Lame Leg on Pogi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry to hear about Pogi. I know how much you loved him and do love him. I think you did the kindest thing for him you could have done. I mean that with the best of intentions. It takes a lot of love to end suffering in an animal and a lot of heartache. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Rest in Peace Pogi.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I read your memorial and it was beautifully written. I am going to tell you from experience from the death of my Gieco. I kept his tank as it was but cleaned it thoroughly and all of his things and put them back in the tank. I had not yet buried him because I still had Emily to take care of and had to go get crickets for her. When I went to petsmart for her crickets a little baby I had to walk by ran to the glass and danced and danced then arm waved at me. Now I know I had just lost Geico that day but something told me I had to have that baby so he came home with me. For 5 months Emmett was in Geico's tank with Geico's things. I found myself calling him from time to time Geico and not Emmett. As time went on from when I got him till today certain things or mannerisms were identical to Geico's. I finally had to redo the tank to make it Emmett's. I will never forget Geico but, Emmett is his own lizard and needed a tank for him and not a memory I had for Geico. If that makes sense. Emmett still, when I am having a hard time over Geico, will do something that reminds me Geico is still with me in spirit. I am so glad I redid the tank instead of memorializing it and keeping Emmett in it. I have since let Geico go as hard as it was and still is. Emmett is not Geico and I had to make myself believe that. Its hard, I wont lie to you but I think if you get another beardie, it would be best to let your new baby have a tank of his own and not Pogi's tank. It would be easier on you to redo it. I hope you can understand my rambling and that it's up to you what you do. Just realize that with a new one you may find yourself calling him/her Pogi. Its human nature!

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you... Good kind advice... I just gave my neighbor my feeders for he has a menagerie of reptiles and exotics. He showed me several sites for breeders etc. so I do plan to look at them...and I do plan to revise the tank setup to accommodate the new spirit that will live in there some day soon. Glad you found your baby when you did... Really sounded as if he found you! :)

Again... Thank you xxxooo

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry to read about Pogi. You and your family loved him so much and did everything possible. :cry:

-Sabrina

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am so sorry that you had to make the decision to put Pogi to sleep. I know how hard that is but it has to be done when we love them so much and don't want them to suffer any longer. It's the one final thing we can do for them to put them at rest.

Your Memorial for him was beautiful, it made me cry and I could read the love for him in what you wrote. He touched all of your hearts very deeply. Your son sounds so special and he cared for him so much too, bless his heart. I'm sure Pogi loved you all right back especially during the special moments you had with him after his baths.

It's gonna be hard for all of you for a while. No other beardie will ever take his place and I agree with Tonja that revamping the whole setup would be best. They are all so unique & they need to have something set up just for them.

HUGS for all of you.

R.I.P. Pogi

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for all the kind words...my kids were visibly upset when they can home and saw his empty tank... It would have felt even worse had I not prepared them.. So they got to say goodbye. Ironically it was my daughter who seemed dr sated the most... She never wanted to pet Pogi until recently for she was just afraid of him... She felt terrible that he was put to sleep.

Funny how we misunderstand so many things and then regret later that we didn't try harder to understand. Now she wants to be involved in the search for a future beardie. Even has a list of potential names started. Love those Beardies now..the love you give is the love you get...and that can never be taken away even in death.

So many lessons we learn from our pets.. The silent teachers.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It must have been so hard for them to see his empty tank. :( It was good that you prepared them as much as you could beforehand and that they got to say their goodbyes. Feel bad for your daughter, good that she wants to get involved with the future beardie. Will give them both something else to think about. If you need some breeder sites, let us know as we all want to help if we can to make this all a little easier now.

You're right, the love can never be taken away and the memories will be with all of you forever.

They are such smart & loving creatures, have taught us all SO much. :love5:

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I brought my neighbor who has a menagerie of reptiles Pogi's feeders, since I didn't know how long it would be before I would find another, I didn't want them to go to waste...and I know how expensive they can be and he is a student who would certainly appreciate the extra feeders...guess he saw my puffy eyes and he felt bad for me...so he showed me some sites of breeders he was familiar with...and my heart just grew as I flipped through all those photos of such beautiful beardies! I am very hesitant to adopt a young hatchling after Pogi...I wanted to find a beardie that wouldn't remind us of him exactly so I looked up older juvies that are 6 mths and up. I believe I found one...he is about 6 mths old born 10-29-2013... a citrus orange glow skin...a hypo leatherback male with Parents Het Hypo Tang Mom and Hypo trans Dad...204 grams....15 3/4 long...from Dragons4You...for 190 including shipping.

I'm nervous about going through a breeder and having him shipped, but at the same time I felt better after reading their care sheet and how they are raised. They also ship overnight so if he ships Monday, we get him Tuesday. I inquired about him (dragon #12) and she said he was very tame, a great eater, likes baths, loves collards & squash, and she would have kept him for herself but that she had too many males already.

So I think I am going to go for him...I will post pictures of him. Any advice on how to help them with the stress of relocation? I want any new dragon to get the best start.

Pogi was 74 grams and 10.5 long at 3-4 mths...so this is definitely more dragon than we are used to, but I think it will be more comforting to see and handle an almost grown beardie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, he sounds perfect and 6 months old is a good age too. He sure sounds stunning. Awesome that he is tame, eating well and loves baths too. Can't wait to see pictures of him. :)

It is hard waiting for them to arrive when they are shipped overnight but most breeders are extremely careful about that and worry about them like we do waiting for them to arrive. Great that particular breeder could ship on a Monday for a Tuesday arrival. Do you know if they use FEDEX? They could send you a tracking number so you can follow his flight.

As far as reducing his stress level once he arrives, I watch for signs to see how nervous they are and look for stress marks, let him be the one to let you know when he is ready for more attention out of his tank. Best to handle very infrequently the first 2 days. Putting a slightly worn shirt in the tank (probably one of yours) helps them to get your scent. Offering drips of water in the tank with a plastic medicine dropper helps too and I'll bet your kids would like watching that. It also helps with the bonding.

Good luck, this is very exciting. :p

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! Great advice! Hope I can resist picking him up! She did he was a big eater and to offer some crickets after a few hours... I might do dubias instead... I can get some back from my neighbor.

He is coming FedEx in a styrofoam container in a reptile bag... She said he may be messy with poo so to be ready to bathe him. I feel like an expectant parent!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so excited for you! I cant wait, you will have to share the tracking number when hes shipped so we can track his travels. He sounds so handsome. He will never replace Pogi but you will have enough love for them both and the memories of Pogi will be with you forever. I feel like an expectant auntie I had to go look at him, he is beautiful and I see what you mean about the rosy glow to him.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
What an emotional roller coaster of a day. Your new big boy is quite the stunner! While this big boy can never replace Pogi, it will help fill that void. Are your children excited or is he a surprise? I can't wait to hear how he does upon arrival. Hopefully he doesn't decide to finger paint in transit :shock:

-Sabrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom