Just set up a cricket-breeding bin, quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
I set up a breeding bin because I have crickets(bought 50 large ones the other day from the petstore for my geckos) and I was bored. XD

So after reading on one site what I'm supposed to do, I put all my crix from my large kritter keeper to a rubbermaid bin(big blue one), put in their dish of gel water, some flukers cricket food, cat food, kale, and a carrot, and put in a shallow tupperware dish with organic dirt I got from Lowes.

I also hung my red heat lamp over the tub and attached my dimmer to it, and now the temps are about 78-84 F, depending on the level I check the temp.

Already I've seen 3 females laying eggs in the dirt! How soon do I need to move the dirt egg dish to a new tub for the babies to hatch, so the adults don't eat them? And how long does it take for eggs to hatch?

I'm thinking I might just leave the dish in there all night tonight and tomorrow and move it after I get home from school.

I can put the babies in a glass 10 gal w/ my extra 3x5" zoo med heat pad on the bottom. Then maybe I'll move my red heat lamp to the top of the rack, take my dimmer off of it(as long as it doesn't get over 90*F I think the crickets will be fine?) and attach the dimmer to the heat pad. XD

I just planned this all out as I wrote this.
I got some neat new metal shelving in my room that made my reptile collection look really proffesional and it's very efficient too. Lots of places to put cages for Scout, my python, my current crested geckos, supplies, baby gecko cages, ect, everything reptile related. XD

But anyway, I suppose my main question was how long does it take for baby crickets to hatch and when should I move the dirt dish to a new cage, considering I've already seen 3 females laying eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom