Keeps shutting one eye!!?!?!!? HELP!??!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
I have had Kovu since Easter and he is reaching head to tip of tail at 7 inches so im guessing he is 2 months old...

I do not use coil light bulbs and i use a 48" long tube 40 watt for UVB and a basking bulb of 150 watt and im not sure what brand because i am borrowing it from my grandparents until i get my own in the mail. i have a dimmer in the dome so i adjust the light to fit the perfect temp.

lights go on at 7 am and go out at 10 pm.
I give him baths at least 4 times a week sometimes he gets 2 baths if he is messy (like today with his baby food)
he can get within 9 inches of the UVB lights
His poo is completely normal and healthy looking urate.
he drinks very well as i have read some people have problems getting them to drink and he has had no problems at all i give him water in a dish and with a dropper to assure he doesn't get dehydrated.
he has reptile carpet as substrate.
He is housed alone as i only have one anyways
cool side is at 75 degrees
hot side is at 94 degrees with the basking site at 100-110 varying at the spot he moves the probe at lol

I just wanted to get those questions out of the way to answer any questions involving them. I have heard of using human eye drops and turtle eye drops so i was thinking about getting some turtle eye drops asap but idk when ill make it out of town to get some so what do you suggest and Should i worry much about this or is it not that serious? they isn't anything coming out of his eye and he opens it but ive noticed that he'll keep it slightly closed on his left side.. he also will open it and then close the other for a second then open that one and close his left eye again for 10 more seconds before repeating... he sleeps fine and also can go a while with both eyes being wide and alert but this has happened for more than just today.. at first i didn't think it was much to be concerned about but now im getting paranoid if he has something in his eye or something! i just want what is best for my baby and i feel like the new mother that calls the doctor for every little hiccup or sneeze but its better to be safe than sorry right? :?

NikTait

Hatchling Member
Do you know the brand of your UVB bulb? 9/10 times this is a typical symptom of a poor UVB bulb.
If it's not ReptiSun or Arcadia, then I would definitely switch it to one of these.
I had a ReptiGlo tube in for my rescue beardie, and within 3-4 days he was shutting one eye and eventually would not open either eye. I realised my mistake as soon as I saw him having both eyes shut all day, and switched to an Arcadia. Within 2 days he was bright eyed and active, and a very happy beardie.

The rest of your husbandry looks really good. Although ideally, the beardie should be able to get a couple of inches closer to the UVB - once you're sure the UVB is good quality. :)

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
The human eye drops are 5percent saline I had the pharmacist help me find them. They are not the ones for contact lenses.

NikTait

Hatchling Member
Hmm... yeah that's not one i've heard of. So the good news is, I've not heard anything bad about it. But the bad news is, I've not heard anything good either. When does your own UVB arrive? What brand is that one?

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
NikTait":10gzxngm said:
When does your own UVB arrive? What brand is that one?

This is my UVB... its the basking bulb that im borrowing... ill be getting my own real soon though..any suggestions? i don't need the duo including UVB since i have these... but i do need to get one that works well and wont be too cold as the 50 watt i had to return wasn't heating it to even close the right temp... :angry5: so i returned it and i have been using my grandparents until i find my own... and i will be getting a CHE as well for nights

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i got turtle eye drops today and put one drop in each eye.. i will do this every other day.. he was really good about it too and didn't even have any stress marks showing through... i'll make a mental note to always do his drops just as he is waking up. lol! HE IS SUCH A GOOD LITTLE BOY!!!!!!!! :D

Jtara

Id switch out the UVB bulb and get a reptisun 10.

Like someone mentioned, most UVB bulbs are not recommended for beardies. There are 2 that are good, reptisun 10 and the Arcadia. Get one of those.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wellllll the problem with changing it is that i bought a value pack of 3 of them for $30 and i owe like over a hundred dollars on supplies and i can't just go buy another UVB without getting in a fight about money.. :banghead: are you sure it is dangerous? i haven't found anything on this brand saying it is not good for beardies..

scipherneo

From my research it doesn't look dangerous to the beardie, it actually looks like it has a lower percentage UVB than the Arcadia. It looks like it might not give ENOUGH UVB if anything. I don't believe this would cause him to do that thing with his eyes, but do some more research into it. Can you return the 3 pack of bulbs?

Also, please go into more detail about the eye closing. If he just does it sometimes, it's a non-issue. My beardie closes his eyes sometimes when he basks, and then if i bother him he'll just open one and keep the other one closed. Or if I get something too close to his face he'll just close the one eye, beardie's close one eye all the time. How does he look when he does it? Does he look like he's squinting when he does it? Also, take him out of his cage for a little bit. Does he still do it then? Try your best to eliminate factors and figure out what's causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom