Just ordered Dubias! Enclosure help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
I have 300 nymphs, 10 female adults, and 5 male adults coming in on Monday! I need to set up an enclosure for them.
I'm concerned about the heating pad aspect - I've never used on before, but the packaging says not to use with plastic. I want to keep the dubias in a plastic Rubbermaid? What's the best way to do it?

icelore

Juvie Member
It's fine to use a heating pad, assuming your container is made of thicker plastic. Try it on a low setting and use a temp gun/probe to see how warm the bottom is getting, then go from there. If it's too warm, you can put a towel between the two.

If the heating pad you are suing is new, it probably has an auto shut off feature that turns off after a certain about of time - make sure to check that out.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
What I use is a reptile UTH and a lamp dimmer from Home Depot or Lowes. I use a http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-54-gal-Roughneck-Hi-Top-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965 and 30 gallon Zoo Med UTH on lamp dimmer similar to http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Credenza-300-Watt-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Black-TT-300NLH-BL/100478442. For some reason Home Depot doesn't list it on their site but if you go in the store and ask where the lamp dimmers are, you will find it. Mostly just need one rated for the wattage you plan to use. I also use the same type of lamp dimmer for Harleys heat lamp as I run a 160 watt lamp and just adjust it as needed for the seasons. Then I just dial in the temps with a temp gun on the bottom of the breeder bin where the UTH is.

Oh also forgot to mention, you can obviously use a smaller bin. I use the large one since I have about 500 adult females. My feeder bin is a 37 gallon version of the one I listed above. But I will probably be upgrading that one as well since with it getting to be summer, the roaches are breeding and growing extra fast now.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
EEEEK I got them in! Not sure if I can do this!! :( :( They are monstrously huge!

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, did you get some of the monsterous 3 inch females ? I got a few of those in my breeder bin and they are freakishly huge :lol: Just think oversize potato bugs. Except the adult males who do look like roaches but you will get used to them.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Pushkin":qzws5nq7 said:
EEEEK I got them in! Not sure if I can do this!! :( :( They are monstrously huge!

:lol: That's what I'm worried about! I ordered another batch of miserable crickets today because I panicked about getting dubias.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
i always bought the little dubias.. and i got use to the idea of "roaches". So i did what you did and ordered a breeding colony.. I about lost my mind when i saw how big the adults where.. my boyfriend had to take over.
Everyone is right about summer.. the warm weather is making them reproduce like crazy and they are eating non-stop... im having to replenish the dry food and i dot have to take the old fresh food out becuase they are going trough it so quickly!!!
I have them in my reptile room so i havent needed a heater. I heard the Flukers UTH dont go over 100 degrees.. but i could be wrong.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Easiest trick for UTH is buy a lamp dimmer from Home Depot or Lowes or wherever. Then you can adjust it as needed so it doesn't run full power.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They seriously terrify me! Right now I have them in a dark gray rubbermaid, on my balcony :p no heating yet, but the container reaches about 98 degrees in peak afternoon heat, and around 75 at night. Thinking of just letting them be. Blah. I wish dragons were vegetarians!

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I use a big reptile heat pad underneath my plastic bin. The pad is glued on one of those metal grill for putting a hot pan on (2 for $1 at dollar store). You can sandwich the heat pad between the 2 grills then sit the bin on the whole thing. The heat pad doesn't touch the floor or the bin and there is room for ventilation.

If all is this still sounds scary to you, add a thermostat. I highly recommend the Hydrofarm one (around $30), which I also use for the ball pythons and leopard geckos.

If you are still scared, use a glass fish tank.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Pushkin":qctutyl5 said:
I wish dragons were vegetarians!

My thoughts exactly!

Ordered another 500 crickets and received them today (overnight FedEx) ... Last order was kinda big (the ones left are chirping every day and night!) so I went a size smaller ... They are TOO small! Ugh! It's going to take a bunch of them to fill up Smaug! Meanwhile, looks like I have a lot of dead ones.

I'm hoping you have an easy time with your dubias, because I need to switch!

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Pushkin ate some of the nymphs I got today, and seemed to like them! I like them too. It's the parents that scare the heck out of me. I'm thinking of giving them to a local pet store that is trying to get a colony going, and then just ordering 7/8-1 inch nymphs as feeders...

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Finally done with the notion of breeding and finally rid of those gross adults! I'll buy him dubia nymphs cause they'll be cheaper… but UGH. I just can't!

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Pushkin":2pzidkvh said:
Finally done with the notion of breeding and finally rid of those gross adults! I'll buy him dubia nymphs cause they'll be cheaper… but UGH. I just can't!

I have a feeling that I'm going to have the same reaction, so I keep putting it off.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
at least when he gets a little bigger you can add supers :] they are pretty well priced.. roughly $18 for 1000 that along with some nymphs i think you'll be okay :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom