LARGE Gaping Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! Currently my beardie, Taz, is laying on her rock bridge in the sunning area, gaping her mouth WIDE open. I can see part of her tongue sticking out. Sometimes she smacks her lips. I have never seen her mouth open so wide and it is worrying me. She just ate a bunch of grasshoppers about 10 minutes ago. I'm worried that she is having troubles digesting them and is having a hard time breathing and that's why she has it open so wide. She appears happy, but I'm always worried about her, because she has some pre-existing bone conditions.
Is everything ok with my girl?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Sounds like she is basking and digesting her feeders, the gaping is thermoregulation and nothing to worry about.
The lip smacking however is most likely a sign she is thirsty. After proper time basking give her a bathe. Have you bathed before?

cutesiepie4ever

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply!
I actually gave her and her sister a bath yesterday for the first time since becoming their adoptive mom. Basically I filled up the tub a bit and gently massaged water onto their skin. Is this proper technique, or should I be washing with a certain solution or doing something specific with them while bathing?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
cutesiepie4ever":i4c90oy4 said:
Thanks so much for the reply!
I actually gave her and her sister a bath yesterday for the first time since becoming their adoptive mom. Basically I filled up the tub a bit and gently massaged water onto their skin. Is this proper technique, or should I be washing with a certain solution or doing something specific with them while bathing?

Bathing:
2-3 times a week for 10-15 minutes in 93-96°F should height water.

I actually have a baby toothbrush (soft or very soft work well) that I gently scrub my dragons with to remove anything from their skin, that shouldn't be there.
Some people use baby shampoos though I never have.

Make sure you keep a close eye on the dragon when bathing. They can aspire water very easily.

cutesiepie4ever

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!
Being new with all this, I think I might make a weekly schedule with their bathing, feeding, cleaning, vitamin needs in order to keep it all together. Have you or anyone else ever tried this?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I do this, for allot of my routines then it becomes natural and you do not have to refer to it as much if at all. Good practice.
Also you will want to record weights and lengths, this gives a growth chart. It is a great idea because sudden halts in growth and weight loss can be symptoms of things like parasites.

If you have any questions you may want to make a thread something like "new and have questions".
There are allot of people on here with great advice and answers. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom