Keeping greens fresh and pellet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzylady

Hatchling Member
My schedule doesn't really allow me to get to the supermarket more than once a week. This works fine for my human family, but it's been a pita trying to get greens that last that long for the beardie. I have shredded squash in the freezer so that's not a problem, but fresh greens always go bad before I have time to make another trip - especially collard greens. Those suckers stink up my whole fridge within a few days. Any tips on how I can supply fresh greens with fewer trips to the grocery store?

Also - my guy seems to really like the pellets. Is it ok to just give him a bowl of those in between grocery trips? He's 6 months/14 inches.

nursejones813

Juvie Member
I too can only go to the grocery store once a week. I usually get mustard greens. (They're cheep and he likes them best) I rinse them and put them in a big Tupperware container lined on the bottom with paper towels to absorb the moisture. They will usually last the whole week for me. Maybe try to keep them in the coldest spot in your refrigerator. That may extend their life as well. Collard greens are a bit harder to keep fresh. :banghead: But, your squash can always be a staple. As far as the pellets go, maybe someone else will chime in. Because Slick wont even try them.

Sheena

Yeah alot of beardies won't bother with pellets I know roo doesn't they have no appealing colour and they don't move so he doesn't like em.

but if yours does then awesome

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
We buy fresh greens only once a week as well. My boy favors the dandelion greens and we keep them in a Tupperware after rinsing and also placing a layer of paper towels on the bottom. They keep well for the week in the crisper and never smell...as for the pellets...those were a "no go" from day one for us. Never showed any interest, plus they smell funky (to me anyway). Nothing beats live feeders and fresh veggies anyway ;) Though, of course if YOUR boy enjoys the pellets I don't see a huge issue for in between :)

Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Sheena

I have dandelions growing all over the back and front yards, which is okay cause mum doesn't spray with chemicals and fertilizers so they are safe. I just give em a good wash before feeding.

He loves them :p

Fizzylady

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sheena":3die3vhe said:
I have dandelions growing all over the back and front yards, which is okay cause mum doesn't spray with chemicals and fertilizers so they are safe. I just give em a good wash before feeding.

That's perfect! I actually have some dandelion seeds that I was going to try to plant inside over the winter.

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Fizzylady":vu7wqumf said:
Sheena":vu7wqumf said:

That's perfect! I actually have some dandelion seeds that I was going to try to plant inside over the winter.

Just be certain they are dandelions. There are other weeds that have similar leaves. I have a lot of those growing next to dandelions in my garden. I can only tell them apart from the flower which also looks very similar.

fusebaum

For collard greens we get a tall tupperware, and put a thin layer of greens, then paper towel, greens, paper towel, and so on and they stay really crisp for us for the whole week.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
I know I'm kind of late to the party here, but I wanted to mention that my beardies (mine and my girlfriend's) love the pellets. Sure they shouldn't be used as their sole diet, but they can be used with another staple. They have a guaranteed analysis, which to me, ensures that they get certain percentages of nutrition. The pellets teamed with greens and live feeders makes for a good balanced breakfast!

Malon3r

Hatchling Member
I don't know if I'm just lucky in this case, but the last bunch of collards I had lasted 2 weeks in the fridge, just in its bad, no ziplock, container or paper towel. I know everyone here will claim the not fresh, but they had 0 smell, weren't wilted/browning and were still the same green as when I got them. So I don't know, I assumed they were still good.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Malon3r":t1znyi2k said:
I don't know if I'm just lucky in this case, but the last bunch of collards I had lasted 2 weeks in the fridge, just in its bad, no ziplock, container or paper towel. I know everyone here will claim the not fresh, but they had 0 smell, weren't wilted/browning and were still the same green as when I got them. So I don't know, I assumed they were still good.

I bought a few leaves at a farmers market that lasted almost 3 weeks. Only used them for 2 but they were fine during week 3. I do live in the winter vegetable capital of the world though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom