Just Bought an UTH for Dubias but can't use on plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
I just bought an UTH from amazon for my dubia roaches. I have them in a sterilite tub though. I was reading mixed reviews online about the heating. It's the one for 10-20 gallon aquarium. I am really scared of starting a fire! Should I return it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as it doesn't malfunction, it shouldn't really be a problem.

Although, I use a human heating pad instead...
That would be more ideal, IMO.

-Brandon

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
Many have used it with no problems. If you are really worried, you can purchase a rheostat to control the temperature.

Or, you can return it and order Flexwatt heat tape. I am using heat tape with Sterilite containers and have no issues.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah I might return it. I was looking at options for the flexwatt heat tape but I think I may use the human heating pad. It just seemed like the human one is more dangerous to leave on, I guess not?

sunvaar

From what I've read, the UTH on the totes is fine as long as it's checked on. Most of the plastic totes have a heat capacity of 110-120 degrees, depending on the brand. So keeping your dubias at around 85-92 degrees shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I just started my own colony and I'm going to be using UTH's. Just to be safe though, I'll use them in conjunction with a auto-off thermostat I have that maintains the heat at a set temperature.

In addition, human heating pads can work but someone I know brought up a good point - most aren't made to run 24/7, for a reason. It's hard to find a model nowadays that doesnt have an auto-off feature because they're known to melt things around them/themselves, and start fires. They're made with cheap materials, so I would feel safer with a UTH- because they're made and tested to run 24/7. It's all personal preference though.

Just remember if you do decide on a human heating pad, get one without the auto-off feature! Don't want your dubias to freeze! :wink:

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I personally use a Zoo Med 30-40 gallon UTH with a lamp dimmer from Home Depot on my 45 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tote and it work fine. Have it set to the lowest setting and I got babies all over.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Personally I've been keeping the dubias for awhile now and they're still breeding in 70 degree temps in my house. I think I've bred super dubias through natural selection haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom