Just a random thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Since I've heard that beardies do indeed absorb water through their vents, would it be possible to make kind of a calcium bath instead of dusting their live feeders?
Just a thought I had and I would rather add some dust to his bath then his feeders..

gini

Sub-Adult Member
That thought has crossed through my mind as well. Then I wondered... I don't know exactly how much they take in through their vent and wouldn't know how much supplement to put in.... So I will wait this out, and see what the experts say. :wink:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Well you actually want them to get it directly into the body that way it can get spread throughout! A better dosage! Also with calcium in water it will stain your beardies skin! Just my 2cents!! Good luck..

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks Lance... I knew someone would have a good reason, or everyone would just do that. :D

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Alright, then on live feeders the calcium dust will go..
Drat!
When I put the calcium dust on his supers, it doesn't even look like there's anything on them...

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What if I mix up some water with calcium and have him lick that off my finger instead of the regular water??
He doesn't seem interested in the crix anymore since I've been feeding the supers..
And I can't get the calcium dust to stay on the supers (at least it doesn't look like there's anything on them)
Just trying to think outside the box here :D

Loganator

Juvie Member
My finicky Izzy suddenly decided he would not eat anything that had been dusted. (Silly dragon, it used to be the other way around. He would ONLY he stuff that had dust on it.) Anyway, about a month and a half ago when he stopped eating anything that had calcium dust on it, I knew I had to get calcium in him somehow. So I ordered the liquid calcium from the beautiful dragons website. And, woohoo!, he loves it!! I just syringe some (0.1cc per 100 grams of body weight) on the tip of his nose and he laps it up. This is great as I know the liquid calcium is absorbed much better than the powder. I watched his urates for yellow color for the first couple weeks to make sure he was not getting too much and have settled on once every other day. It's working out beautifully.

Edit: Off topic a little here. Hey Sarbear! I know you recently started feeding supers as a staple. I also feed supers as a staple. I think I saw on one of your posts that you started a colony of supers. Is that hard to do? How do you get started? PM me if you want, okay? Thanks

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":66940 said:
You can also dust his salad!! :D
That would be a great idea if he would eat his salads :(
Howie is a brat :roll:
Loganator":66940 said:
My finicky Izzy suddenly decided he would not eat anything that had been dusted. (Silly dragon, it used to be the other way around. He would ONLY he stuff that had dust on it.) Anyway, about a month and a half ago when he stopped eating anything that had calcium dust on it, I knew I had to get calcium in him somehow. So I ordered the liquid calcium from the beautiful dragons website. And, woohoo!, he loves it!! I just syringe some (0.1cc per 100 grams of body weight) on the tip of his nose and he laps it up. This is great as I know the liquid calcium is absorbed much better than the powder. I watched his urates for yellow color for the first couple weeks to make sure he was not getting too much and have settled on once every other day. It's working out beautifully.

Edit: Off topic a little here. Hey Sarbear! I know you recently started feeding supers as a staple. I also feed supers as a staple. I think I saw on one of your posts that you started a colony of supers. Is that hard to do? How do you get started? PM me if you want, okay? Thanks
Now could I just make my own "liquid calcium"? Or is this not doable?

Hey!! Yeah I did "try" to start my own colony, but I just put each super in it's own container on the 28th, so I'm still waiting for them to pupate. There's a lot in a "C" shape right now, and as far as I know that means they're almost ready to pupate. A few have died though :?
I found that keeping them in a dark room, that is kept pretty warm is the best for them. I started keeping them in my room, but they all became "lifeless" and another BD.org member told me it may be too cold for them, so I put them in my closet where it's warmer and sure enough, they started moving around and eventually went into their "C" shape. If it all turns out well, I'll have to let you know how I did it and all that. But right now I'm not so sure if it's even going to work :?

Loganator

Juvie Member
I'm not sure about making liquid calcium from the powder. It's probably just easier to order it. The liquid calcium from Veronica at beautifuldragons.com is sweet (yes, I tasted it) so they must add something to make it taste better. Doesn't cost much and goes a long way. she also ships quickly. I ordered on a Wednesday and it arrived by mail on Friday.

Let me know how the superworm colony goes. I may try it if it works for you. I think Barbara (fresnowitte) breeds her own too. Maybe I'll check with her.

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Loganator":5515c said:
I'm not sure about making liquid calcium from the powder. It's probably just easier to order it. The liquid calcium from Veronica at beautifuldragons.com is sweet (yes, I tasted it) so they must add something to make it taste better. Doesn't cost much and goes a long way. she also ships quickly. I ordered on a Wednesday and it arrived by mail on Friday.

Let me know how the superworm colony goes. I may try it if it works for you. I think Barbara (fresnowitte) breeds her own too. Maybe I'll check with her.
I'll just order it then, better to be safe then sorry :)

Guess what?!
We've got pupae!! :D
I made a new thread explaining everything as far as what you need and all the details, you can find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=115616

Loganator

Juvie Member
Thanks Sara! Headed over to the other thread now to check out the details of starting a superworm colony.

Loganator

Juvie Member
Yep, that's it. Izzy is almost 500 grams (a very big healthy dragon!) so I give him 0.5cc's every other day. I still keep an eye on his urates for yellowing and will skip a day if they are not really white. You might have to play with how often you give it. If the urate starts to look yellow he is getting too much. At first, I was giving it every day, but his urates started to look a little yellow, so now we're doing every other day or so. Fortunately Izzy loves the taste, so he licks it right from the syringe. It may be my imagination, but he actually seems to be healthier / happier on the liquid calcium, more active, better appetite, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom