juvenile brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an juvenile bearded dragon, about 8 months...he has significantly slowed down right with onset of winter (we live in ny) and otherwise seems fine(active when taken out of cage, etc) i am running a fecal though i had one done when we got him/her (can you tell yet?) and he had pins and coccidia which i treated him for..just wondering if a juvenile beardie will bruminate or if it is unheard of? please help as we are worried that he is not eating..he is doing all signs of brumating, sleeping a lot and sleeping on cool side of tank all the time thanks for your help!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you think you could answer these questions for us so we can rule things out before deciding that it's brumation? It would help a lot, thanks.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

hurricanekessler

Original Poster
we got our dragon early september. he/she is about 10 inches long. we feed him/her butterworms and pheonix worms and have introduced leafy greens. he has a basking area at about 110 degrees with a 120 watt reptile trex bulb and a cooler area at 85 degress with a tunnel for shade. the uvb bulb is a 30 watt zilla bulb. i tried to sex him but was unable to see any thing yet (i know to look for 2 raised areas on inguinal side for male and one in middle for female but if you have anyother tips let me know. he is bright and alert aside from being quieter at times and seeking cool side of tank and not eating as much. i took him to vet in early october and he was 28 grams and last week i took him back b/c of this question i had about whether he was brumating or sick and he was 60 grams, which was great but she thought he seemed a little thin. he had a bowel movement the other day and i ran a fecal and it was negative. i have also been supplementing with calcium since he decreased eating.. he was eating like a champ before dec1 and i took him to my sons school which i probable shouldn;t have (just for one hour) but i think maybe that is what triggered his brumating behavior? what do you think and thanks so much for getting back to me so quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom