Just doesn't eat his damn greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshandmushu

Hatchling Member
Right I've had this problem for ages now my bearded dragon just doesn't eat his greens, occasionally I can get him to eat some blueberries though and he eats his bugs everyday dusted with calcium 5 times a week and multivit twice a week, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

ps: he's two years old.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Stop feeding him bugs every day, and offer him greens only every other day. :)

Our usual routine here at the stores is bugs one day, greens the next, and adults skip a day and then get bugs again, greens again, skip a day...babies get insects nearly every day, and greens at the same time the adults do. Works well! You might want to try that, a 2 year old beardie is at the point where it's old enough to skip a "bug day" to just get greens.

-Jen

Joshandmushu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice I will probably try missing out some days of feeding bugs but for the meantime I think gutloading my insects should give him sufficient nutrition anyway, right?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Oh Boy...You Have Emmalee's Twin :roll:

Emmy is 3 years old 511 grams and 18 inches. Since day 1, (and I have had her since 8 weeks old), she has been offered all types of veggies and greens and fruit. All types, all sizes, sprinkled with vits, not sprinkled with vits, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening, for 1 week straight (no bugs offered), hand fed, bowl fed....etc...etc...etc....

It is a battle with her, and I am lucky, very lucky if she eats any veg, greens, fruit on her own. When she see me coming she usually closes her eyes, in an attempt to say if I can't see it it's not there. This is her basic defence for everything. If she eats anything it would be a bite or three of dandelion green one day, the following two weeks later one bite of strawberry. As you can see if left to her own devices for food she would be malnourished/starved.

She has also stopped eating butterworms, crickets, wax worms, and will only eat supers which she likes, but is hardly a rounded diet.

I also know at this point she should be eating more veg than protein, but if left to her own devices, there is no way that would happen.

So for the last two years, Emmalee gets her veggies is slurry form, or baby food form, by syringe. I put a drop or two on her nose and wait (sometimes a while before she starts licking). With this method she will usually eat 2-5 mls of veggie a day.

With baby food you can buy any beardie safe veggie, but make sure you are buying the food with no extra additives in it. For instance the Heinz butternut squash, is buttetrnut squash and water only. Most of the time I will mix a fruit with a veggie, to keep things interesting and diverse.

I have also made my own slurries by either using a hand blender or blender mixing all kinds of veggies such as collard green, mustard green, carrots, cucumber, squash, pumpkin, strawberry, blueberry, apple, pear.

I also buy ice cube trays and fill the left over food into the tray for individual portions. This way nothing is wasted and I have a variety of veggie/fruit slurry to choose from. Just before serving the veggie mix by syringe I will add small pinches of vits to the mixture as well.

I hope this helps, but after three years still have no real advice as to how to get a dragon to eat their veggies on their own. that is unless you have a dragon that loves them...I hate those dragons...LOL. Although, I am hoping that my next dragon will readily eat them, cause it would be so much easier.

FuzzyNavel

bayoupig5":2hijuqvs said:
Oh Boy...You Have Emmalee's Twin :roll:

Emmy is 3 years old 511 grams and 18 inches. Since day 1, (and I have had her since 8 weeks old), she has been offered all types of veggies and greens and fruit. All types, all sizes, sprinkled with vits, not sprinkled with vits, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening, for 1 week straight (no bugs offered), hand fed, bowl fed....etc...etc...etc....

It is a battle with her, and I am lucky, very lucky if she eats any veg, greens, fruit on her own. When she see me coming she usually closes her eyes, in an attempt to say if I can't see it it's not there. This is her basic defence for everything. If she eats anything it would be a bite or three of dandelion green one day, the following two weeks later one bite of strawberry. As you can see if left to her own devices for food she would be malnourished/starved.

She has also stopped eating butterworms, crickets, wax worms, and will only eat supers which she likes, but is hardly a rounded diet.

I also know at this point she should be eating more veg than protein, but if left to her own devices, there is no way that would happen.

So for the last two years, Emmalee gets her veggies is slurry form, or baby food form, by syringe. I put a drop or two on her nose and wait (sometimes a while before she starts licking). With this method she will usually eat 2-5 mls of veggie a day.

With baby food you can buy any beardie safe veggie, but make sure you are buying the food with no extra additives in it. For instance the Heinz butternut squash, is buttetrnut squash and water only. Most of the time I will mix a fruit with a veggie, to keep things interesting and diverse.

I have also made my own slurries by either using a hand blender or blender mixing all kinds of veggies such as collard green, mustard green, carrots, cucumber, squash, pumpkin, strawberry, blueberry, apple, pear.

I also buy ice cube trays and fill the left over food into the tray for individual portions. This way nothing is wasted and I have a variety of veggie/fruit slurry to choose from. Just before serving the veggie mix by syringe I will add small pinches of vits to the mixture as well.

I hope this helps, but after three years still have no real advice as to how to get a dragon to eat their veggies on their own. that is unless you have a dragon that loves them...I hate those dragons...LOL. Although, I am hoping that my next dragon will readily eat them, cause it would be so much easier.

Wow I really hope Jasmine doesn't turn out like that. Just starved her for 2 weeks and she still won't eat greens. It can be so frustrating sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom