitter (mushroom shaped globe that ONLY gives of radiant heat , be sure to mount it in good quality all ceramic socket as they get HOT and plastic sockets will soften and melt and may even ignite and fail), the CHE needs to be on timer to come on when the UV and basking lights are turned off
or
-- a thermostat controlled heat pad (under the tank , or better inside the tank but sandwiched between 2 layers of ceramic tiles), this can run 24/7 and all my lizards have them in their tanks and rearing tubs and they ALL LOVE them, for my adult, hatchling and juvenile beardies I set their "HEATSLABS" to 37oC and their hides are on top of their heatslabs.

Crickets : a 4 - 8 week week old hatchling will take 20day old crickets (10-12mm long), good idea to feed/gutload the crickets with dry straight out the bottle repcal adult beardie pellets + carrot (fresh) and buk choi greens (fresh) and to dust the crickets (in a separate jar) with calcium dust daily , and a mix of calcium dust and vitamin dust 3 days a week.
2 - 3 live insect feeds per day for a very young hatchling , allow a couple of hours in am for the hatchling to warm up before first feed, and at least 3 hours after the last feed before lights out.
A 15 - 16 hour day is appropriate for hatchling bearded dragons (this will simulate summer (breeding season) daylight hours in the natural range in central tropical Australia of central bearded dragons and encourage them to bask and take in sufficient UVA and UVB.

Other good insects
-- calcigents / phoenix worms / black soldier fly lavae
-- blowfly maggots and flies
-- silkworms (for your little hatchling silkworms up to 1 inch long are ideal, live silkworm moths are good too)

Your UV source needs to be the most intense reptile UV tube or CFB you can get , rated at a minimum of 30% UVA and 10-12% UVB, I use 26W UVB200s for my beardies, and allow the beardies to get within 6" of their UVB globes. In their natural range the UVI is typically > 14 during the day, VERY EXTREME UV index.

NO SAND in the tank (especially for a hatchling).

NO WATER BOWL in the tank (will increase tank humid too much). Use the water drip on nose method to give them water, or simply ensure they have access to fresh grated carrot and buk choi greens daily - will provide moisture when eaten, and live insects are an excellent source of moisture too, note bearded dragons have evolved to survive in central tropical Australia's deserts, spinefix grasslands / sevannahs and dry woodlands, can go several years with NO STANDING water in these areas and with little or no rain (even during the summer - cyclone / monsoon season).

Kale is excellent, so are buk choi, puk choi, dandelion greens and flowers, nasturtium greens and flowers as staple greens.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GoneForLunch":3szbj6q6 said:
Lights go off at night. All of them, because the light will keep him up and he'll never sleep. If you need heat at night to keep temps above 65*F try a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter). Any "night bulb" or basking light on at night is only going to disturb his sleep. I also recommend a timer, you just set it up and plug your stuff into it. Then you don't ever have to worry about it staying on as the timer will turn it off and on at the right times each day, this helps establish a routine. As far as feeding goes, it sounds to me like he's still adjusting some and maybe is stressed. Give it time and keep offering the crickets and worms and he'll come around soon I'm sure.

these are ideal http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-hour-timer-2-pack_p7052868

used these for years for my lizards and other household stuff , recently upgraded to these http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-plug-in-slim-digital-timer-7-day-2-pack_p4420345 and think they are excellent.

Steer clear of combined thermostat timer gizmos (expensive and more bother than they are worth , especially their audible out of range alarms, tried these for a short time and wound up giving up on them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom