Lacking trust in beardie and stress marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Still a newbie worrying I got Mojo, my 4 (I think) month old dragon on the 19th of July all happy and healthy from the reptile shop near by.
I got a few questions.

1. Mojo seemed to be not stressed at all from day one. Ate probably the whole worlds worth of food and more, climbing and running about like normal, pooing (ok, that one was a bit disgusting, but means she is eating and nothing is wrong) all normal things, wasn't hiding or hissing at all. Seemed to love being stroked and being picked up. But I've noticed stress marks from the day I got him (only stress sign I've seen) but heard for babies that this is normal and that they appear when going darker to absorb the heat from the heat lamp, is this true? I've seen this when he is under the light. Is he stressed or is what I read true?

2. Although Mojo seems very tame, I'm lacking trust in her. I've never had a beardie or reptile before. I own 2 dogs, 2 rabbits, 3 goldfish and a gerbil and in the past have had more fish, a hamster, 2 cats and another gerbil, so have lots of experience with other animals, but not beardies. An animal like a gerbil I think is more likely to run away if you hold them than a beardie (from my experience). But Mojo happily sits on my hand or on my leg or bed or something, but am worried that he'll suddenly make a run for it. I'm scared she might run and jump and hurt herself or something. I don't know. I'd have her on my leg for 2-3 mins before I put her back on my hand as I think he'll leg it. Do you think he will and if he runs he will be ok? He's only small as he's about 4 months. I'll probably get more used to Mojo and what she does as he gets older, plus I've heard that babies are more skittish than bigger ones/adults.
Any tips on how to learn to trust Mojo a bit more and will she just run and possibly heart her himself? Has this happened to anyone else?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about the stress marks if she is active and eating, everything else looks fine. They are normal on the little ones. Dragons do change color a bit depending on if they are trying to absorb or reflect light/heat. That is also normal and nothing to worry about. As for the escaping, they don't generally run off too far. They are very curious though and especially the young ones will love to roam around the house and investigate everything. When they get tired they tend to just find a corner and go curl up. They also like to jump and show no fear. They can hurt themselves doing this but they tend to be pretty tough. They have a tell tale bunch up motion that they seem to do right before they jump. Keep an eye out for that and you can usually get a hand out to catch them. Keep a close eye on her when she's roaming. Be sure to keep other animals away and not let her wander into a place that could be dangerous for her. If you keep a close eye on her, then I suggest allowing her to wander in a safe area.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You can try setting up a safe area to let her roam and get used to you. Remove or block off anything she could get behind or under and not be easily retrievable, clean up dangerous or edible sized things etc. then just sit with her and let her explore you and the area.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help,
I'll block off all the small places under doors and the cabinet the viv and clear things off the floor. I'll get her out and put her in my room and I'll sit with her and she will be safe to roam the place. I guess by doing this I can gain more trust in her and learn what her actions are like so when she's older I know more of what she will do. :)

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I agree, provide a safe place and let her roam.. you'll form the trust/bond over time.. it'll give your beardie a chance to get exercise and reduce any boredom..I just make sure my floor is cleared of any small pieces and rope off the under the bed/bureaus and you'll be glad you let her do her thing.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom