Jeffrey's Bone Density

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash1ey

I first noticed Jeffrey limping on the couch Thursday morning. Since then he just sat on the ground of his tank and wouldn't climb or walk too much. I gave it a couple hours and then gave him a bath to see if that made him feel better (I don't know why, he hates getting baths). As I was patting him dry when I'd touch his right hind leg, he'd move it away, so I figured this was the injured leg. I took him to the vet this afternoon and he had some x-rays done, and nothing was broken, thank goodness. The vet figured he may have fallen off his logs and hurt his hip, so he gave him medicine, but he showed me the x-rays and said his bones were small. They did look thin to me too. He said he was worried about his bone density and sent him home with a calcium supplement. I feel like a horrible beardie mom. But my question is, Jeffrey is now 7 months old, is it too soon to reverse this? I should have asked the doctor, but I was just frazzled by that time. Thanks for listening!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Topic moved to Health
Hi
I am sorry to hear about your beardie but to answer your question no its no too late to help him.Did the vet send you home with liquid calcium?Also and this is very important what type of UVB are you using?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded dragons are supposed to get calcium dusted on their food once a day. If you have not been doing this he will eventually get an irreversible disease called MBD. Metabolic bone disease. Dragon's need calcium and uvb light in order for their body to process it correctly. You need to be sure to give him the calcium every single day or his bones will become deformed. Is the medication your vet gave you called Calcitonen? If it is this is what they usually give herps to speed recovery and help bones stabilize. If you want more info just do a google search for MBD. There are also some previous threads on here about MBD. Hope this helps.

Ash1ey

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!! He's been getting calcium dust, but maybe just not enough. I'm so glad to have ya'll to look to.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
VEGASLIZARD":bf5a7 said:
Bearded dragons are supposed to get calcium dusted on their food once a day. If you have not been doing this he will eventually get an irreversible disease called MBD. Metabolic bone disease. Dragon's need calcium and uvb light in order for their body to process it correctly. You need to be sure to give him the calcium every single day or his bones will become deformed. Is the medication your vet gave you called Calcitonen? If it is this is what they usually give herps to speed recovery and help bones stabilize. If you want more info just do a google search for MBD. There are also some previous threads on here about MBD. Hope this helps.

This post is not entirely true. MBD is reversible if caught in time. It takes some effort on the owners part but it can be done. There is also some dragons that develop MBD with the proper lights and supplements.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Also, what type & brand of UVB light are you using? No amount of calcium will help him if you are not using a UVB source. Are you using a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
Calcitonin is not recommended for a dragon with low calcium stores, initially. While it does serve its purpose in helping with MBD, initially if the calcium levels in the blood are too low, & calcitonin is given, it can cause cardiac failure & possible death. The purpose of Calcitonin is to stabilize the calcium within the bone. However, the blood calcium has to be high enough to allow enough calcium to be pulled from the blood & drawn into the bones first. Upon examination, the blood calcium & phosphorus levels should be evaluated first before giving that drug.
Liquid calcium is what should be initially given. How long are you supposed to be giving him the liquid, & what is the amount being given?
I agree, it is reversable to some extent if it is caught quickly & treated.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom