large bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam

We rescued a large size bearded dragon - not sure of the age as it was donated. One side of the tank is 120 but I understand it should be 110. I have read things that if he seems ok, the temp should be fine. He seems to like it and still active in the tank. However, twice now he has had a little bit of blood in the stool. We know that lighting/heat is key. Should we raise the light more so that maybe it does not get so hot? Also, how do we regulate to make sure the other side is 80 degrees in the cool spot? This is a very large tank 30x12x12 tank. Thanks for the help

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
TBH, that tank is not NEARLY big enough- most people say at least 40 gallon breeder, but even that is small. I have mine in a 4 x 1.5 x 2, which is ideal (well actually 4x2x2 is ideal, but you get the point). I would upgrade IMMEDIATELY. What UV do you have? You will want the ReptiSun 10.0 t5 if you don't already have it. As far as heat goes, you need to lower temps ASAP. If he is a juvenile, 105º works best, and for an adult, no more than 100º. What thermometer are you using? (IR temp gun, stick on, probe, etc)?

mam

Original Poster
It's a 20 gallon tank and we have a 10.0 UVB. We have a stick on temp but getting one for the other side of the tank today.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
But is it a long light or a coil? And get that bigger tank ASAP!!

Also, don't waste your money on another stick on- they are junk. Buy an IR temp gun off of amazon- they cost maybe $12-15 bucks, and work great

haalojosie

Hey there,

I agree with everyone in saying that you should get a bigger tank if possible. They need room to run around turn properly. As well, proper UVB and lighting is important. Tube lights are the best form of UVB for your dragon.

Also to answer your temp question, I don't think 120 is ideal for an adult dragon. You might want to try a lower wattage bulb to reduce the temperature.

mam

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone on the help, tank is heated to proper temp now! Thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom