Keeping hot lights as safe as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a little baby bearded dragon for about a week and it got sick pretty fast. I tried everything I could to get him better during the final few hours when he was getting worse and worse. As I was trying to deal with the inside of the tank, I slid the screen top back afew inches to offer the dragon food, water, etc, and to get him under the light. During that time, the lamp ended up being directly over the edge of the brand new tank. This caused the plastic to melt and deform and the glue in the corner to very quickly start melting down. The light was too hot for me to hold, which is why I left in on the screen top while it was slightly open. When I replaced the screen top to its original "closed" position, it seemed to stop the melting completely.

The little bearded dragon did not make it, despite all my efforts. This was my boyfriend's beardie, so I did not know all the research as he did, but I did do everything I could that a vet and petsmart staff suggested over the phone and some things I had read might help. The petstore which has a 14 day guarantee, said we could go ahead and bury him and get another one when we were ready. We are doing some more research before we go back, although they did tell us we cannot wait too long. I especially am trying to learn more in case I am again in the situation where I need to help and I am the only one available.

I called the other petstore where the tank was purchased just the day this happened to see about a return but they said it was user error as this was an aquarium not a terrarium. Although, they have the aquariums and the screentops for sale, which we bought together, so I'm thinking this is a setup many people go ahead and do? Perhaps with a higher quality fishtank?

Sorry to ramble! My main questions are, is this fishtank now safe to use as long as the light stays centered on the screentop and it does not melt any more? What can I do to reduce the risk of fire or safety hazards for such hot lights? Seeing how quick it melted the tank, made me realize just how hot these lights get. It is a 100 watt UVB white bulb in a large dome light with no clamp. The 75 watt would barely get the basking spot to 98 or so, so I think this is the wattage we will need.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd feel safer about leaving the lights on all day, as I know that's essential. I have purchased a "fire-reduction" outlet cord but I'm wondering about the light/tank itself. Also, if there are any recommendations for when we get the new little guy, I'm happy to listen to that too!!

Thanks in advance!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
I'm going to post, and bump this up. It's an excellent question.

I'm so sorry for your lost beardie. :(

We recently bought a 40 gallon enclosure off of Craigslist, and from the look of it, some melting occured, and from what you're saying here, I think I can see now how it happened. I cleaned the tank within an inch of it's life however, and I feel good about using it, so long as I don't allow any further melt to happen myself. We use a small starter tank right now, and have had no issues with melt, but we are vigilant about closing the lid after dropping in crickets or worms or other food, cleaning up a bit, etc. If we're cleaning the tank, we shut everything down, place the bulbs, in their domes, on their sides, on hot pads, and replace when all is cleaned up. We rarely leave the enclosure open for more than a minute, usually less, and if we have to have it open for more than that, I turn off the bulb, use a hot pad to remove it... etc.

I would love to see what others have to say about this. We're switching up to a 100w MVB later this week, and I know they get really hot. I'm super safety obsessed so I would love to have some suggestions, and reassurance as well! Hope someone more experienced than myself chimes in. Anyone?

The best to you!

Em

Pamela

Hatchling Member
I have Teakas mvb on a stand and it is a 100 watt one to. Iam not sure how i will hang it when she goes into her new setup. The stand works real well if i have to ajust the temp i move it up or down depending on what the temp needs to be.
Pamela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom