Joints continuing to swell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
I took in a bearded dragon a little less than a year ago. Someone found her in a pool hanging onto a pool skimmer and offered her up on Facebook. She was really thin and dirty but had a huge appetite and was really active when I first got her. I estimated her age to be under 2 years based on the shape and color of her teeth (very sharp and white). About 2 months in, her front right hand swelled up and she was limping on it pretty badly. Then 2 weeks later the swelling disappeared and she was fine. Another month after that, her left hand swelled up, same thing, it just disappeared after a week. It's been on and off like that and I looked up the symptoms and it sounded like gout flare-ups. Fast forward to 3 months ago, both of her back legs stiffened up. They don't look swollen or anything but she shivers when I touch them or try to stretch them out. Just recently both of her hands swelled up so she's almost immobile. Though it doesn't stop her from trying to run around by shimmying and using her chin. I can't tell how much pain she's in because I wouldn't think she'd aggravate the swelling by trying to move around all the time.

Anyways 4 months ago I was looking up ways to improve gout and a couple websites said to reduce the protein in their diet and make sure they're getting lots of water and calcium. So I switched her from supers and dubias every day to greens (yellow squash, zucchini & collard greens) 2 days, 3-4 supers with greens 1 day, then more greens the next 2 days, etc. And I've gotten her to drink water from a small syringe so that I don't have to stress her by moving her into a tub every day. I'm not really sure why her symptoms have gotten worse, or if it's even gout at all. She has a brand new UVB and her basking spot is 109 with the cool side at 79. I check on her every now and then and she moves between the hot side and the cool side. She has a hammock under her light but she isn't able to get up there anymore. At least I know she's actively basking so that's a good sign. I just don't really know what to do. I can take her to the vet for x-rays to see the shape her joints and bones are in but there isn't an exotic vet in town so x-rays are all they can give me.

keith167

Hatchling Member
An Xray would be good. Maybe MBD related, especially since she was found, who knows where she was and what her surroundings were.
A Bloodtest would be good. Could help to identify infections and Uric acid levels could suggest kidney disease (like gout) especially if fasted prior to drawing bood... A regular vet could probly do this.

I am taking a Beardie Monday to have fluid aspirated with the hopes of determining what is going on with her. Swelling on and off for months. Have tried all kinds of stuff... Theres definitely some mystery when these guys get sick... :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a blood test may be helpful. Drawing blood from a dragon can be tricky though so you'd want someone who has experience performing the procedure. If they are able to perform the blood draw but can't interpret the results you can post them on here for assistance with interpretation. In the meantime, try offering some dark cherry juice extract to help reduce inflammation. This will help if the issue is gout related. If it's the tissue becoming inflamed, then perhaps some Serrapeptase would help.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You need to find an exotic vet who has experience with reptiles. Preferably one that has on site testing/lab facilities. Lots of people have to travel out of town for reptile treatment. Reptiles need treatment at the first sign of illness. If this has been going on for months medical treatment is long overdue.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad the swelling is still present.
I would tend to think it is kidney related, but a blood test would definitely be the best way to determine how they are functioning.
Are you giving any black cherry juice & extra fluids to see if that helps out?
I hope it isn't an infection, like septic arthritis or something like that.
How often are you supplementing calcium & vitamins?
Which UVB are you using for her?
If you have pictures please post them just so we can see the condition of her.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like gout flair ups. As Tracie said it might not be diet related. The kidneys filter the uric acid from the blood. If the animal is on a low protein diet and still has high uric acid levels, the uric acid isn't getting filtered (kidneys are failing). The uric acid crystals precipitate out in the kidneys, bladder, joints, and sometimes the liver. If its in the joints it can cause flair ups, and cause gouty arthritis.
But a blood test should help check kidney function. Urocit-K is a medication used in humans to help clear uric acid. I think its used in vet medicine also.
But the symptoms could be a myriad of other things. Some common (infection), others rare (sympathetic dystrophy)

Kidd123

How much calcium do you give her? She could have Metallic Bone Disease (MBD). She has the symptoms of it. Have you taken her to the vet yet?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Tracie asked about the UV and calcium to rule out MBD :)
I hope we get a response soon. I tend to worry even if it isn't my animal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom