Lack of uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new uvb bulb in January but I'm starting to think maybe it was bad. I moved my beardie from my bedroom to my dining room in early March and I gave her about 2 weeks to adjust. But she never seemed to wanna start eating again and kept hiding under her plants on the cool side so we are currently waiting at the vets now for a check up. She hasn't wanted to ear or bask or run around since she was moved and she wasn't really eating to muchh of her salad before we moved her but I attributed that to just getting over pinworms. She also hasn't pooped for about three weeks now.

So when we stopped for gas on the way to the vet I opened the window so she could get some good uvb from the sun. Almost immediately her mood was better she started running around and about twenty minutes later she took a huge poop in her carrier. She a lot more alert now and hasn't tried to hide or lay down since she got the little bit of sun she did.

I was wondering if anyone knew that IF the uvb was bad if it would cause her mood to change from being energetic and alert to hiding and being lethargic. I know improper uvb can cause appetite changes and effect bowl movement.

Any insight or anything would be appreciated.

Enclosure details
40g breeder
Baskingspot 100-110°
Warms side about 90°
Cool side about 80°
Non-adhesive shelf liner substate
Reptisun 10.0 t8 24inch uvb inside the tank

Usually get collard greens, arugula, or water cress as staple greens

Gets peppers and carrot about once a week. They're the only veggies she will eat
And occasionally gets fruit like banana or raspberry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is possible the bulb could be bad --- the only way to tell is either buy a solarmeter which are very expensive or just go buy another bulb for $20 -- change it out --- make sure there is NO cover on the fixture covering the bulb if there is a plastic cover take it off-- also make sure the UVB is 8-10 inches from her basking decor piece in the tank ---- thank goodness she pooped before she got to the vet---- other wise I was afraid they would of done an enema and that could of turned out disastrous ---
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I'm so glad she did poop before we got to the vets. I was really worried they would have to do an enema if she didnt.

There is no over on her uvb and it's only about 6 inches from the top of her rock but not directly over it. He rock is in the back corner and her ovb is positioned upfront.

The reason I was thinking the build might be bad is because the first one we bought in January was bad had was exchanged out by the store.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath it - so I would raise it up about 2" or so and get a piece of decor underneath it --- if her behavior changed when out in the sunlight I am thinking position of the decor piece needs to be changed first along w/ distance then see if anything happens the bulb may not be bad but the positioning is off -- try that first
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
Her tank has been set up the same way since last August and this is the first time this problem has occurred. We've had her for over a year and have had no problem like this since we've got her.

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
Also the bet just said that we need to soak her 2 times a week for to absorb water through her vent. All of my research has shown that the do not absorb water through there vents and that the belief that they do is very outdated. Do you know which is correct? We give her water through a syringe a few times a week so hydration shouldn't be a problem her fat pads look really good.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It usually takes awhile for effects of UVB to appear---- people have been using the coils for a UVB for 6 months - a year when all of a sudden they start having issues and sometimes its too late --- so you can try what I recommend or leave it the way it is and if she continues to have issues then rearrange and see if it makes a difference --- it is up to you-- I can only suggest what I know works - you are correct they do not absorb water thru the vent --- baths are usually given if the dragon will drink for the bath water - if she is eating her veggies wash/ rinse them before serving she will get alot of moisture thru them also make sure her insects are good and gutloaded -- I feed my dubia roaches dubia food and carrots for hydration - I do not feed my dragons carrots too much Vit A- so feeding the roaches at nite and in the morning they are good and hydrated --- giving water by syringe is good too - or if she will lick the water off her nose when you drop water on it as well - but the bath absorbing thru the vent umm no
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
The vet gave us meds for coccidia. 0.2cc everyday for 10 days. They only gave us 4 syringes for the liquid tho. The syringes say not to reuse do you know where I can get more?

They also want us to treat for pinworms even tho they said she doesn't have the pinworms just coccidia. To treat for pinworms to because the coccidia outbreak can. Cause her pinworm count to rise aswell.

If treating for the parisites does not change her behavior I will definitely take your advice on the uvb fixture.
Thanks so much for your help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":18e07s7x said:
It is possible the bulb could be bad --- the only way to tell is either buy a solarmeter which are very expensive or just go buy another bulb for $20 -- change it out --- make sure there is NO cover on the fixture covering the bulb if there is a plastic cover take it off-- also make sure the UVB is 8-10 inches from her basking decor piece in the tank ---- thank goodness she pooped before she got to the vet---- other wise I was afraid they would of done an enema and that could of turned out disastrous ---
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
Karrie

The OP said it was a T8 10% tube .
A guide
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

No reflector case , UV A & B grossly inadequate unless within 4 inches of basking spot.
With reflector , Needs to be about 6-8 inches from the basking spot.
… both if no mesh in way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
From the vets office maybe a farm and home supply- take out the substrate if it's carpet- use paper towels it's gonna be easier to get rid of the parasites- you need to throughly clean every time she poops I would get some Wipeout or F 10 you will need to order it off eBay-- it's a vet disinfectant- in order to get rid of the parasites so they don't come back
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":2w6k79t1 said:
From the vets office maybe a farm and home supply- take out the substrate if it's carpet- use paper towels it's gonna be easier to get rid of the parasites- you need to throughly clean every time she poops I would get some Wipeout or F 10 you will need to order it off eBay-- it's a vet disinfectant- in order to get rid of the parasites so they don't come back
Karrie
Anything porous in the tank needs to be tossed out, you'll never get rid of the parasite eggs and spores and in it.

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I found the syringes at tractor supply.

She's on non adhesive shelf liner as substate. I use a steam cleaner to disinfect all of her stuff when she had pinworms last year. I also have wipe out but I've read that the steamer should be sufficient in killing the coccidia as well. Should I still switch her to paper towels is is can effectively disinfect the shelf liner mat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your using the shelf liner and steam cleaner that will kill the parasites I am thinking --- the WipeOut might be easier to use than constantly cleaning w/ the steam cleaner -- maybe do that once a week and the Wipe Out w/ every day poops etc.............. what ever shes pooping on ---
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
My husband is the one who talked to the vet and said that the vet said there were no coccidia eggs in the fecal however they were concerned about the onset of and infection and that's why we were told to treat.
I usually steam everything once a week and steam and wash whatever she poops on as soon I notice she's pooped

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have copies of the blood work and fecal - I would post those for Tracie to see she is our vet mod and can give you a second opinion- I would not treat for something she doesn't have- not something that is onset - the infection yes if she has one-- your uvb is what is going to help her fight parasites off-- along w/ the good basking temps- but if you have those copies I would post them
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom