Just rescued a beardie and need help asap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelphos

Hi guys, I just rescued a beardie that was very neglected. Wrong UVB that was 2+ years old and a little heat lamp that put off no heat at all. Cage was covered in feces and so was she, she is so skinny and they had her in with a big male that hurt her bad. the back skin on her head along with her spikes were ripped off she also has some spikes missing on her beard. She had mites in her eyelids really bad also which i luckily got out. Ive never dealt with a special case like this thats why im really asking for help asap.

She acts very tired all the time, she always is closing her eyes and keeps them closed for awhile, she actually acts like her eyes are sore which is probably from all the mites.she's not wanting to eat and I believe she has metabolic bone disease starting in her tail. I would like to know how to heal her sores, and get her back to good health any tips are greatly appreciated!!

ive been putting her in the sun almost everyday for atleast an hour so she can soak up the uvb which she desperately needs but I do have a reptisun 10.0 that I bought for her a month ago because thats when I got her. she has the halogen flood lights a 60 on her basking and a 50 mini flood on the other side for the cool spot she does get warm, shes pooped everyday since ive had her and sometimes will eat and sometimes won't.
Any help is great

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow poor girl. That is too bad she was so neglected. :cry:
How long have you had her for now?
Are her eyes swollen at all or not?
For her eyes, you could get some sterile saline solution to help soothe them. For any wound on or around her eyes you can get some unpasteurized honey & mix it with some water to thin it out some & apply it to those areas. It is also good for other skin issues, too in the other areas where the skin is torn or injured.
Are you using calcium daily for her? If she is starting to develop metabolic bone disease, I would start her on liquid calcium to help out with absorption rates.
How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb to her & is there any screen or plastic in between her & the light?
Does she excrete a good amount of urates also? I would monitor those to be sure her kidneys are functioning properly too. How much does she eat?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

zelphos

Original Poster
I know, I am so worried about her :(
I have had her for 3 weeks.
They aren't swollen shut she just acts tired and shes actually been keeping them shut since I got the mites out of her eyes, I'm thinking maybe they are just sore? OK great I will do that today. Yes she gets calcium on everything plus i use the repcal multivitamin also. Ive actually been making her "shakes" blended up superworms, crickets, some fruits and collared greens to help her eat and get an appetite back, I've been feeding her with a syringe and she does really well. I've also gave atleast 2 baths a day, she is very dehydrated, if you easily pinch the back of her skin it stays in the spot and doesn't go back, she also always drinks her bath water to and her skin is wrinkly so maybe thats another reason shes not feeling well? Reptisun is 7 inches away, no screen or anything its a long 36 inch one, Ive actually had her in my other beardies tank and i keep him out until her tank is finished being built but he goes outside a lot or sits in the window where the sun beats through but still gets his tank time. He thrives in his cage and is in very good health so I trust that the setup is properly done ^_^ yes she poops just fine. Just very weak and tired with sore eyes :(

Here is a picture of her the first day I got her.
2ir66fd.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
Were you able to find any honey to use on her eyes?
That is great she has been in your other one's tank. He is doing ok, sharing with her then, intermittently? At least he loves going outside.
I am glad she is eating her slurries well also. Continue with the slurries & extra fluids to help her out. It can take awhile for them to fully rehydrate too if they are in that state.
The set up sounds good, with the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for her.
What are you keeping her temperatures at?

Keep us posted on her, I hope she continues to improve daily.

Tracie

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
The picture of your new baby really was shocking.. I can't believe someone would do that to a living creature, that beardie is thin... so glad you're able to help her out.. TY!!!!!! I know she thanks you too..

zelphos

Original Poster
Still keeping her eyes closed. yes we have been treating her sores, they are healing. I took her to the vet today...fractured arm and leg, severely dehydrated and the vet said loads of parasites...poor thing...he gave us medicine and basically to just keep feeding her and giving her drinks through a syringe, giving her tons of baths to soak for awhile and lots of rest, I feel so sorry for her :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for taking such good care of her. Please keep us updated on her progress. Best wishes to both of you.

zelphos

Original Poster
It's no problem, I've actually had people call me cynical today for spending so much money on a lizard, in the 3 weeks I've had her, I've spent atleast $500, the vet was close to $200 but I don't look at it that way, money is easy to replace, you can't replace a life, my animals are my family and I'd do anything in the world for them, blows my mind there's people out there that treat them as if there nothing. I bought her a little cat bed and blanket, shes sleeping so good right now :)
I definitely appreciate your feedback and will post a picture of her in a week which will be my first month having her so you can see any progress shes made just from a month of being in a good loving home :)

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
zelphos":301cdsjb said:
It's no problem, I've actually had people call me cynical today for spending so much money on a lizard, in the 3 weeks I've had her, I've spent atleast $500, the vet was close to $200 but I don't look at it that way, money is easy to replace, you can't replace a life, my animals are my family and I'd do anything in the world for them, blows my mind there's people out there that treat them as if there nothing. I bought her a little cat bed and blanket, shes sleeping so good right now :)
I definitely appreciate your feedback and will post a picture of her in a week which will be my first month having her so you can see any progress shes made just from a month of being in a good loving home :)

This made me tear up. That is the truest thing I've heard in a while! "Money is easy to replace, you can't replace a life"

Thank you so much for doing what you're doing. She is so lucky to have you. I can't wait to read more about her improvement with you. Best of luck!!!! :love5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she had fractures?? I am sure it is from neglect which caused metabolic bone disease.
People are so cruel. :cry: At least she has a great home now & she should be able to recover as soon as her body gets out of shock. I am glad to hear she is sleeping well too.
Keep us posted on her, you are so kind to take her in, she must be so thankful.

Tracie

zelphos

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your concerns :) shes definitely in a much better place now! Yes she had fractures from the previous owners keeping her housed with a big male beardie, sadly they didn't care about her and just wanted her to keep getting pregnant so they could sell the babies, needless to say none of the eggs hatched or if they did the beardies didn't make it long and were sickly since she wasn't in the shape to even be bred.
Tracie I ordered about 3-4 things on your website for her :) I do have one question, what is a good way to get her to poop, she gets long baths everyday but ever since shes got that deworming medicine she hasn't pooped and the vet said she was loaded with pinworms, she hasn't pooped since last tuesday also can't put her in heat or she has like seizures, she gets real hot and flips all over the place so we haven't had her under any heat lamps, just any heat and it has a negative effect on her, I even put bulbs in the cage that barely put off any heat at all and she had one, could it be because she is severely dehydrated and sick? cause shes fine any other time.
Here is a couple pictures from today of her, she's kept her eyes open all day!!!
16bfpjm.jpg

oh and apparently she crawled up to me like this when I was sleeping this morning and slept with me for about a half hour, I couldn't believe it :)
2uz9fsh.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is looking better, plus she looks happy, too. :D
Wow she crawled up to you, from where, was she sleeping in a tank nearby?

The baths should help with her going to the bathroom. You can add sugar free applesauce or canned pumpkin to help her system out, too. Is she digesting anything without being warm enough?
You can try a much lower temperature to try that out, or a heating pad also, can she tolerate that at all?
Being dehydrated can cause a lot of issues & not being able to tolerate higher temperatures also. Having that high of worm & parasite levels can affect their health severely.
I am glad to hear she is keeping her eyes open now, they must be feeling better, finally.

Let us know how she is progressing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom