Juvie Beardie Doesn't Like Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamataKun

Hi!

My lil beardie is 3 months old. He gets fed three times a day. He eats all of his salad in the morning (he still has a little blackberry stain under his chin from breakfast lol!), and eats all his BSFs during lunch. But Dubia Dinner is not as big of a success. He pounces on them as eagerly as he does the BSFs when I put them in the bowl, but he tends to eat only a few before ignoring the rest. Some days though, he does eat all the dubias, but it's clear he doesn't prefer them compared to his BSFs.

Coming from the blue-tongue skink community, there's a saying of "A picky skink is not a hungry skink" and I wonder if it applies here. When he doesn't eat his dubias, he has to go without until the next morning. I think this really encourages him to eat his salad, but I do worry that he's not eating his bugs as much as he should because of the dubias. I tried feeding them as lunch instead, but again, he always leaves leftovers. I feel I should hold firm on the dubia roaches though, rather than letting the beardie dictate what he eats and become picky as an adult.

Should I cut BSFs from his diet entirely until he gives in and eats all his dubias? I know you do this to get picky adults to eat their salad, but I don't know if it's a good idea to have that battle of wills with a baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep feeding the dubias if hes eating them its possible they are filling him up --- they are more filling compared to the BSFL your feeding - its good hes got a variety going-- and hes eating salads thats great-- make sure your dusting the dubias w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding and Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding --- he should be growing and gaining weight -- my guess is hes getting enough hes just filling up but you can keep track of his weight w/ a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom