Lay Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

We had Gonzo to a new vet on Saturday due to the irractic behavior, not eating or pooping (except only urate today) . He said Gonzo looked good and gave a few suggestions that we have already done. If Gonzo does not eat or poop within a few more days we may take him back for an xray. I absolutely love this vet. He is strictly reptiles and even used to breed etc. also. He was so informative and helpful and really cares about the exotics.

We did ask about the sex and he said it was hard to tell on Gonzo but due to the size of the femoral pores he would say female. He did say he felt a bump on each lower side of her belly and since you usually cant feel the kidneys because of their placement he said there may be a few eggs.

Regards to a lay box. We got some topsoil today. My question is do you just put a plastic container with the mixture in the tank off to one side for her to get in as she wants or keep the lay box outside of the tank and put the beardie in every so often? If she doesn't want bothered with it at all does that mean she isn't going to lay? I really don't understand the process.

I also received a new infrared Temp gun today. Love it! I did have to dim the light on the basking side a little bit to lower the temp. How cool should it be on the other side?

Thanks in advance

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I mixed play sand with my topsoil and put it in a separate box. I would put the box in her viv and place her in it, she'd scratch and dig when she wanted. When it got closer to laying time she'd be in there quite a bit until she laid her clutch then covered it. She was exhausted after.

Make sure you give additional calcium supplementation at this time. If she can't get it from her diet she'll get it from her bones in order to develop the eggs.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
she is only in a 40 gallon tank so I am thinking a small Tupperware tub will fit on the one end. she hasn't been eating so she hasn't been getting her calcium I put on it. I mentioned that to the vet. Is there something people do to make sure beardies get calcium if not eating. I am getting some Dubias tomorrow to see if she will eat those and I will dust them in case she does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a tank that small, I'd set it up as an external lay box and give her a bunch of supervised time in it each day rather than crowding the space in her regular tank.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
I got some basic topsoil to make a lay box but when I was putting it in the tub I notices little pieces of bark or wood and small stones in it. Is that safe to use? I see many use sand but I was told sand was not good for them because they could accidently lick it or breath it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom