Lazy 1-2 month old dragon, impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Dexters been kinda lazy since he changed cricket sizes. The breeder I got my new dragon from sell crickets and they sold me 1/3-1/2 inch crix and I thought they were huge dex was eating 1/4 in. But he seems to be able to handle them. I've been feedin them in a feeding box out of the tank. They have different tanks don't worry they don't live together, and Dexter has just gotten lazy. He won't chase crix any more. He kinda will but he mainly waits for them to come to him. I fed him in his tank today and he chased the first 3 and after that it was just what he could reach. He's been laying around alot. I'm worried what does impaction look like? He's 1-2 months old and 6.5 inches but he's kinda little still. Are those crix to big? I thought they were and the crix supplier is giving me 500 .25 inch for free cause the ones I got are to big now and I've already had like 20 wing out. Which I let go cause they can't eat those. Any help is welcomed thanks!

Kaiser

Juvie Member
The general rule of thumb for feeder sizes in comparison with your bearded dragon, is that whatever you feed your bearded dragon should be no bigger (whether it's width or length-wise, feeder-wise) than the space between your bearded dragon's eyes. For a bearded dragon of that age and size, you should stick to the smaller crickets, as 1/3-1/2 inch crickets do seem quite large to me. Even if he might eat them, it does not necessarily mean he can "handle" them.

Signs of impaction are lack of energy, lack of appetite, and possibly the biggest indicator, not defecating regularly. If your bearded dragon has not been defecating regularly, it could be an impaction.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is not eating as much but I'd assume that's cause the Crix are double the size he's used to. And he had quite the healthy poo today I guess I'm worried for nothing... I'll keep updating on his status.

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Zero138":2ycatb97 said:
He is not eating as much but I'd assume that's cause the Crix are double the size he's used to. And he had quite the healthy poo today I guess I'm worried for nothing... I'll keep updating on his status.

Well, if the crickets are bigger, he probably doesn't have to eat as much. But once again, it's highly recommended that you do not feed your bearded dragon anything larger than the space between their eyes. Some might get away with it, but it can put your bearded dragon at risk of an impaction. I'm glad it passed through your bearded dragon's system recently, but the time it took for that to happen still indicates that something was wrong, and if nothing gets changed, it may just happen again. Just a precaution, but hopefully everything goes alright! Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom