Kidney disease, or kidney failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Hello

I have a 3 year old female rescue who stopped eating so we took her to the vet. Her blood work came back and I can’t read it. Can someone read this and let me know what it means. Is she in kidney failure? He said 6 months at best.

atadenovirus --negative
CANV--negative

Blood work shows increased Uric Acid--7.3(1.8-4.4) and increase in phosphorus12.5(3-8.5) and the calcium phosphorus---14.3/12.5 This ratio should be a 2 to 1 ratio(ie 14/7 or 12/6 or..) this is a 1/1 ratio

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello

I have a 3 year old female rescue who stopped eating so we took her to the vet. Her blood work came back and I can’t read it. Can someone read this and let me know what it means. Is she in kidney failure? He said 6 months at best.

atadenovirus --negative
CANV--negative

Blood work shows increased Uric Acid--7.3(1.8-4.4) and increase in phosphorus12.5(3-8.5) and the calcium phosphorus---14.3/12.5 This ratio should be a 2 to 1 ratio(ie 14/7 or 12/6 or..) this is a 1/1 ratio
@Drache613
She is our vet tech --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have a copy of the blood work?
The uric acid at 7.3mg/dl is not renal failure. Is that what the vet mentioned? The calcium levels
are 14.3 & the phosporus levels are 12.5?
Is your female just lethargic or what other types of problems is she having?

Tracie

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Hello,

The uric acid at 7.3mg/dl is not renal failure. Is that what the vet mentioned? The calcium levels

Tracie
She is up and aware. Will walk around the house. Still loves to lay in the sun on the porch. She isn’t eating as much as she used to. Maybe one bug every few days and not interested in veggies. I have been giving her critical care because she isn’t eating well. When we first started she wouldn’t fight me but now she fights like the devil. I have attached the report the vet gave me.
A66C842C-9596-492F-B623-1D706DB8CEE1.jpg
D299343E-9D5E-4E8D-A3B4-8A21F64B7252.jpg
D33B6E3F-F844-4514-A94F-660E9A15F407.jpg

SPandS

Juvie Member
Was this a reptile vet? Did they give you the rest of the blood work results? If not I would ask for them and post them on here. I want to be clear I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff but I feel like they may be jumping to diagnose. I would definitely wait to see what Tracy has to say but I'm sure she'll want to see the full blood work report.

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Was this a reptile vet? Did they give you the rest of the blood work results? If not I would ask for them and post them on here. I want to be clear I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff but I feel like they may be jumping to diagnose. I would definitely wait to see what Tracy has to say but I'm sure she'll want to see the full blood work report.
Yes he is a reptile vet. This is the only information he gave me. He did ask me yesterday to bring in a fecal sample so he can test that as well.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Maybe I'm reading things wrong but in the part that says "how to figure out cause", it mentions signs of infection are high wbc, rbc and casts but none are listed and I'm not sure what casts are but I would think the blood work would should the wbc and rbc counts. So maybe he sees something in those numbers that aren't shown. But I don't think there's enough info shown to diagnose anything and the rest of the blood word results are needed.

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Maybe I'm reading things wrong but in the part that says "how to figure out cause", it mentions signs of infection are high wbc, rbc and casts but none are listed and I'm not sure what casts are but I would think the blood work would should the wbc and rbc counts. So maybe he sees something in those numbers that aren't shown. But I don't think there's enough info shown to diagnose anything and the rest of the blood word results are needed.
That is great information. I will call and ask if I can get the full report on the blood work. Thank you.

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Hello,

Tracie

Attachments

• CCF_000230.pdf
    801 KB · Views: 126

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the entire test here. It doesn't appear he has an infection but they can
mask that well. The calcium to phosphorus ratio is definitely off. Which calcium supplement
are you using right now?
It looks like though, his AST levels are high, which is the liver enzyme readings. Did the vet
mention any concerns about liver problems?
The uric acid levels can sometimes elevate due to dehydration or another problem going on
internally but not necessarily depict gout.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Hello,

Thanks for posting the entire test here. It doesn't appear he has an infection but they can
mask that well. The calcium to phosphorus ratio is definitely off. Which calcium supplement
are you using right now?
It looks like though, his AST levels are high, which is the liver enzyme readings. Did the vet
mention any concerns about liver problems?
The uric acid levels can sometimes elevate due to dehydration or another problem going on
internally but not necessarily depict gout.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
She seems better today. She ate greens yesterday so that’s an improvement. I wasn’t giving her any calcium supplements until after we saw the vet. I am now giving her flukes reputation calcium. She was eating lots of greens, hornworms, super worms, and roaches before she got sick. She was dehydrated at the vet but she has been drinking regularly for the past three weeks. He never said anything about her liver. The only thing that looks physical ring with her at this point is her legs are very shaky. She can still walk and move around but her limbs do shake.
Should I find another vet to get a second opinion?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you possibly can find another vet, it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion. Are you able
to get some milk thistle for her, in case her liver is having some problems right now?
Is her beard black or normal color?
That's great she finally ate some greens then, hopefully she will continue to improve daily.
Is her weight holding or has she lost any weight recently?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She seems better today. She ate greens yesterday so that’s an improvement. I wasn’t giving her any calcium supplements until after we saw the vet. I am now giving her flukes reputation calcium. She was eating lots of greens, hornworms, super worms, and roaches before she got sick. She was dehydrated at the vet but she has been drinking regularly for the past three weeks. He never said anything about her liver. The only thing that looks physical ring with her at this point is her legs are very shaky. She can still walk and move around but her limbs do shake.
Should I find another vet to get a second opinion?
www.arav.org
If your in a small town / area type in a bigger cities zip code close to you

Morthy19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Morty
Hello,

If you possibly can find another vet, it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion. Are you able
to get some milk thistle for her, in case her liver is having some problems right now?
Is her beard black or normal color?
That's great she finally ate some greens then, hopefully she will continue to improve daily.
Is her weight holding or has she lost any weight recently?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Her bread is normal color. She ate a few roaches so I ordered her favorite bug (horn worms) before the vet appointment she was 1.2 pounds today she is 1lb even. She was fighting me so much with the critical care that I pulled back on it a bit. But I will start again to keep her weight up until she starts eat more regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom