Just Loose Skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Alright, I swear I post a new question or concern like twice a week, but hey, I figure the more I ask about things I don't know, the better I'll get at taking care of Gabriel. Today's question is something like this:

Gabriel seems to have a lot of skin that peaks, in a way that looks like when beardies are dehydrated. However, I believe he is well-hydrated, considering his urates are well-formed, there's usually a bit of extra liquid when he defecates, and when I performed the whole 'pinch the skin' test on a part of his skin that is flat, the skin immediately recedes back to smooth. Plus, when he has just eaten a very large meal, or when he's lying flat and basking, his skin immediately stretches and goes smooth again. It's actually something I noticed right after he had pooped and emptied his belly. He has been growing a lot lately in girth (he's about to shed his body, actually) as he's about 13-14 months old. I also had the thought of malnourishment, but I'm not feeding him less than usually, he eats about 20-30 crickets every day and a bowl of salad, which he usually eats readily, especially if it's a fruit day. He's also been getting extra treats of waxworms, too. So is this something that usually happens? Does he just have more skin to cover his girth, and he's growing into it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the moisture in poops is a better indicator of hydration than the skin for the most part. Their skin appears loose sometimes because they can rapidly expand their bodies when they want to puff out in defense or if they want to pancake out to increase surface area for basking etc. It's good that his appetite is up. Fresh salads will give him plenty of hydration.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hah well, his poop his definitely normal and hydrated. I feel a bit better then! As I said, it does flatten out entirely when he's a little flat pancake on his basking spot, so I'm going to go with it's just that loose-looking skin, unless something else happens that I feel indicates him not being well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom