Kinked tail after having eggs

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my Amber is developing a slight kink in her tail that wasn't their after her first clutch of eggs. I'm sure it happens especially after producing eggs with the calcium loss and all I just don't want it to get worse.

I would say this seemed present after her 2nd clutch but not really noticable and now since she just had her 3rd clutch it sticks out. I'm guessing I just need to continue her feeding schedule with loads of vitamins and calcium since it's incurable? Is this a common thing or did I do something wrong.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It can actually come and go. Zen has had one most of his life, sometimes it's so slight i have to look for it, other times it's noticeable. Good calcium and good uvb might correct it. (And I'm 10000000% sure you are on top of it lol 😉)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It can actually come and go. Zen has had one most of his life, sometimes it's so slight i have to look for it, other times it's noticeable. Good calcium and good uvb might correct it. (And I'm 10000000% sure you are on top of it lol 😉)
Amber had a injury before I got her she was around 6" I'm guessing it was cohabitation. Which is why her tail is slightly stubbed and the kink as you said just seems noticable if you look hard enough.

From what I'm told Chubbs crooked kinked tail and lower jaw was from her previous owner (MBD) but hasn't gotten any worse every time I see the vet. I gotta be doing something right 😆 I just wanna make sure it's a common thing and not something I did specifically.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Half or more of the beardies I've had, had slight kinks so I'd say it's pretty common/normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is a pretty common issue it seems! Especially after egg laying, it can be quite draining on them
but just be meticulous with calcium intake for awhile or switch to a liquid calcium for the time during
egg laying, etc to help her out.
It sounds like you are definitely on top of things though! Which UVB light are you using?

Tracie

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello,

This is a pretty common issue it seems! Especially after egg laying, it can be quite draining on them
but just be meticulous with calcium intake for awhile or switch to a liquid calcium for the time during
egg laying, etc to help her out.
It sounds like you are definitely on top of things though! Which UVB light are you using?

Tracie
Arcadia T5's 12% desert tubes and I never thought of liquid calcium I wonder if I could give it to her by putting it on top of her greens.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Half or more of the beardies I've had, had slight kinks so I'd say it's pretty common/normal.
She (Amber) has just the tiniest kink that you can't see or feel unless you know it's there.

I'm grateful it wasn't there when I got her but it does hurt knowing she developed it due to her laying eggs even though it's not my fault 😞.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
On the liquid calcium taste it yourself before trying to give it to your girls. I've gotten some that taste horrible and my guys refused it, other had very little to no taste and they took it just fine. I've seen bottles of the same brand be way different as well.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
On the liquid calcium taste it yourself before trying to give it to your girls. I've gotten some that taste horrible and my guys refused it, other had very little to no taste and they took it just fine. I've seen bottles of the same brand be way different as well.
I heard of testing water so you know it's not too hot or too cold but never thought of testing liquid calcium lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It only occurred to me when i was offering water that had it in it one day and all 5 of my dragons vehemently refused it and actually tried to back away. I was scratching my head because they had never acted that way, so i knew there was a common denominator and it had to be the calcium so on a whim i tasted it and it was rancid. I've come across maybe 2 more bottles like that since then.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It only occurred to me when i was offering water that had it in it one day and all 5 of my dragons vehemently refused it and actually tried to back away. I was scratching my head because they had never acted that way, so i knew there was a common denominator and it had to be the calcium so on a whim i tasted it and it was rancid. I've come across maybe 2 more bottles like that since then.
Is there a specific brand? I remember getting some but never used it it did have a dragon or a gecko one of the two on the box though. Perhaps it'd be a good thing after Amber has laid a clutch or even during the winter when they are brumating and are rarely under their lights.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think anything marketed as reptile is probably ok. You can always compare the ingredients for percentages but i haven't really bothered to personally.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I think anything marketed as reptile is probably ok. You can always compare the ingredients for percentages but i haven't really bothered to personally.
Not wanting to try the taste test but they are my beardies and I want the best for them even if it means tasting food/supplements 🤣

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I only tried it because all five absolutely refused to drink and that's really out of character for three of them. I knew it had to be the calcium so I tasted it.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom