kittens + Beardie = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fostering some kittens from the SPCA, and I have them in my study with my Beardie tank because it's the warmest room in the apartment; heat lamps and heat pads for the lizard tank, heat pads for the roach tank, my computer, etc. As a result, this room is usually at least 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the apartment. Sunny made faces and gaped at the kittens the whole first day, and on the second morning I saw that she had crawled under the newspaper on the bottom of her tank to hide, and she ended up hiding there for 2 whole days. She didn't even come out for feeding time!

I left her alone for a while because I wanted to give her a chance to come out on her own, but I finally pulled her out from under the newspaper this morning and taped sheets of newspaper around the walls of her terrarium so she couldn't see the kittens. I've heard of other Beardie owners having no problems with their Beardies being afraid of cats, so maybe Sunny will be fine in a while once she realizes that the kittens can't get into her cage (yes, her cage is securely covered).

Any suggestions from cat+Beardie owners?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
once she is settled in, she will be fine... Excellent idea about that paper. I did that with one of mine, and it made all the difference. Now he is the largest, longest and heaviest ;)
Janie.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I had 2 BDs I put a piece of cardboard between their cages, to keep Draco from making eyes at Sunny all day. Otherwise, Sunny would spend all day waving back to the cute guy next door instead of basking or eating.

Do you think that the Sunny just needs more time, or is there anything else I can do? I'm sure she can smell the kittens, but I've had cats for a while whose hair she can smell on me any time I handle her, and that hasn't seemed to be a problem in the past. I just want to do everything I can to keep her from being too stressed out.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lol! Thanks! I try not to stress out too much, I just want to make sure I take care of the animals in my care to the best of my ability. I've read so many sad stories of people's pets getting hurt because the humans didn't know what they were doing (I actually have some of those myself, unfortunately), that I want to make every effort to do things properly. Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom