Just answer the questions..... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
This is a wonderful website. 90% of what I have learned isfrom here. I can't thank you guys enough.

My only complaint is that when people ask questions on here there is too much preaching. Example, a young guy asked a question about breeding and most of the answers had nothing to do about the question but rather trying to discourage this person. I wish there was less of this type of thing because knowing human nature, he will breed irregardless of how much people discourage him. My opinion is that the best thing to do in a case like this is to answer the question and leave all the other stuff out. Then he will continue to post, and learn the necessary skills to breed properly.
Hammering him with all kInds of negativity will just discourage him from using this site and he will end up without the proper knowledge to be successful.
This is just one example. You get my point.

Thanks so much.

Chris

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Actually your point is pretty valid.
Although-
When answering some questions on topics that could be detrimental to a dragons health, some of us may tend to direct the OP in a safer direction. Personally my goal on this forum is to establish safer routes for the pet owner so that the owner and pet alike, have the best experience possible. I also believe that the OP holds the actual power to where the thread goes. If someone asks a question and they are being directed in a path in which they do not choose, then it is up to the OP to ensure they are either asking the questions in a clear and understanding format or to reiterate what it is they are trying to achieve. If there is no further response from the OP then all I could assume is they took the advice given and is satisfied with the outcome of the thread and responses.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
I think we should answer the questions, so yes i agree with you totally.

I think we should also add any information from personal experience as we all know that word or mouth or what we hear or read can be different from what happens in reality. So in this case as long as the question is answered i see no harm in a bit of advice
:)

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys!
I just think it's too much sometimes. Like a guy will say "how's my lighting?" and someone will reply with "you shouldn't be using sand". 2 seconds on this website and you know what the consensus is on sand......... Another one is "here is a pic of my viv", with a reply being " you really shouldn't house 2 beardies together"
Like I said, way too much preaching and it could alienate some posters and prevent them from posting here.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
If you are referring to my posts, that boy had two dragons he had received two or so weeks prior that we about 4 weeks old by the looks of them.

I explained to him the risks of what could happen, and how breeding for money especially when you are not really prepared can be dangerous. The reason the thread turned into a preaching session was because one person accused us of trying to talk him out of doing it so he wouldn't steal our profit.

I have no problem with people answering question if someone came on who was set up and had a bit of knowledge and wanted to ask questions to learn more.

I however feel that when someone is obviously in a situation where they are unprepared and have no knowledge they should be warned and know of the risks.

I could not comment properly on his question as I do not know the finer points of breeding but I do know about the mistakes that people often make because this board is now littered with them.

In this case I felt there was a real risk to the dragons health not only the parents but the babies as well and felt that this person needed to know what he was getting himself into. Having your dragons for 2 weeks, who are still babies and already talking about breeding? I think that is a bit ridiculous.

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No I was not commenting at your posts specifically. Just citing a few examples.
Maybe I am the only one that feels this way but I just think there is too much off topic preaching sometimes and feel It could be detrimental to some. I am 38 but if I was 18 I would probably say "forget I even asked" and figure it out myself.

Still I can't say enough good things about this site. I am greatfull for it.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
No you aren't I do feel that answer are always the best way and I have no problem answering them.

The only time I usually ever start preaching is when there is a problem , a serious health problem, and the answer is either substrate or separation and after telling people "You know, you do this and everything will be fine" and they say "Nah i'm gunna keep it the way it is, bye"

The only reason that other thread really got to me is because of the situation, its one of those cases I would rather have him scared off the subject then help him out only to have him not be able to handle it when the time comes and have needless deaths or more pet shops get supplied.

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I appreciate your passion but I still stress that it's human nature for people to do what they want no matter what anyone tells them. Specially teenagers. So I think it's best to send them away with the best answers to their questions and give them the best chance at doing the right thing.
FYI I have only had my dragons 2 weeks and I am researching breeding. Maybe in 2 years I'd like to breed them. I am reading like crazy now so if I do choose to breed I will be well prepared.
Don't forget, every expert was a noobie at some point.

Cheers!

amen to this post.... i was just about to post one saying im sick of people picking at everything and not answering my questions. i ask what to do, when breeding (for future refference) then i get, your BD's aint old enought, do you now about money blah blah blah and if i didn't know that i would have asked you not asked you a question so you can tell me somthing you think i don't noow. i swear people just post random arguments so they can have more posts an stuff...... rant over :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

While it is important to always answer your questions, what a lot of people do not realize is that new owners do not always realize that by asking another question that may "seem" unrelated are actually related & are important to the overall setup of the tank.
Sometimes problems are twofold, & require more than just one answer. Yes, it may seem that people are picking on everything, & it does go too far sometimes, but a lot of the times, they are speaking out of experience.

As far as breeding goes, Adeno virus has affected a good amount of dragons & they need to be tested prior to breeding. It is a very big responsibility not only to breed but you have a responsibility of getting healthy dragons sold. If you sell ill dragons to new owners that are inexperienced, that is not ethical. There is more that goes into breeding than just breeding two dragons. There are a lot of things to consider beforehand.

This forum is here to educate & to learn.

Tracie

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I will say BD.org'ers need to learn how to give advice rather than just criticize. It is one thing to give advice and move on, but I feel like some posters seem to enjoy a good game of "attack the newb". I honestly can see why people are getting turned off from this site. A little bit of tact goes a long way.

i agree, people on this site (not everyone) tend to be critical about every question asked instead of answering a question they pick somthing that looks like a problem and dont say it would be better if you do this that way it ensures the health of your BD they straight go NOOO! you doing it wrong its gonna die quick help ohhh noooo this person isn't looking after his/her BD someone arrest him...... (not quite like that, but you get the point) i had my uv light 11inchs from the ground in a pic i posted and someone commented (not acul quote) omg your uv is like 2 foot away it needs to be closer or your BD will die. so i did move it closer. but without me asking people just stepped in, all i did was put it 4 inch away from the ground but the hammock was 3inch of the ground. plus i use calcium with vit/d3 to make sure he's ok an gets enought calcuim and vit/d3.
ahhhh i just don't want people to keep screwwing that i aint doing it right.... i read about BD's everyday, housing, lighting, heat, food, health, behaviour, anatomy and anything i can find. so when i ask a question i want a oppinion on what i asked not a lecture on something entirely different. soz about rant, pepz need to get the point don't winge at people, you will make them feel worthless and hopless instead be pleasant and advice not tell and then there is not problems and people will acully listen to eachother :D thank you for listening Bye

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
This is my own personal observations, and my opinion only... my apologies if I end up way off base and off track...

Some do come off with excellent advice, but the method of delivery may or may not be very good, others come off with horrible advice with excellent delivery, others just want to preach, while yet others are on a personal mission to prove everyone else wrong. I personally try to always look at the message which is being delivered and not the delivery, understand the context of the message, and the spirit in which it is being posted. There are subjective matters with some posts that we may not know or never know, for instance, they are posting because they wanted to help, but had just a few seconds, or posting from a mobile device that typing more then just a few sentences is an excruciating process, or it is a very raw issue for the person because they just suffered through something similar.
The point is we can not be face to face with the respondent and are not always aware of the full context or situation surrounding their response.

I know for instance, my response here for some is going to result in a TL;DR by some, possibly infuriate others, and possibly get completely torn apart.

There are some in every community be it on here or anywhere else in the world where there are the over zealous and everything in the world has to be this way or that exactly or else the world is going to end. There are those too that choose to ignore suggestions and things work out well, or often enough disastrous.

You give a couple of great examples, but this is the way I see some of them which may be different then how everyone else on this or any other part of the universe may see them.

For instance the breeding. If someone is doing the breeding for the right reasons, there is a very good chance they are going to read a large part of the breeding forum before ever posting a question about it, at least that is what I would do, then ask for clarification on some of the things which may have conflicting information in it, or may not be clear to them. From what I've seen these people also seem to ask their questions in a more constructive way, get a lot less resistance if any at all, and receive extremely helpful targeted answers, the reason why is because they've done their home work before hand.

There are those though that feel there is an easier, softer way of learning which is to just post something to the effect of, hey I got two beardies and I'm gonna breed them, give me the cliff notes on how to do it. Then when resistance is met they snap off with they are telling you not to do it so they can make more money selling their own. I have seen posters that in just a few weeks time went from being in school living with their parents to being married and having a large colony of beardies, own a house with a successful breeding program. By the sounds of it they have camp fires going all night and they sing the beardie equivalent of kum by ya telling people to just do it, don't listen to those that are giving you warnings, basically saying it just works.

Your other example of the lighting question getting responses about the sand that is the viv. I look at this way, it's really no different than someone saying hey I just had a baby, and built a nursery, do you think this mobile which I hung over head is going to be pleasing and calming to the baby. Then someone notices the crib has lead paint chips all over it. A potentially dangerous situation that may not be directly related to the question at hand, but an important issue that should be brought to the attention of the person asking the question about the mobile. I have seen in the past when something bad happens such as a potentially dangerous sub straight has been used, and the results are disastrous, the person who has the disaster on their hands often say that they wish they had known better.

There are quite a few other "hot button" issues where people are divided. The beauty of beardeddragon.org is that regardless of your opinion, experience, knowledge levels, your thoughts, and ideas can be heard with everyone else's.

I am also sorry to say, but how the question is asked, and the language used in a question very often is also a factor in the kind of responses which are received. I've personally have noticed that posts which used a lot of l33t/shorthand/t9/txt speak, or contain a lot of errors, gets responded to very differently than those that contain very little or none of it at all.

I try to always keep in mind the old saying, a smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Drache613":30k6nomm said:
Hello,

While it is important to always answer your questions, what a lot of people do not realize is that new owners do not always realize that by asking another question that may "seem" unrelated are actually related & are important to the overall setup of the tank.
Sometimes problems are twofold, & require more than just one answer. Yes, it may seem that people are picking on everything, & it does go too far sometimes, but a lot of the times, they are speaking out of experience.

As far as breeding goes, Adeno virus has affected a good amount of dragons & they need to be tested prior to breeding. It is a very big responsibility not only to breed but you have a responsibility of getting healthy dragons sold. If you sell ill dragons to new owners that are inexperienced, that is not ethical. There is more that goes into breeding than just breeding two dragons. There are a lot of things to consider beforehand.

This forum is here to educate & to learn.

Tracie

This is put perfectly.

To say negative comments on sand when in an introduction, well most people know this is coming, as well as when people post pictures upon asking about lighting. I see a lot of people who join BD.org and in their intros they say things to the effect of "long time reader, first time poster". There is a consensus here about sand but, all in all if you post not only will you generally receive an answer but, there is always going to be an opinion to follow. Is that a bad thing? I personally do not think so. If I was to post on something like lighting and if I used sand and I got an answer to my lighting as well as opinions on the sand I would be happy that I was able to get that information before it had it's chance to potentially cause any adverse effects on my dragons. 2 birds with one stone, you know? There is often times that people get their reptiles and supplies from pet store chains, the people they consult are not always on board with options. They tend to tell the customers get this, this and that. Do this and then do that. I have never went into one of these chains and gotten well there is this, or you could go this route and this is a possibility of why. Thanks for people like me! LOL :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats just life.
Its unrealistic to expect everyone to conform to one "standard" of posting, there are many different types of people on this board, and I honestly don't think that people asking questions are really bothered by a long post. When I have questions that I post I get excited to see someone even took the time to post on my thread.

Honestly, if it ever gets to a point where "we" all have to answer questions a certain way, and sugar coat our replies because we are more worried about keeping a member here instead of potentially saving a beardie, well.. It will be a sad day.
Yea, i'm not one who will sugar coat to make it seem like 'ooh its not so bad just do this and this and this'. Not everyone appreciates it but thats who I am, and when it gets down to it, its still helping that person.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom