Kang's an explorer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 4yo beardie has a habit of bolting when hes out on his tank. Hes not squirming to try and get away or anything. One second he will be chilling and the next hes trying to figure out how to jump off the chair so he can run around. So my question is, what do I need to do to make a safe place for him to explore and should I get him a harness/leash to run around the yard? Supervised of course.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
'beardie proof' your home where you want him to run around inside.

i close all closets and block off the stairs. i let my beardies explore a limited amount of space before i got comfortable enough to just let them run around. Tasty Treat loves it and will run from room to room. when she gets quiet i have to look for her (cause she's probably sleeping). i live in a smaller apartment so there aren't many places for them to hide.

Mr Dargon loves loves loves going outside. but he is also a runner so he has a harness. he loves to explore and sunbathe, and he is getting used to me walking next to him with the leash. when i had my own yard the leash (shoelace) was a lot longer and i could just sit there and watch him run around, now i take him to a common area and won't let him get to far from me.

has your beardie ever been outside?

KangAndKodos

Original Poster
Yes hes been outside. We use a "saucer" used for snow sledding as a pool. Its nice and shallow and we usually put it outside on nice days so they can bask in the sun for a bit. We have to keep an eye on Kang as he can just climb over the side, but Kodos is still too small to get out. They both love basking in their pool.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
that's good. just wanted to check.
most people don't realize you have to get them used to outside. some beardies love it almost immediately, others freak out.

when using a harness, they will probably fight you when you first try to put it on.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
KangAndKodos":15y2a9c1 said:
Pssh! I can make something like those in 2 minutes.
Psh. It don't take me 2 minutes to make my dragon tamers.

But you can cut holes in a microfiber clothe and tie a shoelace through it

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
i wish skittles would explore lol, either i need to introduce him to my house more or he really just doesnt like to do much outside his tank. the only time when he was pretty active was when i let him run around the bathroom floor when he was just a few months old, but i later stopped that since the tiles were probably too cold for his little belly to be flopped on.

jstans84

My beardie loves to explore my room and anywhere inside. He is so far pretty apathetic towards the outside. I live in an apartment so I haven't really let him down to run and explore, mostly because I know they spray pesticides. So I'll just walk out on my balcony with him on my shoulder. He'll perk up for a bit look around to see what's up, then just lay back down and not care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom