Last check list

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobSTER

hey guys, will here. thanks for reading.
so im about to purchase a baby beardie very soon just want to make sure ive not missed anything.
ive set up a 4x2 viv its looking pretty awesome. ive got 2 tubes one at 10% and one at 2%. ive ot the basking end on top of the rock at about 42 Celsius reducing to about 28 at the cool end.

humidity is at around 45% most of the time.

ive got slate tiles to make the ground up. ive got a few different climbing areas. ive got a water dish in the cool end along with a bark tunnel.

In the hot end i have made like a cave and on top of that ive sat the basking rock.

ive researched about food different insects different sizes (between the eyes) veggies and greens and calcium. also tips on hand feeding and encoring self feeding.

Ive bought timers and i plan to sent them on at 7AM (30 mins before i get up) and off at 8pm

my questions.

1. i need to figure out what the little guy is going to sleep on. sand etc is soft but i dont want any risk of early impaction.

2. are my temps and humidity correct?

3. should i get a pair or is a lone dragon going to be happier?

4. have i missed anything else?

/edit oh and ive not picked one yet. the place im going has around 8 babies in the same viv..... any advice on choosing?

thanks in advance

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He will probably just sleep on his log or in the hide. They tend to just fall asleep where they happen to be when they get tired.

Temps and humidity sound good.

A lone dragon will definitely be happier. They tend to cause stress and even harm when they are together so it's best to have one or be prepared to have multiple setups and to keep them separated.

There is usually one who will stand out to you for one reason or another. You'll know when you see him. Good luck and enjoy your new buddy =). Please let us know if you have any other questions and keep us posted on his progress.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you get a little one, they sometimes like to cozy into branches, fake plants or little crevices. Some people offer fleecy blankets so they can nestle into them. Pepper would sleep in a little nook formed by his basking rock at the top of his cage when we was a baby. He'd also hang behind the rock, between it and the wall - I assume to help hide himself. I'd provide elevated perches with some degree of coverage if I got another baby.

If you don't have many, sticks and twigs are great furniture for little ones when they are still keen on climbing.

One dragon will be easier on both of you. In addition to what cooper mentions, if you have two there is almost no way for you to know who's poop is whose and to keep good tract of health clues.

Pick one that is alert, and active, they may even come to the front to interact with you. You'll probably know right away with one you like best. A few thoughts on health though: It's not a bad idea to pick the biggest of the bunch - usually that indicates a stronger animal. Avoid the smallest in the bunch (especially if they are clutch mates) that can indicate a weaker or sickly animal that may not thrive as well. Make sure it is clean, no crusty eyes, no dirty vent. Do a check of toes, tail tip and look for any signs of injury, infection or mites. Healed nips are ok, but darkened areas around any injuries or missing toes/tail tips can be a sign of infection. It might also be a good idea to ask to see the animal fed, to make sure it's eating.

Enjoy your dragon, babies are just too much fun.

sue09

Hatchling Member
Regarding sand , a lot of people on here use paper towels as they are easy to clean and dont look to bad,others use newspaper some of us still use sand and have no problems. Its basically down to your choice and what is right for you and your beardie, Good luck when you get your new friend, Sue

noobSTER

Original Poster
so i got him. "Bernard" had for around 24 hours now. he seems to be settling. some stress marks but not many i guess. hes i think around 4 months. he wasn't the bigest in the clutch but he came to me so.....

hes not eating much. ihes probably eat 5 crickets in 24 hours. ill assume its just the move, its very hard to get him to eat out of my fingers. and hes to clumsy to catch them himself. ive tried freezing a few crickets to slow them down. which has slow them down but still he just sits and looks at them . this sounds horrible but i has to pull a leg of the last circlet (poor thing) so he would catch it.

ive lost about 5 crickets in the viv too..... my viv looks cool but theres a few tiny gaps in the backing decor they keep sneaking in to.

any feeding tips? am i just being inpatient? should i try a feeding box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom