Jango (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.. not sure who all read my introduction link so I guess i'll start by saying hi, my name is Tammy.. I'm a 38 year old, stay at home mommy of one human, my son Nathan (7yrs) and to Jango. My hubby bought Jango for me on Feb. 29, 2012 at a well known pet store near us.."Gittlers". The lady who took care of us there told us that Jango was only a few weeks old when we got him..so if that's correct he should be about 4 months old.. or somewhere around that i'm guessing. Not sure what kind of beardie he is though. He's currently in a 20 gallon reptile tank with reptile carpet and the lights that came with the tank.. I know I need to get new lights for him asap..just need the $$. He loves his crickets (dusted w/calcium 1x day) and he gets kale and turnip greens with some carrots and cucumber.. once in awhile I give him some apple, wich he loves. his basking side stays between 99 and 105 and his shady side stays about 75.

Jango loves being out of his terrarium and looking out the window, 'specially when the sun is shining and I can have it open.. I always supervise him. I don't trust him enough yet to let him have run of the house but I do let him run around on the couch and once in awhile in my son's bedroom, we block all the holes up and keep a close eye on him, a few times he'd snuggle with my son's stuffed animals and go to sleep, he even fell asleep once on the dresser behind the CD player. I can walk around the house with him hanging onto my shirt or sitting on my shoulder, wichever he feels like doing. Once in awhile I will take him into the bedroom with all the fish... yeah.. we have lots of fish.. mostly Chiclids.. 75 gallon, 55 gallon, a few 20 gallons, 10 gallons and a 5 gallon..oh also got a 29 gallon with gold fish in it.. hubby wants to get another 55 gallon and also wants to get Jango a 40 gallon breeder tank.

On with the pictures:..

Jango when we first came home 2/29/12:
034.jpg

a few days later 3/8/12:
009.jpg

he loves lookin' out the window 3/21/12:
017.jpg

lookin at the gold fish 4/4/12:
029.jpg

Jango's home 4/4/12:
039.jpg

My son and Jango looking out the window 4/9/12:
001-1.jpg

enjoying the sun on a beautiful day 4/16/12:
008-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Then and now 4/21/12:
Jangobabyandbigger.jpg

sleeping 5/1/12:
005-2.jpg

5/3/12:
008-2.jpg

playing with the tape measure 5/6/12:
020-2.jpg

my handsome dragon 5/8/12:
004-1.jpg

puffin' out his beard 5/9/12:
010-1.jpg

5/10/12:
013-1.jpg

5/13/12:
040-1.jpg

Happy Mother's Day!
043-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

Who's that handsome fella? 5/15/12:
002-2.jpg

That's it for now.. sorry for so many.. there are many more if you would like to see more you can visit this link:
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/TLynnH73/Jango/

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
6/5/14 Thursday 9:05pm

Jango has a clean bill of health :blob8: Everyone was amazed by him and how big he is.. they said they never seen a bearded dragon in there as big as he is, even the other people there to get their animals checked were amazed by his size and how calm he was. She checked his poo and it came back negative.. no parasites! Yay! She looked in his mouth and all over and said he's a very healthy and good looking dragon. I mentioned that I was worried about his breathing and she said that with his age he's probably developing new sexual behaviors he didn't have before.. blowing out his beard and stomach to make himself look more tough and such.. the big bad beardie on the block. She said if it was a respiratory infection he'd do it all the time wich he doesn't, he does do it alot but not ALL the time. But even with her words of wisdom.. I still have a feeling something's wrong.. I dont' know why though. He just doesn't run around like he use to.. and have the bright orange colors like he use to.. mabie that's because he did'nt have good lights for so long and he'll get back to being himself after he gets what he needs from his lights.. Mike says I worry to much.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well that is great news & no, you're a mom, you worry like a mom does and you also know your dragon alot better than Mike does. I always pay attention to my intuition about my dragons, but sometimes I'm off a bit. If the vet checked his chest and he's not got the clicking going and mucus coming from his mouth, then it probably isn't RI, there are definite signs. I have a feeling he's still recovering from the lack of UVB. It'll be nice when it's sunny out so you can get him outside, absorbing UVB, that will also help.

I'm hoping that you won't have any serious health issues either when you get the rest of the testing done. I'm praying you'll be just fine.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1o8zb6qf said:
If the vet checked his chest and he's not got the clicking going and mucus coming from his mouth, then it probably isn't RI, there are definite signs.

That's just it.. she didn't "listen" to his chest.. she did open his mouth and looked inside though.. She's the vet so i guess I should trust her judgement though.. I guess time will tell.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
There would probably be mucous, but the main thing is they make a clicking sound or so I've heard. If you pick him up & put the upper part of his chest, tummy side, to your ear, see if you can hear anything whooshy or clicky happening in his chest. If so, then see if you can see the vet again for free to let her know there is an issue. If not, then he's ok, which I'm hoping he is.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
6/20/14 Friday 5:50pm

Hey everyone... Jango jumped off the windowsill in the livingroom the day before yesterday.. I had pillows down there just incase.. I had to run to the kitchen for something quick and that's when he decided to jump down.. not sure how he landed but now he has a dark bruise looking spot on his head.. it wasn't there before so that's why I think he got it when he jumped.. is there anything I can put on it??? He sure has me worried anymore.. ugh! His breathing still doesn't seem right with me.. even though the vet said he was fine.. just bothers me she didn't listen to his breathing or anything like that.. I read an article..

Respiratory Infections

Beardies are very resistant to respiratory infections. However, prolonged exposure to low temperatures, improper humidity, and poor cage conditions could result in respiratory problems. Treatment for this type of infection usually involves administering antibiotics and raising the ambient temperature of the environment. Symptoms include gaping, forced exhalation of air, puffing of the throat, a puffed up appearance of the body, and lack of appetite. In some cases, the mucus may accumulate in the mouth and/or emerge from the nostrils. If these symptoms are present the illness is usually well progressed and an immediate visit to the vet is necessary for treatment. Respiratory infections are nothing to something to take lightly. I have seen many reptiles die as a result of RI's and all of them could've been saved if their owner would've taken them to the vet sooner. At the first sign of trouble - take your beardie to the vet.

He gapes alot, seems like he has forced exhalation of air and he puffs his throat alot and a puffed up appearance of the body.. he seems to eat ok and doesn't have the mucus though. I don't have the money to take him back to the vet right now.. he's been running around when I have him out too.

Here are pictures of his "boo boo" on his head..I feel awful and just want to cry :cry:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I don't think there's much you can do about a bruise, silly bugger, jumping down like that! A bit of ice, maybe, but it doesn't look swollen. I'm not sure what to tell you Tammy, I've never seen anything like this before. If I were you, I'l send that picture to Tracie, her user name is drache613, she's as good as any vet and might have a better idea of what to do for him. What a worry. As for the breathing, if he had an RI, he'd be showing it more by now. That's another thing you can send in your PM to Tracie. She'll answer you asap, or you can post it in ER, too. I wish I could help more. Give him a big hug from all of us.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tammy,

I PM'd you this evening.
How is Jango doing tonight, did you warm up his tank for him overnight to around 80?

As Deb said, there isn't much you can do for a bruise poor guy. Does he walk normally since he jumped/fell recently? You could try some aloe vera gel which could help out a little on the skin or unpasteurized honey also. The area will likely shed off eventually once the bruising goes away.
He is eating pretty well though, even his greens also?

Tracie

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so glad to hear he has a clean bill of health and as always he is a beautiful boy. You take the best pictures of him. They really show the detail.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
6/24/14 Tuesday 6:30pm

Hey all.. just popped in to say hello. Jango is doing good.. the bruise on his head already looks like it's gonna shed soon. The only thing he wants to eat though is superworms.. He's all out of worms at the time being though and eats very little of his greens and will only eat a bite or two if I hand feed him.. he's so spoiled. I think I might buy alittle can of pumpkin and see if he will eat that. I want to get him some other kind of worm too.. not supers.. his vet said I should give him a variety.. wish he'd eat crickets again. Mike won't let me get dubia's or any kind of roach so that's out. I even got him those beardie bites.. he use to love those.. now he won't eat them either.. ugh. I gave him some apple this morning and he chowed that down and he'll eat grapes too.. but I don't like to give him alot of that stuff. Thanks Tracie for all the help and info.

Not sure if I said anything before but the doctor said I'm good.. he didn't see anything but cysts but he wants to do a biopsy of one on my left side just to be sure.. I go on thursday for that.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad to hear that it's cysts, I have them, too, they come & go & cause alot of frustration but at least they're not cancerous. So glad to hear that.

As for Jango, he's being a brat, just like mine. Only Puff eats her greens on her own & not that many, she likes them crispy so waits a day until she'll eat them. The others all have to be hand fed, so you could try that. They don't need alot of greens to get the nutrition. I have 2 that eat supers but I hand them out only twice a week. Puff gets 3 a day, so that makes up for her allotment weekly. Don't know what else to suggest. I never did believe that 80% greens to 20% bugs thing, it never worked for me. :lol:

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Thanks for stopping by. I love all the pictures of Jango, especially the one with the buttercup on his head lol. He looks so sweet in the pictures of him sleeping. Wish I could get mine outside but cant to due to all the storms. We have had tornadoes, dime to ping pong ball sized hail. Just nasty weather. I am happy to hear that you have cysts and that its nothing worse. Cysts are usually benign and nothing to worry about. Will be thinking of you when you get your biopsy. You will be sore for a couple of days possibly but that goes away quickly. Glad to hear Jango will be shedding his bruise. There is not a whole lot you can do for a bruise and I am happy he is doing well and did not have any other problems from his jump. Silly Jango to worry his mommy like that. I need to get my two fed breakfast now so you have a great day.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
6/26/14 Thursday 1:00am

Hey all.. just wanted to stop in and see what's up. I got Jango to eat some of his beardie bites today along with a bite of salad and a few chunks of peeled grapes (seedless). I gave him a bath and he poo'd and then wanted outside once out of the bath and dried. I told him he couldn't go out today because of the rain so he ran around the house abit then found a dark place and fell asleep... gave me the stink eye when I woke him up to put him back in his viv.

Here's some pics from today .. well wednesday..

not a great shot but here's the boo boo on his head.. gonna shed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tammy,

Jango looks nice & colorful though! Great pictures of him. :D
Too bad he couldn't get outside with the rain. So he decided to eat some of his beardie bites & some salad?
He ended up finding a dark corner in the house & tried to sleep, that is typical.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom