Just a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klogue1

I think this is the right forum to post it anyways...

But my question is, just curious, why do we supplement calcium WITH D3 if we provide UVB lights?

Newbie question, sorry. Ive only ever had nocturnal reptiles before so UVB is a first for me.

MissT

BD.org Addict
D3 is the vitamin needed to process calcium. With tube lighting, insufficient amounts of D3 can be produced so this needs to be supplemented with the D3 in the calcium to ensure the beardie can process it correctly :D

Hope this helps
T

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
You don't need to supplement D3 unless there is a known D3 deficiency and is then recommended by a vet. D3 toxicity can be very harmful even fatal to your dragons and without being able to do the required blood work to check D3 levels you could be poisoning your pet.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Klogue1":23anojp9 said:
Oh... So I shouldn't supplement D3? I have a UVB light too.

Toxicity due to D3 would require large amounts of D3 coming from their diet. If you use a powder with D3, make sure to use a pinch, instead of caking the insects/veggies with it. There are conflicting reports (not real research as far as I've read) that D3 powder can't be absorbed, that D3 is not needed if the beardies get out in the sun every day, that D3 is essential to a beardie's development, that D3 can replace the need for a UVB, etc. Use your best judgement when reading things off the internet. That being said, a lot of the people here do recommend that you use a calcium powder with D3 if you're using a tube style UVB. If you use a MVB, then it is generally not recommended that you use D3.

Klogue1

Original Poster
randommonks":3ism5nl7 said:
Klogue1":3ism5nl7 said:
Oh... So I shouldn't supplement D3? I have a UVB light too.

Toxicity due to D3 would require large amounts of D3 coming from their diet. If you use a powder with D3, make sure to use a pinch, instead of caking the insects/veggies with it. There are conflicting reports (not real research as far as I've read) that D3 powder can't be absorbed, that D3 is not needed if the beardies get out in the sun every day, that D3 is essential to a beardie's development, that D3 can replace the need for a UVB, etc. Use your best judgement when reading things off the internet. That being said, a lot of the people here do recommend that you use a calcium powder with D3 if you're using a tube style UVB. If you use a MVB, then it is generally not recommended that you use D3.
Ah ok, thank you very much for helping! I use a UVB tube, so I will start supplementing when I feed Crestasia next time. Luckily I had D3 calcium around from before! (not extremely old, a couple months, is that ok?)

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Klogue1":2lrn20jk said:
Ah ok, thank you very much for helping! I use a UVB tube, so I will start supplementing when I feed Crestasia next time. Luckily I had D3 calcium around from before! (not extremely old, a couple months, is that ok?)

I'm not sure if those types of powder expire. I'll leave that to someone else. I've had my powder for 3 months now, and it's nowhere close to being even slightly used...

Klogue1

Original Poster
randommonks":31gbgvo1 said:
Klogue1":31gbgvo1 said:

I'm not sure if those types of powder expire. I'll leave that to someone else. I've had my powder for 3 months now, and it's nowhere close to being even slightly used...
Same here hah, that's why I wonder if they do expire, and hopefully not too soon... I'm only about a sixth of a way used!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They do expire, but it takes them more than a couple months. They last at least a year for sure, but you should check the container, it does have an expiration date somewhere. Its hard to find and see but I could barely make out a Feb 11 on my container ( i keep containers for various things lol)

You don't need to worry about D3 toxicity. Like said before, you still need D3 with the uvb bulbs because even though they are good, they aren't the sun. Unless you have a really strong bulb like a mercury vapor bulb, thats when you don't really need to suplement with D3.

-Brandon

Klogue1

Original Poster
claudiusx":kvsiir22 said:
They do expire, but it takes them more than a couple months. They last at least a year for sure, but you should check the container, it does have an expiration date somewhere. Its hard to find and see but I could barely make out a Feb 11 on my container ( i keep containers for various things lol)

You don't need to worry about D3 toxicity. Like said before, you still need D3 with the uvb bulbs because even though they are good, they aren't the sun. Unless you have a really strong bulb like a mercury vapor bulb, thats when you don't really need to suplement with D3.

-Brandon
Hm... ok, I understand now. :) Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom