Ladybugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Every year at this time, ladybugs come in the house to be somewhere warm before winter hits. This is the first winter I have had beardies. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure they can't get into the tanks? All three have screen lids and one has a hinged screen lid. Sezja gave us a heart attack going after one, but it was luckily on the outside between the glass and the background. If it had been on the inside she would have eaten it before we could stop her. :angry5:

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Are lady bugs poisonous? I understand not wanting your beardie ingesting pesticides and parasites and whatnot with wild caught insects, but is there reason to be worried about lady bugs other than that?

Thanks,
CK

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
A while ago I was doing research on lady bugs since someone was asking if they were safe to feed to hermit crabs. On a not-entirely-credible website I found "When threatened, ladybugs "reflex bleed," releasing hemolymph form their leg joints. The yellow hemolymph is both toxic and foul-smelling, and effectively deters predators. The ladybug's bright colors, red and black in particular, may signal its toxicity to predators as well." Like I said, the site wasn't the most credible, but the basic idea popped up over and over again.

So will it kill them? No, probably not. All the same, not something I would want anyone chowing down on.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did a search and found three reputable dragon sites in addition to many post on BD.ORG(in just a few minutes of searching) that say they are very toxic to beardies. I am not trying to correct anyone, but I feel there is enough info out there and I wouldn't want someone to take it lightly. I just want to do all I can to protect my babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom